What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Brambles

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Brambles »

Yep, That's pretty much it Jansman. I can remember Dad putting down fresh clinker each winter. He riddled out the cinders and then wet them down and packed them into the old stuff. I used to *ahem* help by running up and down the freshly laid clinker to pack it down. :lol: Dad used to use the garden roller(does anyone still have one?? Just a note, try to avoid falling over on new cinders.... not only do your knees get shredded but the pain from a mother's teatowel as it tweaks you for getting mucky just adds insult to injury. :oops: :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

I am going to cut some more logs
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Brambles wrote:Yep, That's pretty much it Jansman. I can remember Dad putting down fresh clinker each winter. He riddled out the cinders and then wet them down and packed them into the old stuff. I used to *ahem* help by running up and down the freshly laid clinker to pack it down. :lol: Dad used to use the garden roller(does anyone still have one?? Just a note, try to avoid falling over on new cinders.... not only do your knees get shredded but the pain from a mother's teatowel as it tweaks you for getting mucky just adds insult to injury. :oops: :lol: :lol:
I can remember my uncle definitely adding water and mixing it into a type of mortar or screen which he then smoothed with a float . I could very well be wrong about him adding cement or lime , I was pretty young at the time with far more "important" things on my mind than laying paths.
I still have a roller and surprise surprise it used to be my father's . To be honest I've used it more often for rolling felt flat on a roof than I have in the garden , mind it does take some getting up on a roof in the first place. Luckily it does come apart.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Bought 3 apple trees, 2 plum,1cherry from Tescos. £10 for 2. Going to plant them as soon as and keep my fingers crossed until I get fencing sorted. Had a lovely bed of winter broccoli which the one and only roe deer in the wood nearby came and ate to the ground :evil:
jenny1

Post by jenny1 »

On friday I popped into sainsburys looking for powdered milk. When I paid I got a voucher for bonus nectar points. They were doing promotion and I got 5000 :o Worked out to be £25 which I spent today on more stores.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Had a bit of reorganisation of my GHB yesterday, keeping the aldi down sleeping bag in there now as it takes up hardly any room, and as you do, I tweaked a few other bits and bobs.

Currently got some pasta on the dehydrator, a lesson learned from this site, you can make your own 'quick cook' pasta by boiling the normal stuff and then re-dehydrating it. It only takes about 5 or 6 minutes to soften the second time. Got a wee trip coming up so something else to tick off the preps list.

Other than that, pretty quiet.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Deeps wrote:Currently got some pasta on the dehydrator, a lesson learned from this site, you can make your own 'quick cook' pasta by boiling the normal stuff and then re-dehydrating it. It only takes about 5 or 6 minutes to soften the second time. Got a wee trip coming up so something else to tick off the preps list.
Do you crumble it, Deeps, or let it keep its original shape? I do wonder about that sort of thing - if fuel was really short, I'd be bringing pasta to the boil as normal and then putting it into a wide-mouthed vacuum flask I bought for 50p at a charity shop, letting it finish in there.... that said, I've vowed to use my dehydrator much more this year.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I just leave it 'as is', I've not had the need to break it up but you could, it would save space and it wouldn't affect the flavour. I packet it up into individual portions and if I'm using it with a home made dehydrated meal I throw them in together, usually the dehydrated meal first as they take a wee bit longer, it saves on gas and washing pots.
Briggs 2.0

Post by Briggs 2.0 »

I need to get my fire kit back up to scratch, it's been depleted by use. Has anyone had any luck finding cramp balls these past few months?
Off-Grid & Living Outdoors
lsnduck

Post by lsnduck »

Briggs 2.0 wrote:Has anyone had any luck finding cramp balls these past few months?
I've had some problems with that, but the doctor gave me some exercises to do.

So far this week I have:
  • Written down some of my nebulous thoughts and made them into coherent plans and analysis
  • Written down long random lists of ideas and items
  • Turned a random list into a shopping list for specific food items to watch out for on offer and to top up the weekly shop with
  • Located lots of internet resources and which shelves I will head whenever I next have time to go to the proper library
First actual action: weekly shop on Monday.