What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

How are you preparing
Medusa

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 5.

Post by Medusa »

After reading the thread on TS007 3 star door lock barrels I insisted that we replace the current euro lock type in our door as it has been worrying me for a while. We live in a currently, fairly quietish crime wise area, although once a year around Christmas there are a spate of burglaries, much the same as other places I would imagine. Sadly last year my husband and son both had their works vans "peeled and stealed". Husband was fine but son lost all of his tools only to realise that they weren't insured by his boss. Hard lesson learned and CCTV hastily fitted to the house. I have, as previously mentioned been dabbling at growing a bit of stuff. The fruit trees are coming along brilliantly and I have a nice crop of rhubarb, herbs and a few tomato and chilli plants. Obviously not enough to feed the starving hoards long term, but son has offered the greenhouse from his new house next year if I want it. Son has now got his own place, 3rd child has pretty much moved into her boyfriend's and so the electricity bill has gone down so much I have been able to reduce the direct debit by almost half. This along with the first decent wage rise hubby has had in many years has gone towards reducing a loan we have and putting some into increasing our savings. As the cost of our monthly shop has also reduced, I decided to spend the same amount each month and this helps increase the food preps and stock of household cleaning, medical and toiletry supplies. A far cry from years ago when the four kids were little and we lived from payday to payday and I could stretch a cooked chicken to feed 6 of us for two main meals and sandwiches, probably why my waistline has increased a fair bit too.
Growing old disgracefully!
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Spent the evening under the stairs
IMG_20180511_191738940~2.jpg

Mrs Andy got some scrap chipboard I got some battens and used it to make some tapered shelving
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

I've been on the hunt for a new EDC/GHB bag. I've had some neck and back problems recently and I figured I could help myself out by carrying around rather less cr@p! Last week I found a wee one-strap backpack which could carry my reduced load, but even my mum has noticed that it's not a comfortable bag, so today I bought a cheap two-strap small pack from Mountain Warehouse. It has lots of pockets and sits quite happily on my back, so I hope my daily walk to work will be a bit more comfortable :)
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Le Mouse wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:32 pm I've been on the hunt for a new EDC/GHB bag. I've had some neck and back problems recently and I figured I could help myself out by carrying around rather less cr@p! Last week I found a wee one-strap backpack which could carry my reduced load, but even my mum has noticed that it's not a comfortable bag, so today I bought a cheap two-strap small pack from Mountain Warehouse. It has lots of pockets and sits quite happily on my back, so I hope my daily walk to work will be a bit more comfortable :)
you should check out the "sport pursuit" website https://www.sportpursuit.com/accessorie ... bags-cases

Good quality gear at a very reduced prices.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Over the next two days I am going to organise the walk-in pantry ( lot of stuff in there we don’t use now the kids are gone, and in date so the local food bank can utilise it). The other main job is sweeping the big chimney. I do it in January and at the end of the Burning Season- which is now. I have it down to an hour and a quarter from kit- out to kit-back! Then there is the garden, which is always a pleasure.

Got to bottle a batch of vino too. A very nice blackberry I made last year. I tried a glass or six last night and along with the rather large glass of Irish whiskey handed to me by Mrs J late on ( it would have been impolite to refuse) I slept rather well!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Le Mouse wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 3:32 pm I've been on the hunt for a new EDC/GHB bag. I've had some neck and back problems recently and I figured I could help myself out by carrying around rather less cr@p! Last week I found a wee one-strap backpack which could carry my reduced load, but even my mum has noticed that it's not a comfortable bag, so today I bought a cheap two-strap small pack from Mountain Warehouse. It has lots of pockets and sits quite happily on my back, so I hope my daily walk to work will be a bit more comfortable :)
I've got a Regatta Survivor II 25L backpack. It was about £15 and fits a womans frame really well. It has held up to being the work bag/ day out bag really well. I've had it 3 years now and it looks as good as new. I particularly like the padded strap and there's some padding that helps keep the whole bag off your back.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Medusa wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 8:08 pm . Sadly last year my husband and son both had their works vans "peeled and stealed". Husband was fine but son lost all of his tools only to realise that they weren't insured by his boss. Hard lesson learned and CCTV hastily fitted to the house.
They have my commiserations. After having my van done with a tebbee lock pick ( fortunately no damage and the insurance coughed up the £1100 odd to cover losses) I joined a Facebook group devoted to this sort of crime. Facebook gets a bit depressing with the number of posts showing targeted vans. There was even one recently where they had cut the roof open to gain access. I fitted deadlocks and those big circular padlocks and recently some scrote tried to crowbar the side door open . Thankfully they didn't get in , not that I leave tools inside now , but there was some damage which in itself is irritating. We have cctv fitted by a guy who does it for a living. However , he did say that it is of limited value ( probably not a great sales pitch) as criminals often now cover their faces The year before someone tried to get into his van and was very clearly caught on camera but despite that the police would not open an investigation.
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

Hi everyone,

Not been about for a while. I've been receiving treatment for PTSD, finally gave in and admitted I've a problem... Best thing I've done! Things are slowly starting to get back to 'normal'.

On the prepping front, not really been doing much as I've had my head stuck up my a**e. But I've been through the med box and rotated all my tablets, checked the fire extinguishers and changed batteries in all the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms.

Also reviewed my EDC kit and have changed it slightly and also made a work BOB to keep in my bottom draw of my filing cabinet when I start back at work. Less to carry everyday, and more relevant for my location etc.

Finally; I've planned another walkabout in July for France. 5 day bimble living off the land, really using my Bug out kit.

Medusa; sorry to hear about your husband & sons van being nicked, nothing worse than scum screwing with peoples livelihoods.
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Hope things go well with you Simon, glad you're seeing the professionals mate. Good luck with it.
hobo

Post by hobo »

I've been recharging my batteries! No, really :)