What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Deeps »

Prepping_Al wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:50 pm A minor victory for us today we've cleared off all our debts apart from the mortgage using our savings.
Paid off the car loans a year early glad that is gone.
Cleared our credit cards apart from what work owes me - there is never enough in the petty cash a real bug bare that it can take up to 2 months to get it back :(

We still have a bit of savings left but I don't like having debt hanging over me so used what I had to get clear and she did the same. I normally like to have 2-3 months wages in my savings as a cushion for job loss or any other issues so a little worried with less than 1 now but I have reduced my out goings so not too much of a worry.
We feel skint but next month we will be loaded without all the direct debits coming out but have set up a standing order to put that money in to our savings other wise it would be too easy to spend it lol
Well done, not a sexy part of prepping but a really practical one. We're still a work in progress on that front. :oops:

I found out a few years ago that my parents were paying an interest only mortgage while having enough to pay the mortgage off outright sat in their savings account. After a bit of a debate (they liked the idea of having that big nest egg) they shifted the mortgage and started rebuilding the nest egg.

We've debated debt on here before and while I wouldn't say I like it, its good to have a bit of flexibility Because I've had the same credit card for years, its now at a stupidly high amount, I still like the ability to have access to that money in an emergency. Its whatever works for you, or whatever works for you 'at that time' I should say. People take on debt to speculate too, if they can make it work then its a good thing, if they take out a massive debt to splurge on lots of shiny shiny then that's on them. Still can't wait to shift ours, its one step forward and two back sometimes though.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Not a prep as such but more off a little test. I mentioned elseware that my van was off the road after an accident and in the meantime the insurance provided me with a hire van. I started to store a quantity of diesel a while ago so decided to use that , if nothing else it was due for rotation and I had some around two and a half years old. I thought that if the fuel had deteriorated I might notice a drop in performance to give me an idea of "shelf life" for want of a better term without causing any problems to my own vehicle. Glad to say the fuel seemed as fresh as the day it went into the jerry cans.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:22 am It's the standard for euro profile locks to BS ts-007 *** star covers snap resistance along with anti drill and pick / bump
Ah thanks, I've been out of the building industry proper for around six years funny how one misses things , :oops:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:01 pm Not a prep as such but more off a little test. I mentioned elseware that my van was off the road after an accident and in the meantime the insurance provided me with a hire van. I started to store a quantity of diesel a while ago so decided to use that , if nothing else it was due for rotation and I had some around two and a half years old. I thought that if the fuel had deteriorated I might notice a drop in performance to give me an idea of "shelf life" for want of a better term without causing any problems to my own vehicle. Glad to say the fuel seemed as fresh as the day it went into the jerry cans.
That's good to know. I've wanted to keep a couple of jerricans for 'just in case'. I can't see my missus going for storing 'spare' but on a slight tangent, I think I've convinced her not to wait until the tank is nearly empty to refill it.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Last winter I also filled a jerrycan with petrol . It was cheaper at the time ( around £1.12 a litre ) and I've been using that in my petrol engined tools. Ok so that's only around six months but again I've noticed no deterioration. I think the key is using metal containers rather than plastic. Funnily enough I have just purchased two 20L plastic jerrycans purely for water storage and transport.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:01 pm Last winter I also filled a jerrycan with petrol . It was cheaper at the time ( around £1.12 a litre ) and I've been using that in my petrol engined tools. Ok so that's only around six months but again I've noticed no deterioration. I think the key is using metal containers rather than plastic. Funnily enough I have just purchased two 20L plastic jerrycans purely for water storage and transport.
I'm happy with plastic 'food grade' for water storage, just a pity water is so bulky otherwise I'd store more. ;)
Working on Her Maj to keep a half full (or half empty ;) ) tank of diesel is a start, keeping a couple of jerricans will be the next step. Of course, I could always learn to drive myself then it wouldn't be such an issue. :oops:
peejay

Post by peejay »

I got my old motorbike re-MOT'd a couple of weeks ago which had been stood-up for a couple of years with a full tank of petrol (so petrol 2yrs old). I feared the worst but it fired up pretty much immediately & didn't drop a beat on a 15 mile run right after it passed.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have had petrol stored in plastic and metal for up to four years ( dated it for rotation) for the generators.I got shut of the big one recently,so most of the juice goes through the chainsaws.No problems at all.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Deeps wrote: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:24 pm
I'm happy with plastic 'food grade' for water storage, just a pity water is so bulky otherwise I'd store more. ;)
Fire risk and legalities notwithstanding the bulk issue is something that effects fuel too I feel. Petrol there are definite legal limits on what one can store , 30L which is barely half a tank ( extra) on most cars. I use petrol for chainsaws , strimmers and mowers and that 30L limit wouldn't last me through the year although buying it when it's relatively cheap does save a little . Diesel , there's no limit but the physical bulk of the stuff can be a problem. I used a jerrycan a week more or less which would mean around fifty of them ( or two oil drums) if I wished to store enough for a year. Simplistic working out I know as if we were in a situation where no fuel was available I don't suppose my work routine would be as it is now. I have the room to store that much although not the actual cans but even so that's still a space that could be used for something else.
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Having cleared my debt I was hoping for a woo hoo moment prob next month. I have kept my credit cards for work use and emergency use just need to pay off when I get paid and don't over use them.

Talking of fuel we changed to using biodiesel and now buy a month's worth of fuel at once. Usually fill 5x 25ltr plastic cubbies and 2x 20ltr plastic jerry cans. This lasts the month with both mine and wife's car having half a tank left in each. It's great at 99p/ltr. Need to get a couple more cubbies or jerry cans to start having spare fuel in the garage it should last 6-8 months in the drums but with regular rotation this won't be an issue.