What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Post »

I wonder what the best way to get rid of that smell would be? Keep washing and air it?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Post wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:39 pm I wonder what the best way to get rid of that smell would be? Keep washing and air it?
I find airing them does the trick. I've not bothered washing them to be honest but I'm a scruff.
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:32 pm I'd love to get some of the US-style 5-gallon buckets (with decent lids) but they seem hard to come by over here so I bought one of these to try out instead. Solid enough etc. but the plastic pong is pretty damn strong in it!

I've left it open in the loft to try to air it out bit for a while - wouldn't fancy food tasting/smelling of it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Go to Wilkinson’s and buy a 5 gallon food grade brewing bucket. Snap on lid , 9 quid.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Go to Wilkinson’s and buy a 5 gallon food grade brewing bucket. Snap on lid , 9 quid.
Ah, definitely worth a look, a pain that they're twice the price of the US versions :-/
Last edited by peejay on Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jansman

Post by jansman »

peejay wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:23 pm
[/quote]

Ah, definitely worth a look, a pain that they're twice the price of the US versions :-/
[/quote]
That’s life! Remember though, they are great for storing water too. And brewing beer!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

I've just joined. Did a little prepping a while ago but getting back into it.
First task is to get a decent clothing to go with my 'get home bag'. Already got walking boots and trousers but need to sort a decent coat. Then on to bag and car prep.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

peejay wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:32 pm I'd love to get some of the US-style 5-gallon buckets (with decent lids) but they seem hard to come by over here so I bought one of these to try out instead. Solid enough etc. but the plastic pong is pretty damn strong in it!

I've left it open in the loft to try to air it out bit for a while - wouldn't fancy food tasting/smelling of it...

I bought some on amazon last year (link below) highly recomend, I bought 10 x 15L buckets with lids looks like the price has increased slightly since then but they still come in at £2.80 a bucket which isnt bad. they're Food grade plastic too, none have broken, one has been in constant use as I fill it with Pasta (fuisilli) and stick it in a kitchen cupboard (15L bucket will take 6Kg of dry pasta)

Last edited by xplosiv1 on Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Roped Her Maj into going through the 'zombie stores' and trying to organise them better. We've gone some of the way along to where I want to be and hopefully she's getting the storage issues, or the lack of decent storage issues. A bit of a breakthrough really, the seed has been planted.

Also been a badass and been buying stuff. :oops: One of my EDC torches seems to have died so natch, need to buy a couple to replace it and while online bought a few more bits and bobs, you can never have enough rechargeable batteries. Or other random torches it seems. :oops: :oops:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Finally got around to writing up our "personal medical info" lists yesterday.

The wife had nasty accident a few weeks back which required the emergency services / ambulance to be called, and I realised that I didn't have all her essential personal information and med list immediately on hand (or in my head) to give to the paramedics. :oops:

So now we each have a printed list, in plastic sleeve, one on the kitchen notice board and another hidden in the car.; we had a good look around at what information others had included and ended up with this;

NAME
NHS NUMBER
DOB
HEIGHT
WEIGHT
BLOOD TYPE
ALLERGIES
CURRENT MEDICAL CONDITIONS
MEDCIAL HISTORY (Surgery & hereditary family issues)
CURRENT MEDS LIST (just cut off the strips from boxes / prescriptions)
NAME OF DOCTOR
DISPENSING CHEMIST
NEXT OF KIN

Some other usuful information might include;
RELIGIOUS / CULTURAL INFO
TIME OF ACCIDENT

It all fits quite easily onto a postcard size sheet. At least now if a similar situation arises I wont have to scramble around and stress out so much.

Plus the emergency services will love me :D
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Arwen: Have you heard of the Message in a bottle ?

A lot of the older folks (and a few of the younger singletons) around here use them.

One advantage is that unless your fridge is the seat of fire the contents tend to survive
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar