What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
MancLife

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by MancLife »

Just getting back into the swing of things but have tried my frontier stove which is working just great and re-stocking up on long term food supplies often depleating them. Have had a clear out so now have somewhere to store it all
Attachments
29BFD35F-35D0-4087-88FD-EDEBA143FA70.jpeg
Last edited by MancLife on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

MancLife wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:36 pm 29BFD35F-35D0-4087-88FD-EDEBA143FA70.jpegJust getting back into the swing of things but have tried my frontier stove which is working just great and re-stocking up on long term food supplies often depleating them. Have had a clear out so now have somewhere to store it all
I must admit I get stove envy for things like that, I can't justify it but I still want.
MancLife

Post by MancLife »

Took years for me to convince the wife we needed one :lol: In the end we sold a load of camping gear on ebay which got a lot more money then we expected so bought a bell tent and the stove. Having used them both we wish we’d have done it sooner!
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

I have been busy now non stop for a month,got a second washing machine,a twin tub for emergencies, emptied out the main cupboard and put what i could to be used on the kitchen shelves, just done a restock of the two now, new at the back to be used next handier and stuff like rice and pasta in washed out tubs so not far off ready, new 3 in one jackets and boots so just the normal shopping now, got some new heaters in the summer and duvets already time for a rest now i think.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Been a busy boy this week, certainly by my own lazy standards. The new allotment needs a LOT of work so been up there hacking and slashing and then burning, begun transferring stuff from the old allotment to the new one too. Also just finished a short course on wild mushrooms which was informative, still need to do more research on that front.
omega man

Post by omega man »

Well where to start.. basically for the last few weeks I've been working towards a log burning stove in our lounge.

Let me break down the completed jobs:

Smashed out builders opening.
Fitted lintel.
Self leveled hearth area.
Had a lovely chap sweep the chimney.
Fire boarded said opening.
Plastered the breast.
Fitted natural welsh slate hearth.
pointed stack and reset pot.
Dropped a stainless steel flue liner,bird cage.
Faced fire board with rustic 'brick slips' (to the taste of 'her who must be obeyed' :D )
Restored the stove, which we were gifted,had to drive it back 1800mile from Spain, a journey we were making anywho, it has come up lovely!

I've now to only point the brick slips, fit the obligatory oak beam mantel, fit the closing plate then connect stove pipe to flue and we're off!

When I get time I'll upload a few pic's. This has been going on alongside a load of other remodeling, tbh I'm knacked but will be a great relief to know I can produce heat etc without gas or leccy should the need arise!

OM
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Yes please, start a new thread so it doesn't get lost in this one. Ta :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Deeps wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:21 pm Been a busy boy this week, certainly by my own lazy standards. The new allotment needs a LOT of work so been up there hacking and slashing and then burning, begun transferring stuff from the old allotment to the new one too. Also just finished a short course on wild mushrooms which was informative, still need to do more research on that front.

Had a mad day yesterday..
Collage open day getting shunned by teachers my age for daring to suggest filling a set of lungs with gas from the gas tap.. or magnesium powder in soapy water gas bubbles bloody health and safety!!!!! And trying to set step son up with some rather nice ladies (aka students) subsistent bollocking by Mrs and for embarrassing him :/

Then bunny and chicken food and frost fleece..

Covered my spuds half way through found it old timer "you won't need that!" .. this morning very keen frost he was trying to get in (lock iced up) edc lighter (I'm a none smoker) warmed the key hey presto "you was right lad!!"
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
omega man

Post by omega man »

pseudonym wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 pm Yes please, start a new thread so it doesn't get lost in this one. Ta :mrgreen:
Shall do, will organize tomorrow. Wasn't sure if anyone would care.. but it's felt quite consuming, that said I've brought it in for around a grand'ish :D
OM
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

omega man wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:21 pm
pseudonym wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:09 pm Yes please, start a new thread so it doesn't get lost in this one. Ta :mrgreen:
Shall do, will organize tomorrow. Wasn't sure if anyone would care.. but it's felt quite consuming, that said I've brought it in for around a grand'ish :D
OM
The whole thing sounds great mate and as you say, the ability to heat 'off grid' is a biggy, we're still a long way away from a wood burner although cooking isn't an issue and heating can be sorted with layers. Look forward to the thread.