What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by ForgeCorvus »

the cat in the hat wrote:This weeks preps have been, buying a fire starter with a flint thingy, just because whenever I buy lighters they vanish. I hatched some eggs at the weekend so have baby chicks to look after too which has been hard work, also got more in the incubator. So they will hopefully provide me with some eggs at some point unless they are cockerals in which case they will provide me with roast chicken. I have a local auction which sells all sorts of tat and cheap tools so I went to that last night and brought a couple of axes and some rope to keep in my camper. I got some bolts which I am looking to put on the chicken pen which I am going to have a bash at making myself, I am no carpenter but I will have a go and post photos when it is done. Unless I can find a really cheap one for sale at the auction or online. I also applied for a bookers card. I have compared the prices to amazon and there is not much in it on some items, They have some large catering items like 4 kg mash potato which I want to add to my food storage. I wanted to start some seeds off for my veg patch. but have been a bit poorly so have slept a lot this week.
A friend has chickens, the wire in the pen runs under ground to stop Bushy-tailed visitors from digging in.... I think they also use an electric fence
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've been ticking over prepwise recently

Need to restock the food cupboards this week coming (waiting on the after Easter clear out offers)

Picked up some goodies today got a 3w cree head torch from Lidl and a set of bike lights

And some goretex walking shoes for £50 slightly dulled by the fact that they fixed the sales label through the goretex but for the price meh

The teenage lad has just had his leg key hole operated on and has lots of swelling the pain killer box is taking a thumping and the 3 reusable ice packs are working in a rotor ;)

Just redressed it as the bandage from the hospital finally came off tomorrow is restock the used kit

My veg is sprouting on the window sill

Next task is to book the car in for a service ( I can diy but it has a year of warranty left)

Oh and there's plenty of chocolate ready for Sunday ..

After the 7yo asked do people eat rabbit today :twisted: :o :shock:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

To add to the fruit trees I have bought a rhubarb plant, herbs and strawberry plants. Going to give this a go and see how it turns out, slowly but surely. Hubby has agreed that we need water butts and that will be out next investment over the coming weeks. I'm planning on having at least two in a row at the back of the garage. Wood chopping planned for tomorrow, we have pretty much depleted the wood stores and have plans to invest in an additional shed later in the year for this purpose.
Growing old disgracefully!
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today,like Medusa,I have to sort out firewood for the week.We have a log store right outside the back door, and once full lasts us for about ten days.I keep sticks and newspapers under there too,and it means that cleaning and setting up the stoves takes a few minutes.Especially at daft o'clock in the morning :lol: Its easier that way than yomping up the garden to fetch wood.

Then I am in the greenhouse sowing all sorts.In particular Good King Henry,which will be a useful addition to my perennial collection.Then I am sowing more spuds in the poly tunnel, and building a large wire frame for my Champion of England peas to climb up.

One project I have to start is putting decent and organised shelving in my garden tool shed.In there are the garden tools,chainsaws,fuel,oil etc. and its a tip!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Well not exactly a prep, more a situation of no choice but I'm quite happy about it. We are currently living Off Grid, way off grid, no electricity, water or sewerage.

We were supposed to be out if our rented house 1st. Jan. but managed to get another 3months and am now living in a static caravan in a field next to a wood. Unfortunately we've had snow for the last three days and the wood burner isn't going in till next sat. but the mobile gas heater has prevented hypothermia! On the plus side all the rainwater catchers are full to overflowing :) Everything is a sea of mud outside but it will dry - I hope.

we have a genny but only use it for a short time at night as it's very noisy and uses quite a lot of diesel, haven't seen a telly for a fortnight- it's great! Recharge everything then, spend ages looking for the cig lighter in the car to charge phones while travelling and finally found it in the ashtray box. We have a container beside the caravan with all our stuff but can't find a thing when I want it, usually find what I was looking for later when looking for something else, but I'll get it all sorted eventually.

Quite enjoying the simple life even if it is freezing, looking forward to a bit of sun and warmth though. We seem to be following a more natural path without actually intending to, we have found we go to bed earlier and get up earlier though whether this will be the case when nights get brighter I don't know. And we are planning jobs round rain showers without thinking, probably because getting warm and dry is harder.will go and do the laundry now, which involves carting rain water in, boiling on gas cooker, washing by hand and hanging out soaking wet and when it stops dripping, take it in and put on clothes horse nearish to gas fire. :?
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

we have found we go to bed earlier and get up earlier though whether this will be the case when nights get brighter I don't know.
Being somewhat of an insomniac I always find that camping sorts out my sleep pattern within a couple of days. Retire pretty much at sunset and up soon after sunrise. Hopefully you wont need the wood burner for too much longer but I don't envy your current way of doing the laundry, although I have done it that way too, and found towels to be by far the worst to dry. We used to take an end each and keep twisting them until we had got as much water out as we could. I wouldn't miss the TV one bit either, more likely the internet and being able to charge stuff up easily. Several years ago we went camping with all four kids and all 6 of use needed to charge our phones in the car (pre solar chargers and emergency chargers) which led to a few arguments. Hopefully the weather will warm up soon and make things slightly more comfortable and easier for you.
Growing old disgracefully!
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

I am compressing toilet rolls.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Best prep ever, I've just had a wood burning stove installed and lit it for the first time this morning. Heaven :D
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Managed to fix one of my big solar floodlights which died... Searched high and low for a identical battery pack in the end DX.com provided the only matching pack for the princely sum of £5 plus £3 postage
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
BristolPrepper

Post by BristolPrepper »

My £5 folding stove finally came from China, made a cup of tea outside to try it out, chopped wood using my hand axe from my bugout bag, lit first time using firesteel and 3 cotton wool balls (wood from Wilkinson at £1 a bag). Best cup of tea ever ! Felt quite proud of myself.
Treated myself to a Zippo lighter, always wanted one but as a non-smoker never had an excuse.
Hand pump arrived from eBay. Bought 4 x 25 litre water containers a few weeks ago but too heavy to move or dispense from when filled. Going to change water every 3 months so needed a way of emptying.
Cheap glow sticks arrived from China, really bright but read an article after ordering saying shelf life is only a year if not foil wrapped, and these are loose (you can go too cheap). I'll order some army issue ones on eBay for keeping. Tried one that had been in the boot of the car for probably 10 years, and yes, they do go off, barely glowed. Foil wrapped should last 3 to 5 years.
So lots going on, turning into a proper hobby and new way of spending money !
Happy prepping all.
Not quite in Area 1 and not quite in Area 7 ?