What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
nickdutch

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by nickdutch »

General "preps" are things I just do as part of my normal life these days. Don't take that much thinking about. Extra food in, money aside for bills. basic power cut kit sorted. Got my gas and ethanol for winter heat if needed. Enough cold cures and tissues in stock to deal with the first few days of a cold until i can get off my arse to the shops or until an online order comes in. Not thinking of end of the world scenarios right now as I cant cope with that and couldn't afford it even if I could. Have learned a lot about alternative health and am increasing my knowledge bit by bit.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:
pseudonym wrote:Just found a leak in the garden shed roof, so that's a priority.
Oh joys

Pita this time of the year you can't get the wood dry before you refelt

If I was you I would overboard then refelt with 'torch on' felt (requires a big propane blow torch) as you unroll it you heat it and it sticks to the dry boarding sticking like poo to a babies nappy as it cools added bonus is that the wind can't shread it

Start at the bottom and work up with a 3" overlap or so

You can get a fancy torch on under felt too but on the average shed I've never bothered it's about £30 for a 8x1m roll

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/pro ... -roll.html

And it should last 10 years unlike that crappy tar paper you get from the big DIY emporiums

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL8RVd ... cueplRH2-8

Mines been done 2 years and still looks like the day I did it
Many thanks. :)

Found out the cause...

Strong winds have forced next door neighbours tree roots upwards, lifting paving slabs and one side of the shed by an inch.

So waiting for the landlord of neighbours to decide to remove the tree or I'll have my day in court. :roll:

Pointless me fixing the leak until the underlying problem is dealt with.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Topped up my battery in the workshop as the relentless gray days don't bode well for solar

Freezer is full car is full of petroleum before Iran forces the price uo
Or the supermarket runs out of food ;). Local supermarket distribution center keep sending their afternoon staff home as there's nothing to pick...... (Was talking to a mate last night who is there no smoke without fire me thinks with the media on the shortages even if it's the Christmas shut down causing a dip )

Keeping a eye on the local rivers as a fair few flood warnings in force

And the sump guard possibly paid for itself as I grazed a downed branch on my way home from work the boy racer shed with blue headlights who was riding my bumper pulled up in a farm gate having hit it shortly after.. (I've got about a foot of ground clearance and there was a slight thud) but oncoming traffic prevented a swerve I saw it fall in the wind but didn't brake or id have had shed boy in my boot... (And braking makes the front dip)

This weekend looks to be a cold dry one might get the rest of the Christmas junk to the tip
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Definitely sounds like interesting times on here ...

I'm abandoning clearing the back garden and re-focussing on the strip of border at the front, right by where the fence was that Storm Eleanor blew down. Cutting back the post thats still standing, and digging up the grass that's got lodged at the back of the border - at least I've got easy access to it now :shock: There's a lot of pointless greenery in that border it's like municipal planting, nothing edible, no other uses. A hazel has self sown, so I'll keep that. I'll keep the flower bulbs too, they're nice in any case, and the roses can be pruned to be useful. But the boring nonsense is going to go - in it's place, lemon balm, lambs ears, I'll dig out my research on nondescript-looking prepper plants for the front garden. It's a very small area, and next door's car is right next to it, so regularly-eaten edible stuff can't be planted in about half of it. But the half that's furthest from the road, I'm looking for progress on that bit.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Went to town today as it's market day and I was promised the Seville Oranges would be in. So off I went, got the Oranges and a couple of Lemons for the Marmalade and got extra supplies of Oatcakes and Pikelets. Out of interest I went to Tesco and Lidl and both their shelves were full as usual. So whatever caused the blip is either over or these shops were a bit more organised.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

The reason distribution centres will send staff home is simple...customers are not buying anything.Its the same every year,homes are overstocked from Christmas. This will be the time to look for 'store cupboard' bargains, as the retailers try to move stock.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote:The reason distribution centres will send staff home is simple...customers are not buying anything.Its the same every year,homes are overstocked from Christmas. This will be the time to look for 'store cupboard' bargains, as the retailers try to move stock.
Anything in particular we should be keeping our eyes open for? My cupboards definitely need a boost!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

itsybitsy wrote:
jansman wrote:The reason distribution centres will send staff home is simple...customers are not buying anything.Its the same every year,homes are overstocked from Christmas. This will be the time to look for 'store cupboard' bargains, as the retailers try to move stock.
Anything in particular we should be keeping our eyes open for? My cupboards definitely need a boost!
The last few years Asda have been doing deals on tinned soup, pasta, pot noodles, that kind of thing.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The first batch of Marmalade is made, potted and cooling on the side. Just in time as the last bit of last years batch went this morning. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Deeps wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:
The last few years Asda have been doing deals on tinned soup, pasta, pot noodles, that kind of thing.
You beat me to it! Asda are advertising now.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.