What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:22 pm
Most of my prepping has been put on the back burner because of the World Cup so I'll have no excuses tomorrow. :( Loads more onions to dehydrate and need to re-re-reorganise my stores, definitely a weak point of mine. :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Yes, we cannot have a crisis during World Cup month!
peejay

Post by peejay »

We've had a developing burst water main just the other side of town centre from us since last night (initial reports were of the road bulging & water leak) and, as inevitably expected we've just lost our mains water, presumably whilst they replace a section or similar. We're sorted enough for drinking water due to preps but one thing I hadn't got around to yet (but ironically was actually looking for in Costco today) was bulk wet-wipes or similar for personal hygiene in such situations. Will probably nip out in a min to the local shops to see if they have any in before the masses realise they could use them but will be sorting a decent starter stash this week at least...
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

This week I'm gonna be clearing out under the stairs. It's full of junk at the moment - old knitting projects that never got finished, endless shopping bags and so on.

Then I'll be looking at shelving it somehow, even if it's just boards on bricks. I'm going to ramp up food and NFI preps over the next few months. I'd love to do a full cupboard conversion but we don't have time and I need the storage space.
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:22 pmneed to re-re-reorganise my stores, definitely a weak point of mine. :oops:
I trait I sadly share, so this weekend I made a start on the food front. I went through all the stocks and listed them in a database, so now I can: a) see at a glance what I'm running low on and what I currently have plenty of; b) keep a check on BBE dates so that if I decide to have Chicken in White Sauce for tea I can see which tin, and where it is stored, needs to be used first. In the process I discovered I had rather more tins of tomatoes than I realised, but was very short on Irish Stew! It works well for tins, but less well for my dehydrated items. Gonna have to rethink the dehydration database. Not sure how to apply this to non-food preps...
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
hobo

Post by hobo »

New power banks arrived and are charging in the sun! 🙂 See this thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15662
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

I have converted the wife to the prepping life style woo hoo. Dono how or why it has happened but she came home today with an extra 12 assorted tins of veg, soup, spag bol and a few others. She said I saw these and thought of you and I know they will come in handy.
I feel so proud lol.

Dono if it was here or somewhere else I got the idea but had a nice prepping based meal chicken in white sauce over pasta. Could have done with some crusty bread, next time. So will pick up a few more tins as also good in a pie or with veg and mash
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Prepping_Al wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:35 pm I have converted the wife to the prepping life style woo hoo. Dono how or why it has happened but she came home today with an extra 12 assorted tins of veg, soup, spag bol and a few others. She said I saw these and thought of you and I know they will come in handy.
I feel so proud lol.

Dono if it was here or somewhere else I got the idea but had a nice prepping based meal chicken in white sauce over pasta. Could have done with some crusty bread, next time. So will pick up a few more tins as also good in a pie or with veg and mash
Congrats on the breakthrough, mine keeps an eye out for things that 'I' might appreciate will bring the odd useful thing home from work for me. I was just chuffed when she stopped rolling her eyes at it all.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have a rare and valuable week away from work. I shall be attending a livestock auction with a view to a new buckrabbit for my does. If there is any poultry that catches my eye, then that will be a bonus.

Mrs J is looking for a new car, so I will have hers and chop mine in. The only problem is that mine has a secrecy board in the boot, under which I keep all sorts of crap, just in case! Hers does not, so I have to condense everything.

I shall reevaluate my ‘risk assessment ‘, as my worst case scenario is being stuck at work about 15 miles from HQ. So it will be a walk, Winter being the worst situation imo. So it’s gonna be adequate clothes, which I keep in case I go for a swim when fishing, water, energy bar thingies, and my trusty hiking pole. Chuck in my EDC kit , power bank and back up survival tin,all in as small a bag as possible, it’ll be all I need.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

I've just realised that I don't have a back up stash of hearing aid batteries. :oops: Why hearing aids are not rechargeable I do not know. :x Surely the cost saving to the NHS would be substantial? There must be some technical reason I cant think of? Not too expensive to buy on the internet though so need to get an order in.

Also, started wearing my smaller backpack while out walking the dog, partly to break it in and ensure a good fit and also to get used to carrying the loaded weight over a few miles. (Been getting some strange looks in this heat though)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

My dehydrator's ready to go, and I'm ready to go too, off DIYing at my mum's house so we can sell it. I'm having a slight problem explaining the larger size of my pack compared to my sister's, as it has a few preps in it - nothing weird :mrgreen: just a little windup radio and a toilet roll :mrgreen: are the main things that take up space. They're used to my torch and my stainless steel seatbelt cutter :)