What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Slazanger

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Slazanger »

Not been on here for a while; been busy with a campervan and sorting out plans to work less and explore the uk more.. its been a week of 12v wiring and packing :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Early finish today,so I spent a couple of hours in the workshop ( radio and woodburner going),sorting pea,bean and tomato seeds.They are now on trays in the house drying off,ready for storage.Already looking forward to the 2019 gardening season.Also,I picked up some more paraffin on the way home.We are fortunate to have a place that sells coal,wood,paraffin,gas.Proper old fashioned,and suits me lovely!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Slazanger wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:51 pm Not been on here for a while; been busy with a campervan and sorting out plans to work less and explore the uk more.. its been a week of 12v wiring and packing :)
That sounds great mate, let us know how you get on.

Sadly my preps this week are a lot more low key, got a few fantastically cheap bits and bobs from Amazon. I'm not sure how they can make, ship to the UK and then post me a small set of sugar tongs for 15p. They can though. :o They'll do me as a set of tongs for camping though. Got a few more bits and bobs too, kneeling pads for 40p, small packs of soap leaves for 60p..... its all a bit nuts but I'll have some of it. :D

Need to repack my GHB tonight, some of it got used at the weekend and I've been watching a brilliant series which has, um, distracted me. :oops: (Stan Versus Evil if you're interested) Need to get it done tonight for my weekly pilgrimage to my mum's tomorrow.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Best laid plans and all that .... Not been on here much recently. After our recent decision to relocate we found out that Dad in Law has lung cancer, never smoked a cigarette in his life! He is due an operation shortly to remove part of his lung and has been told that hopefully he will be sorted. Not a minor op at almost 80. Mum in Law has obviously not taken this well, seems to be somewhat in denial, and her health is worsening too. As he is pretty much her carer we have been prepping for the next few weeks, months etc of taking care of them both and have been putting some stuff in place. On a lighter note we spent last weekend in our future area of choice, introducing youngest who has decided to move with us to the area and she loved it. Unfortunately all the estate agents were closed on a Saturday and we were limited to viewing via the office windows with lots of oohing and aahing at properties way out of our price range. The properties we have found, loved and showed an interest in all appear to be riddled with either woodworm, beetle infestation, or both, comical really. Preps at this end continue as winter begins, log burners serviced, more wood chopped, more food, water and fmedical items stored, additional lighting arranged in case of power cuts. EDC has come in very useful at work recently and has helped out a few colleagues in various ways.
Growing old disgracefully!
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:10 pmI'm not sure how they can make, ship to the UK and then post me a small set of sugar tongs for 15p. They can though. :o They'll do me as a set of tongs for camping though.
Sugar tongs? That's some serious glamping you do there Deeps! Respect!
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

I wondered about the tongs myself , either he's just rotten posh or there's some cunning use that completely eludes me :oops:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:55 pm
Deeps wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:10 pmI'm not sure how they can make, ship to the UK and then post me a small set of sugar tongs for 15p. They can though. :o They'll do me as a set of tongs for camping though.
Sugar tongs? That's some serious glamping you do there Deeps! Respect!
grenfell wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:01 pm I wondered about the tongs myself , either he's just rotten posh or there's some cunning use that completely eludes me :oops:
:lol:
Basically, mini tongs, wee mini sugar tongs (or the thing I use now which the missus assures me is a tea bag squeezer) works a treat for turning stuff over on a camping stove. Its all about thinking out the box ;) I use a large sink strainer thing as a pot strainer for rice/pasta when camping too, something like this....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

All small stuff that's light weight and fits in my kit easy. Here's the sugar tongs, the swine have put them up to 18p (Why God, WHY !!!!!!).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Trojanhorse

Post by Trojanhorse »

This weekend I am repacking my GHB and splitting more logs for the burner.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deeps wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:45 pm
grenfell wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:01 pm either he's just rotten posh or there's some cunning use that completely eludes me :oops:
Basically, mini tongs, wee mini sugar tongs (or the thing I use now which the missus assures me is a tea bag squeezer) works a treat for turning stuff over on a camping stove. Its all about thinking out the box ;) I use a large sink strainer thing as a pot strainer for rice/pasta when camping too, something like this....
All small stuff that's light weight and fits in my kit easy.
Right , not rotten posh , common . But common and smart then. I used to have a pair of wooden tongs but they eventually just fell apart and so now I've just been using a knife . Sugar tongs , that's clever and the way to go.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:52 pm
Deeps wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:45 pm
grenfell wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:01 pm either he's just rotten posh or there's some cunning use that completely eludes me :oops:
All small stuff that's light weight and fits in my kit easy.
Right , not rotten posh , common . But common and smart then. I used to have a pair of wooden tongs but they eventually just fell apart and so now I've just been using a knife . Sugar tongs , that's clever and the way to go.

I was (still technically am as I've not swapped them out) using one of these but I think the tongs will be better.

Again, they were cheap, The Range I think.