What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 pm
jansman wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 pm
diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm Youngest son is a falconer and shooter, I've got him to get me some wabbits and game birds for the freezer.
Nice!
I am shooting in the morning.Looking for bunnies and pheasants.Enough to tide us over Christmas.
I'm very jealous of you guys. It's the target range and clays for me these days, can't manage a rough shoot any longer and have to rely on mates rates to hang in the pantry. :(
:lol:
That particular trip saw me bring home two rabbits ,two woodies and a cock pheasant.Sadly though,our village is being ' developed ' and a massive housing estate is creeping closer,and over land I have shot and fished since I was a lad.We are fast becoming urban now,with housing estates all around.I am not all NIMBY about it,as it is what it is,but I think my casual " just taking a walk with the gun love" days are numbered!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

That's so sad Jansman, I'd hate that.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

The festive season is a great 'cover' to buy things the other half might object to, you can sneak a few extra amazon orders in at this time of year..... just saying..... :roll:

I couldn't resist another smallish power bank. :oops:

Apart from that, trying my dehydrated stock and trying to put things in the right area to sort further. Not quite a single point of failure but I could do with another decent sized camping solar panel, I'll see how generous Santa is.
bobble

Post by bobble »

Our recent preps include digging an extra veg plot in part of the lawned bit in our garden to plant wheat to "grow a loaf" and buying a purple pitcher plant, just in case small pox makes a return! :)
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

bobble wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:29 am .....buying a purple pitcher plant, just in case small pox makes a return! :)
You got me interested! This one says no, it doesn't help: http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/me ... _Plant.htm
And this one not only says, yes it does help, but it also says there's scientific research showing three compounds are anti-diabetic, which is kind of the holy grail: https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/spe ... /purpurea/.

For my own preps, I'm almost finished slogging away at the laurel hedge, opening out the garden again to get more sun, and provide more space for container plants at the bottom of the garden - though soon it will be garden again, as the decking back there is disintegrating :mrgreen: I'm also clearing the decks for a bit of painting in the living room (how is that a prep? I've no idea, apart from safeguarding the insulation I'll be painting) and as I'm ferrying things out to the recycling bin, I've twice seen people I've known, who've stopped to chat. This lark of getting-to-know-local-people is obviously working :shock: it's quite disconcerting :mrgreen:
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

Having just emptied ASDA's shelves of reduced price Nida dried milk to go with my stockpile of tea and coffee, I'm off to raid Sainsburys for Tinned Chicken Balti and then Tescos for Tinned Chicken in White Sauce (on offer) Both the Sainsbury and Tesco offerings were recently sampled and are pretty good and loaded with big chunks of chicken (about 42% meat content in big chunks).

Will probably lob some in the foodbank box too
Oh and Tesco have JD on offer too, so topping up with that emergency provision :o)
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Arzosah wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:27 am
You got me interested! This one says no, it doesn't help: http://www.bio.brandeis.edu/fieldbio/me ... _Plant.htm
And this one not only says, yes it does help, but it also says there's scientific research showing three compounds are anti-diabetic, which is kind of the holy grail: https://gobotany.newenglandwild.org/spe ... /purpurea/.

For my own preps, I'm almost finished slogging away at the laurel hedge, opening out the garden again to get more sun, and provide more space for container plants at the bottom of the garden - though soon it will be garden again, as the decking back there is disintegrating :mrgreen: I'm also clearing the decks for a bit of painting in the living room (how is that a prep? I've no idea, apart from safeguarding the insulation I'll be painting) and as I'm ferrying things out to the recycling bin, I've twice seen people I've known, who've stopped to chat. This lark of getting-to-know-local-people is obviously working :shock: it's quite disconcerting :mrgreen:
A much underrated prep I think, 'networking', its a lot harder to tell a friend to 'feck off' than a total stranger. Whether that's for the 'cup of sugar' or you need a hand to shift a mattress or whatever, building good relations with your neighbours can only be a good thing. Assuming they're not a bunch of arseholes of course.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Deeps wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:57 pm
Arzosah wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:27 am ... as I'm ferrying things out to the recycling bin, I've twice seen people I've known, who've stopped to chat. This lark of getting-to-know-local-people is obviously working[/b] :shock: it's quite disconcerting :mrgreen:
A much underrated prep I think, 'networking', its a lot harder to tell a friend to 'feck off' than a total stranger. Whether that's for the 'cup of sugar' or you need a hand to shift a mattress or whatever, building good relations with your neighbours can only be a good thing. Assuming they're not a bunch of arseholes of course.
One is a neighbour literally over the road: a retired carpenter, who uses a ham radio as a hobby, splits wood for his own wood stove, has a two year supply, and grows his own. He helps everyone, absolutely everyone. A pearl amongst men :D
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Awh he sounds lovely Arzosah.
Ara

Post by Ara »

Bottled one lot of elderberry wine, the other won't stop fermenting. Bought 2 jars of peanut butter (OH asked "Why 2?" Well, I mean, it was only 2 jars, not 10.) Running out of space in food cupboards and "general" freezer, meat freezers well stocked - we grow our own. Checked through stored fruit and must have apple crumble this weekend. With plenty of meat and flour for making bread, we could survive on meat sandwiches for several weeks without leaving the house. OH bought more hay and cattle and sheep food so we should have enough until the grass begins to grow again. (And he laughs at my storage habits!)