What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 am My dehydrator's ready to go, and I'm ready to go too, off DIYing at my mum's house so we can sell it. I'm having a slight problem explaining the larger size of my pack compared to my sister's, as it has a few preps in it - nothing weird :mrgreen: just a little windup radio and a toilet roll :mrgreen: are the main things that take up space. They're used to my torch and my stainless steel seatbelt cutter :)
Like you Arzosah,my dehydrator is on standby.Tomatoes are ripening in the tunnel,and there are only so many you can eat fresh.I could bottle them but ( for me) it is a bit of a faff,even though we do have the gear.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'll be flashing up the dehydrator today too. Loads of courgettes, too many to use so some will be dehydrated and ground to powder to add to soups.
Mick104

Post by Mick104 »

Mick104 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm Extending my veg plot, by 35 x 20 ft, On last Wednesday I had 20 ton of top soil delivered, dumped on my front drive . About an hour after, I fell whilst shifting a boulder (much too big for even this man) I now have bruised ribs, a box of Solpadol and two thirds of the top soil is still on the drive :x .
Just following this one up. The new veg plot .

Unable to add a or attach a photo :?:
gadgetguy

Post by gadgetguy »

Today i stored 160ltrs of water in 20ltr water Jerry cans as an addition to my water preps.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

this week I plan to start growing micro greens in the house, supposedly highly nutritious very fast growing (10 days from sprout to dinner plate sounds good to me) and extremely cheap to grow. I figure we're probably looking at veg shortages / price hikes later this year. going to grow a few batches and see how they are (if I like it or not) easier to grow stuff at home indoors all winter than head to the shop for something they might not have.

Last edited by xplosiv1 on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

gadgetguy wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:16 pm Today i stored 160ltrs of water in 20ltr water Jerry cans as an addition to my water preps.
I've added another 25L container to my stash, well not strictly true, I've got the container but need to give it a quick boodgy out and fill it. Also got another 30L airtight container for longevity of food and I guess stashing somewhere if required, mostly just protecting foodstuffs in the garage though, on the odd occasion I leave the garage open we've had an unwanted visitor, not sure if its a cat or something else but some stuff have wee teeth marks on them. :evil:

Just treated myself to a canvas tent too, wouldn't dream of taking it on serious walks but if I'm camping with an open fire it will be ideal. Probably not strictly a prep, more an indulgence but looking forward to giving it a go. :D
Prepping_Al

Post by Prepping_Al »

Last week we ran out of fuel well the wife did and had to buy £20 of REAL diesel till I could fill up our stocks again yesterday. Until you actually store it you don't always notice how much you actually use so added a couple of 20ltr jerry cans to the stock. Now sitting with 5x 25ltr and 2x 20ltr plus my tank is full. Need to get a couple more of the 25ltr cubbies and start having more than a month's biodiesel in stock as it seems I can't always get enough in time.

Food stocks are coming along nicely a few extra tins and washing up liquid picked up on my way to work this morning. Prob close to 2 months food and essentials now. Still a couple of things like long life milk and paraffin to pick up but we are getting there.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:32 am
Arzosah wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 am My dehydrator's ready to go, and I'm ready to go too, off DIYing at my mum's house so we can sell it. I'm having a slight problem explaining the larger size of my pack compared to my sister's, as it has a few preps in it - nothing weird :mrgreen: just a little windup radio and a toilet roll :mrgreen: are the main things that take up space. They're used to my torch and my stainless steel seatbelt cutter :)
Like you Arzosah,my dehydrator is on standby.Tomatoes are ripening in the tunnel,and there are only so many you can eat fresh.I could bottle them but ( for me) it is a bit of a faff,even though we do have the gear.
And I'm home again, after DIYing on the Merseyside house. I somehow turned into the expert on the garden :oops: as well as the paperwork :mrgreen: which is very odd. I've just finished catching up on the washing, so now its just tidying up and the dehydrator can come out to play.

Sage and basil plants indoors survived the 32 degree temperatures in my closed-up house :D though the sage looks *really* unhappy. I'm liking the picture xplosiv has put up there of the microgreens - I've got greens in the garden I can put in the dehydrator, I've got some extra frozen broccoli in a supermarket delivery on Tuesday to experiment with drying that, and side by side with the dehydrator I'm going to set up some microgreens - if its fairly easy as a system, I'll be bulk buying online for over the winter.

Post by Post »

I’ve bought 5 x 10 litre food grade containers so I’ll be putting them to use filling them with zip locked bags of rice, then going in the garage.
peejay

Post by peejay »

I'd love to get some of the US-style 5-gallon buckets (with decent lids) but they seem hard to come by over here so I bought one of these to try out instead. Solid enough etc. but the plastic pong is pretty damn strong in it!

I've left it open in the loft to try to air it out bit for a while - wouldn't fancy food tasting/smelling of it...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1