What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm Youngest son is a falconer and shooter, I've got him to get me some wabbits and game birds for the freezer.
Nice!
I am shooting in the morning.Looking for bunnies and pheasants.Enough to tide us over Christmas.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Catalogued what I have got prep wise. Got a hardback notebook that I had kicking about and set it out with section for first aid stuff, section for medicines, food parts including one for dried, one for can/tins, one for water and drink, one for toiletries and household bits and a section for power/light and equipment. This is not including cataloguing my kitchen cupboards that are always fit to bursting. No point cataloguing that as its in continual flux. Just helps me see where I am lacking, and helps with the "Brexi preps". It's all too easy to accumulate stuff without being efficient.
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
jennyjj01

Post by jennyjj01 »

PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:12 am Catalogued what I have got prep wise. Got a hardback notebook that I had kicking about and set it out with section for first aid stuff, section for medicines, food parts including one for dried, one for can/tins, one for water and drink, one for toiletries and household bits and a section for power/light and equipment. This is not including cataloguing my kitchen cupboards that are always fit to bursting. No point cataloguing that as its in continual flux. Just helps me see where I am lacking, and helps with the "Brexi preps". It's all too easy to accumulate stuff without being efficient.
You might find it's more effective to keep your record on the pc. Easier to edit and maintain a list in excel or as a document of some sort. Saves lots of crossing out and gives you the chance to sort thing into order by type or size or name etc.
Graceful Degradation! Prepping's objective summed up in two words. Turning Disaster into Mild Inconvenience by the power of fore-thought

Not Feeling Optimistic. Let me be wrong
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

PreppingPingu wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:12 am Catalogued what I have got prep wise. Got a hardback notebook that I had kicking about and set it out with section for first aid stuff, section for medicines, food parts including one for dried, one for can/tins, one for water and drink, one for toiletries and household bits and a section for power/light and equipment. This is not including cataloguing my kitchen cupboards that are always fit to bursting. No point cataloguing that as its in continual flux. Just helps me see where I am lacking, and helps with the "Brexi preps". It's all too easy to accumulate stuff without being efficient.
Well done, this is something I'm long overdue, I'm quite disorganised about my preps, I hate admin with a passion though and find the idea quite daunting.
jansman

Post by jansman »

jennyjj01 wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:59 am
You might find it's more effective to keep your record on the pc. Easier to edit and maintain a list in excel or as a document of some sort. Saves lots of crossing out and gives you the chance to sort thing into order by type or size or name etc.
A paper copy though, is low tech.My wife runs our finances from a simple ledger.It covers ALL of our income and expenditure.I often say that it is the secret of our success!

Our Christmas ordering system involves us or the customer filling a paper form,us entering it on a computer,printing a copy of the copy,and filing BOTH copies in case we have to check the order.The volume is considerable.The computer system went wrong yesterday,and we had to refer to the paper system!!!! And re enter information!!!!

Simple is good.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

You can use a notebook in a powercut, you canny use a computer. Well as long as you have a light :mrgreen:
Actually that was silly of me - I meant a paper notebook LOL!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Pingu's original point of making an inventory is a good one. And Jenny's point about the inventory needing to be updated is good too - I use sheets of paper, not a notebook and not a computer :mrgreen: just to be awkward :mrgreen:
PreppingPingu

Post by PreppingPingu »

Deeps wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:05 pm
Well done, this is something I'm long overdue, I'm quite disorganised about my preps, I hate admin with a passion though and find the idea quite daunting.
I'm not normally that organized but I'm recovering from a foot op so to stop me going stir crazy as I'm supposed to be resting, I figured this might be a good use of my time!
"Today is the tomorrow that you worrried about yesterday" - unknown
"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Red Dwarf
(Area 3)
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

jansman wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:12 pm
diamond lil wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:14 pm Youngest son is a falconer and shooter, I've got him to get me some wabbits and game birds for the freezer.
Nice!
I am shooting in the morning.Looking for bunnies and pheasants.Enough to tide us over Christmas.
I'm very jealous of you guys. It's the target range and clays for me these days, can't manage a rough shoot any longer and have to rely on mates rates to hang in the pantry. :(
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Whew Arwen - I thought that said you had to rely on mates hanging in the pantry... :twisted: :twisted: