What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Arzosah

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Arzosah »

Exactly, its storage issues! I have huge stove envy now, after ukpreppergrrl's list, sob ...
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

I did not realise that only 4 tomato plants (Totem) would give me such an amazing harvest. We had so many that we have shared them with the whole family, workmates and friends. I still have lots and am going to attempt tomato salsa tomorrow which will apparently freeze although will be a bit mushier and I might have to drain off some of the liquid. The chillis have done well too, although being a noob I did not realise that they went from green to black before ripening to red. As someone on here suggested I will be freezing these whole. The little Discovery Pixy apple tree did me proud too with 33 apples this year and are very delicious. More of the same next year and am going to give potatoes, onions and carrots a go and buy a baking apple tree. The strawberries got pretty decimated by the birds, but the rhubarb was fab but I did manage one rhuberry crumble and froze the rest of the stewed rhubarb. Wood pile for winter is coming along nicely, although the shed roof needs re-felting and we have been lucky to get lots of free pallets to keep us going along with the reclaimed wood from work on the house. I have some new cast iron cookware for the woodburning stove which needs seasoning and have invested in some trivets so that I can actually cook on the stove with less of a risk of burning stuff although more practice will be required. I have tidied and re-organised the food store, first aid and otc med items, candles, batteries etc and now spend a few pounds out of the monthly budget for food, water and other items which get placed in here. Need to refill the jerry cans with diesel as son "borrowed" it. Now hubby is on board he has some responsibilities and has started buying de-icer etc ready for winter. It has taken a little while but everyone knows to tell me when they have used anything from the store room now so it can be replaced.
Growing old disgracefully!
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Medusa sounds like you've done really well!

I used an EDC prep in the most ridiculous situation yesterday. I was walking along the South Bank of the Thames and got pooed on by a dratted pigeon. It landed on my t shirt, which was bad enough, but also my face :( :( :( I was a very unhappy bunny. Fortunately, I had tissue paper to wipe off the worst, I used handgel on my hands, then on my face, and then I used Germolene on my hands and face.

Plus, for everyday use, have google maps on my phone was utter bliss :mrgreen: though I did have to make sure I wasn't laying myself open to thieves on mopeds when I had a quick look. In emergencies, they couldn't be counted on, of course.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

Thanks Arzosah, and I am sorry but I did giggle a bit at your misfortune. It is surprising though how many people do not every carry the very basics such as a packet of tissues or a plaster. I am not fond of hand gel but always carry a few of the individually packed antibacterial Clinell wipes and gave out quite a few at a recent festival I attended when the loos ran out of hand gel.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Medusa

If the roof is reasonably solid look at torch on felt then forget about it for 10 years or so...if it's a bit flakey scrape it as clean as you can glue and screw some thin ply to the roof and use torch on felt.......

You will need a big blow lamp but the finished job will last year's even through gales which shreds "tar paper" type "felt"

It's about £38 a roll so not the cheapest one roll did my 8x8 ft pent roof with 6" spare.....

You get it usually in a "twin pack" you buy underlay then top coat

I just got the £38 top "cap" mineral roll ...
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4CsTbXdERSU
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Had a half productive day today!

This morning went to the allotment got the weeds hoed and got 1/3 of it dug raked and field beans planted might be 20days early but the promise of rain tomorrow did it for me and the cooler weather forecast....

Got 2 more spud trenches dug tomorrow I'm off for more spud seeds

Winter onion sets due soon at local garden shop....

Got my car cleaned out and reorganized

Finished off reproofing my trailer tent with another 5l of fabsil..

Garden tidied

New work watch bought since my gshock keeps going off loosing time and display freezing so popped £15 on

https://www.casio.co.uk/products/timepi ... W-86-1VQES

Nice simple no frills waterproof watch without the world time countdown timer ect that the gshock has..... added bonus home or abroad no one will mug you for it and is bomb proof or err

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesig ... s-al-qaida
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

Today I am pickling onions, more eggs and dehydrating more tomatoes. Got marrows and squashes to cut and cure for storage, and dried beans to gather.

Got to get the ladders out and fix a slipped slate on the roof, and spray the mechanism of an upstairs window. As old as this house is, it is relatively maintenance free.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Oh yes, I almost forgot! My elderly neighbour is moving next week to a smaller property. He has given me about a quarter ton of coal- I said I would move it today :roll: Doh!

I know he likes a drop of brandy, so I will see him right. Better get my lazy carcass out of bed!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
angeuk

Post by angeuk »

I too am a hoarder. And I too now have stove envy :)

Gave up on the idea of fences to keep the cats out, so bought a cross between a poly tunnel and cloche to go over the raised beds. Took a while to seal it off so that the first winds don't fly it into the next county, but it seems to fit nicely now. Cats seem to have given up, just hope the grandkids can keep out of it. It's toasty warm in there, so as well as onions and cabbages, I've chucked some half grown celery and beans in there. Hoping the heat might let them grow over the next few months. No huge loss if they don't, I've not exactly green thumbs, so I never expect anything to grow :)

Might brave the rain and get some spuds in. Insects have pretty much eaten away the greenery, so I'll see if there are any baby potatoes lurking in there, later.

Right now I'm sat by the fire. In August! Bloody climate change / British Summer/ Southport weather :)
peejay

Post by peejay »

OH was complaining that her (2yo) wellies were leaking so I jokingly had a search for wellie repair ideas & actually came across "Stormsure" which seems pretty good stuff so just ordered some to give it a go (the wellies were apparently £50 so worth a try at a repair).