What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:26 am The secret ( for me) was to make sure a lot of my kit is multi- use. And disposable too. My car ghb is geared around a 12 to 15 mile walk home. I have factored in an overnight kip ( or more of a stopover/ snooze)if needs be. No sleeping bag, but a heavy duty plastic survival bag, green in colour, 300 grams and throwaway. Mylar blankets the same, although I have a proper, heavy duty space blanket, with brass grommets. 320grams. All disposable.

Water bottles , full, a Sawyer filter and puritabs, no cook , high energy food, a small first aid kit,a torch and spare battery,a military poncho that has grommets and makes a passable bivi. It also works as a waterproof garment! Clothes for the season, which I would be wearing anyway, boots ( which I wear , not carry), anker phone charger, contents of pockets like fag lighter, multi tool,cash like Deeps, and a hiking pole. I have put a hexi stove and brew kit in now, but it is chuckable if I need to move fast to get home. What goes on my back, including the weight of water and bag is Sub- 10 lb. Still too much IMO , but I am not pratting about anymore with it, as I hope never to use it.
Most of the stuff in my GHB is disposable, or at least stuff I'm willing to lose. There's a few exceptions but nothing that I can't do without. I'd be sorry to lose my cheap Aldi down sleeping bag admittedly, great wee bag and well used.

In an ideal world I'd have a row of bags sat in the dinning room, my 'GHB', another one with day walking gear and a hoofing big one with my 'proper' walking gear. Unfortunately I have to mix and match stuff depending on what I'm doing, my 'go to' FAK gets shuffled between bags, same with my bestiest compass, the cheap sleeping bag.... etc etc. Its partly why I don't have a 'BOB', if I was going to make a couple of 'BOB's for me and the missus I could knock up a couple of crackers (for us) but there would be stuff in there that I use for other things. Even my rucksacks get swapped about depending on what kind of walking I'm doing, sometimes I can get away with a 50L for an overnighter, even with my ahem, 'refreshment', other times I'll take a bag twice that size. Admittedly, that's usually cos I'm taking extra toys to have a play with. :oops:

Its finding what works for YOU, whatever it is you're doing or prepping for. Jansman and myself have evolved our ways of doing things that work for us, there's no one right way to do it. If you get a chance have a play with your gear and see what you prefer. I've got different stuff that I've accumulated over the years (and the combination of red wine, youtube and amazon :oops: ) and its fun to play. I used to swear by Trangia, and while Trangia will always have a special place in my heart, I've used other cooking systems up the hills more recently and at the moment I'm preferring a cheap gas system. I'm sure I'll change my mind again, its part of the fun. From a prepper point of view its no bad thing to have different options for cooking on. :lol: I hope that helps Dave although I've gone off on a bit of a tangent.
angeuk

Post by angeuk »

Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:47 pm Cash and carry run done....IMG_20180902_135302592.jpg
That's my idea of heaven. Last me at least a month :)
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

angeuk wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:56 pm
Yorkshire Andy wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:47 pm Cash and carry run done....IMG_20180902_135302592.jpg
That's my idea of heaven. Last me at least a month :)
Add 4x 24 500ml bottles of water 200 8hr tea lights 120 dish sponges to the list and enough beef pork and chicken to last till Christmas :)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

PANTRY 2 (1).jpg
Just re organised and dated / rotated the pantry stocks.

(We reckon this is a 6 month / 2 person / 1500 cal per per person, per day stock - excluding the water, beer and wine of course :D )
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

ukpreppergrrl wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:58 am INTERVENTION!!!!!

No, wait, looks like I too have a problem too. I bought an EcoZoom Versa Stove :D I tell myself it's because it means I can cook using the old fence panels (or several bags of BBQ charcoal that have been in the shed for about 5 years) this winter (should it be required) and save the little butane canisters for the little bistro-style heaters rather than use them up on the bistro stoves (yes, plural). Yup. That's what I tell myself. I conveniently ignore the fact that I already have 2 rocket stoves, a couple of BBQs, a Gillie Kettle complete with cookset, an alcohol stove, a tray of 6-hour chaffing gel burners, several gas cookers (which use different canisters from the bistro stoves) a couple of 19kg propane tanks and a propane burner, and numerous hexamine stoves. I also tell myself that I needed to buy it NOW because the pound is tanking and as it's a US product it's only going to get more expensive. Yes. Yup. So actually I've saved money. Oh...and they donate a stove to someone in Africa for every stove they sell so really I'm supporting a charity, in fact, I can probably off-set the cost against my tax...possibly...ok maybe not...but it does mean that I absolutely, do not have a problem. Nope. No problem at all.

Ooh..ooh..ooh the man from UPS has just delivered it! Timely! :D

WOW! That is some collection of cooking and heating equipment. (Me thinks your addiction is greater than you admit) :lol:

Love the look of the EcoZoom Versa stove. Their web page says it has a 5 year life term, I assume that's for everyday use? Have you tried yours yet?
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
peejay

Post by peejay »

My Pressure Canner has arrived at home apparently so I'll be hitting some canning time shortly! Need to find a decent source of the jars though as I bought out Hobbycraft already (who were doing a half-price deal which is still more expensive than in the US).

Been wanting to try a chilli of some sort :-D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Love that pantry, Arwen :)

I've been clearing back (more) brambles for the last few days, and today I decided I really needed a bonfire, of wood thats been sitting around in stacks in various parts of the garden - nice ash for long term soil support, more clear land for planting, less rubbish around in general. Wonderful stuff! Pyromania is nice :lol:

I've been working the dehydrator fairly hard too.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have one of the new-ish fire dragon stoves in my GHB.Basically an improved hexi stove.Also a couple of ' Bistro' stoves and plenty of gas.They are for short term problems,and one of them I use in the workshop for boiling up fishing bait; it maintains marital bliss! :D We have the woodstoves too,and they both have cooking plates.After that,outside by the barbecue is a simple brick rocket stove.Zero cost and used frequently when we fire the barbecue up,great for boiling pasta or rice or frying onions.So simple,so effective.

https://insteading.com/blog/how-to-buil ... ket-stove/
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

jansman wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 am Oh yes, I almost forgot! My elderly neighbour is moving next week to a smaller property. He has given me about a quarter ton of coal- I said I would move it today :roll: Doh!

I know he likes a drop of brandy, so I will see him right. Better get my lazy carcass out of bed!
How much is his house on for?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stonecarver wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:00 pm
jansman wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:44 am Oh yes, I almost forgot! My elderly neighbour is moving next week to a smaller property. He has given me about a quarter ton of coal- I said I would move it today :roll: Doh!

I know he likes a drop of brandy, so I will see him right. Better get my lazy carcass out of bed!
How much is his house on for?
Why do you ask?
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.