What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
ukpreppergrrl

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

BristolPrepper wrote:Hand pump arrived from eBay. Bought 4 x 25 litre water containers a few weeks ago but too heavy to move or dispense from when filled. Going to change water every 3 months so needed a way of emptying.
A hand pump is always a good prep, but if your 25L water containers (plastic jerry can type thing) are like mine then have you looked at the Aeroflow caps? e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-New-25L-L ... xyYANTYVK2 You only need one cap (ok 2 just to be safe!) and you put it on whichever container you are currently dispensing from. Hump the container onto a raised block (or the a side surface in your kitchen if you can manage) and you can pour from the tap. Yup they are heavy when full, I can just about lug one from the kitchen where they're filled to the outhouse where they're stored - but I also have a trolly available should I be more incapacitated come the time I need one in earnest! I also have a number of 10L (and a few 5L) jerrys which are stored full of water alongside the 25L and whose purpose is a) to fill from the 25L if I am unable to move the 25L containers; b) or I wish to disseminate the water further afield; c) to collect water from any tankers that may be provided if the water has failed, as lugging a 25L container very far isn't going to happen! If you're filling the containers with tap water and storing them somewhere dark you don't need to change the water every 3 months. 6 months at most, most say 12 months. I add 1.5 teaspoons of thin bleach per 25L jerry can and then it definitely stores for 12 months.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
BristolPrepper

Post by BristolPrepper »

Thanks, all good advice. I have a bad back so I won't be lugging them anywhere! Fill with a hose, empty with a pump.
Good plan on the 5 litre ones though, I'm old enough to remember stand pipes in the street and bowsers so may be some requirements to fetch water, not thought of that, will source a few. Thanks again.
Not quite in Area 1 and not quite in Area 7 ?
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

I have done a mega spring clean and sort out ready to get it moved now, have included kitchen free standing shelves now and washed all the containers ready for the new refill.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Been seasoning a dutch oven this afternoon, been meaning to do it for a while.

Hopefully sooner rather than later I can get into the shed to gut and make a shelf and start installing my wee solar system. Waiting on a weather/wife available (its more her shed, she's the gardener) crossover. Now that the SPL post split fixtures have been announced trying to plan a few getaways too.
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

Last night I finally started softening one of the sheep skins I tanned last summer. This one is destined to be a rug in front of the little wood burning stove which will be installed in my new bedroom when it's built (building work starts next week). I tanned three skins using a kit a bought from Snowdonia taxidermy. I've got more to do this summer but I plan on using an alum bath instead.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I've used alum myself on rabbit skins and it worked a treat. I followed the treatment up rubbing sour cream into the skin , something I'd seen on a tv documentary.
It was all a far cry from my first effort when I just blundered ahead without really researching the process. Knowing vaguely about the tannic acid in oak being used for tanning I soaked a skin in a vat of water and oak sawdust and chippings . Well it didn't go bad or rot but it did come out as hard as a board :oops: . Still the second effort with the alum worked and in proper prepper fashion ( not that I knew it then) I bartered some skins for freshly caught trout.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I made the mistake ;) of popping into Lidl on my way home.. .

Cordless soldering iron from initial tests it's great!

Led rechargeable torch will also charge a phone not as good as some torches I have but can't complain for £8!

And 2 magnetic tool rails which save me rummaging in a draw for the specific screwdriver ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

I don't know what the lidl ones are like but some of the cheapy rechargable torches/battery banks can become live at mains voltage and can be dangerous. I would think a lidl one would be safe but it might be worth checking before touching any metal parts.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I've been having a play with my Amazon vouchers, and buying lots :) yaktrax and opticians tools already reported, but this week I got:
- day sack for my holibob in June that can become my hospital bag.
- 6 pack of little keyring containers that take a couple of aspirin (will be distributed to close rellies!).
- multi-pack of resusc. film, St John Ambulance branded.

Then this morning I was finishing off inventorying my medical whatnots, and realised I was v low on anti diahrrea (omigod, spelling, I can never remember that word) ... so popped into Boots and bought their stuff thats identical to Poundland stuff.

Very pleased :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Ha ha! The English language. Diarrhoea. Tough to spell, and worse to be suffering! And a real reminder to make sure we have a remedy in the medical too! Thanks Arzosah. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.