What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
diamond lil

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by diamond lil »

Deeps - where do you get dried veg?
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jennyjj01 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 pm ]Thanks,
Variety is the spice of life. At 39p a bar, I think 11 bars next time i visit.

Meanwhile Lidl Mixed Dried fruit is amazing value at £1.09 per 500g

Someone mentioned Lidl tinned spuds at 19p. I might have bought the last of their stock forever. A lidl employee said they'd discontinued it for now.
540g tin WAS 19p and pretty damned good, especially fried up in a bit of ghee.

Currently working on a SHTF meal plan for my stash. It never occurred to me how to make a palatable meal out of canned fish without bread. And rice and pasta does not a meal make. I have a gazillion calories of rations and not so many acceptable meal options.
Working on it. Will post up soon.
:?
I guess this is where the "store what you eat, eat what you store" comes into play. Like you I've got a fair old whack of stuff hidden away and I've tried to concentrate on what we eat. I should (fingers crossed) be able to eat fairly normally for a good while, my missus is a veggie and I'm not someone who HAS TO eat meat so that makes it a bit easier. Off the top of my head (I'm not as well organised as you) I reckon I could eat fairly normally for a month (including fuel) before having to start 'freestyling'. Breakfast would be boring and my milk would have to be rationed but a month would be fairly 'easy' in most respects... I think. There's plenty more that we could be 'flexible' with while getting a decent diet, I've got a good few months worth on top of that, assuming that we were left to our own devices but if things got that bad, that would be pretty unlikely.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:54 pm Deeps - where do you get dried veg?
Mostly from one of these Lil.

I do my own, have a nose at the dehydrating threads on here.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Ahh ok. I haven't looked in that thread because I haven't got one and don't grow any veg now apart from tatties.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 pm
Aye, rechargeable is handy, saying that, you get rechargeable AAA's too....

Its a lot of torch (for 20 minutes) for the size of nothing. I'm happy with mine too, keep meaning to do a torch test on the early evening dog walk with the 3 in my breeks pocket compared to the cheap cree I have in my jacket pocket. I suspect out the 3 smally's, the rechargeable will have the most 'oomph' but I keep running into mates and I don't want to be the weirdo playing with torches. :lol:
The maglite wouldn't take rechargeables due to 1.2v Vs 1,5v of normal cells...

Speaking of testing torches as a 14 yo I had a Saturday job in a large independent tool shop... They had bought a pallet load of the old style 6v torches complete with batteries.. well a purchaser from a large multinational company walked in as they were on with a big project on the power station for some overalls... Our rep showed him the torches. Turned the shop lights off etc etc . The guy grabbed the torch held it at head hight then let it go. It still worked .... He bought 20! (I had to lug them to his van been repeatedly told by the manager who was a clever sod not to drop them.......)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 pm Ahh ok. I haven't looked in that thread because I haven't got one and don't grow any veg now apart from tatties.
Worth a nose Lil, I dehydrate all sorts. Some homegrown, some cheap stuff, some stuff just because its getting old and some just cos I want more. If you can be arsed its a great way to preserve veg. Probably not much use for yourself but I also dehydrate meals to take away hill walking too. You can get a dehydrator for about 30 quid or do it in the oven at a low temp with the door ajar.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

I did fancy one for a while then thought realistically would it be worth the bother - and decided not. But you should never say never eh :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:56 pm I did fancy one for a while then thought realistically would it be worth the bother - and decided not. But you should never say never eh :mrgreen:
Whatever works for you Lil, I'm a big fan and have stuck away loads of kilner jars of various veg, I've got about 10 home made Quorn mince chilli/bolognese meals that I've vacc sealed for hill walking. For very little initial expense you can build up a surplus of long term veg. Prepping wise, its a no brainer for me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

diamond lil wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:56 pm I did fancy one for a while then thought realistically would it be worth the bother - and decided not. But you should never say never eh :mrgreen:
I don't grow anything either, mine sits in the kitchen patiently waiting my return from the supermarkets when they have a massive oopsie in the veg aisle.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

ForgeCorvus wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:56 pm Jansman, I know what your workload must be like. A mate of mine is a turkey farmer and farm shop owner, nobody sees him from the end of November until well after New Year (I think he spends the start of January sleeping for a week)
I have Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I shall sleep most of it. This is where prepping pays actually, as we don’t have to mix it with the crowds, and Mrs J is helping me , so no time...anyhow, I’ll finish this brew and go and do another quick twelve hours. :cry:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.