2018 predictions

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: 2018 predictions

Post by Deeps »

grenfell wrote:Perhaps a wiser man would make predictions sufficiently vague that people buy into it and interpret those predictions to tie in with what really happens. Nostradamus did just that and made a living out of it and still sells books . In some respects the predictions that are very specific , such as the world ending on 3.15 pm may 13th are more honest although much more easy to disprove whereas the vague " a man will arise in the east to threaten the king with his fiery spear" can be viewed ( normally in hindsight) as perfect predictions to some.
As I said educated guess at best.
A rooster will arise in the West to threaten The Leader with his twitter feed (and shiny red button).

Just saying..... :lol:
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

Are we (preppers) perhaps a little complacent? We prep for years for situations that will hopefully never arrive and we might be more shocked than we think when (finally) the SHTF. :shock:

As for the year ahead IMO;

NEGATIVE;
There is a huge financial crisis coming as the world transitions further away form the petro dollar and people realise that the issues behind the 2007/8 recession have not been dealt with, just kicked down the road. Western banking systems are no where near as solid and safe as people are led to believe, despite the stress test results. Interest rate rises will cause havoc across various markets and QE comes to an end.

The EU will see rises in internal political unrest and disruption. Migration into Europe is going to lead to major political changes and civil unrest in several countries (Hungary, Poland, Austria, Sweden.........) and political conflict with Brussels. Brexit still has the potential to cause civil unrest in the UK (Blair, Labour, Corbyn, Miller......)

Korea? Israel? Saudi? Ukraine? Venezuela? Several African countries? Take your pick as to which one will kick off first, but one or more is likely to I reckon. When everything else is going down the tubes, initiating armed conflict becomes a way to deflect peoples attention away from the real problem.

POSITIVE;
The rise of Crypto / Digital currencies and the blockchain have built up serious momentum now and will see 25% or more of the worlds population getting involved (currently its less than 0.05%)

Precious metals will finally see a decent rise in value (30% - 50%) as the negative points above take hold.

Climate change will bring a slightly a longer growing season to the UK

A certain smugness and wry smile will appear across many preppers faces as their foresight and planning come to fruition. :D
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arwen Thebard wrote:Are we (preppers) perhaps a little complacent? We prep for years for situations that will hopefully never arrive and we might be more shocked than we think when (finally) the SHTF. :shock:

NEGATIVE;
There is a huge financial crisis coming as the world transitions further away form the petro dollar and people realise that the issues behind the 2007/8 recession have not been dealt with, just kicked down the road. Western banking systems are no where near as solid and safe as people are led to believe, despite the stress test results. Interest rate rises will cause havoc across various markets and QE comes to an end.

The EU will see rises in internal political unrest and disruption. Migration into Europe is going to lead to major political changes and civil unrest in several countries (Hungary, Poland, Austria, Sweden.........) and political conflict with Brussels. Brexit still has the potential to cause civil unrest in the UK (Blair, Labour, Corbyn, Miller......)

Korea? Israel? Saudi? Ukraine? Venezuela? Several African countries? Take your pick as to which one will kick off first, but one or more is likely to I reckon. When everything else is going down the tubes, initiating armed conflict becomes a way to deflect peoples attention away from the real problem.

POSITIVE;
The rise of Crypto / Digital currencies and the blockchain have built up serious momentum now and will see 25% or more of the worlds population getting involved (currently its less than 0.05%)

Precious metals will finally see a decent rise in value (30% - 50%) as the negative points above take hold.

Climate change will bring a slightly a longer growing season to the UK

A certain smugness and wry smile will appear across many preppers faces as their foresight and planning come to fruition. :D
Are you the one spamming me incessantly 24/7 about bitcoin? :lol: I ask the question, cos it sounds like you are flogging it!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Arwen Thebard wrote:Are we (preppers) perhaps a little complacent? We prep for years for situations that will hopefully never arrive and we might be more shocked than we think when (finally) the SHTF. :shock:

NEGATIVE;
Stuff

POSITIVE;
stuff
Complacency , or over confidence or just sheer bloody arrogance is something I've railed against before and has stopped me joining other prepping forums . At least this one is more "everyday" or reality based.
As to your predictions , thanks for taking the time though of course I have to hope that your negatives at least are wrong :P
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

grenfell wrote:

NEGATIVE;
Stuff

POSITIVE;
stuff
Complacency , or over confidence or just sheer bloody arrogance is something I've railed against before and has stopped me joining other prepping forums . At least this one is more "everyday" or reality based.
As to your predictions , thanks for taking the time though of course I have to hope that your negatives at least are wrong :P
Not wanting to take the thread off topic, but I have to agree with that statement. This is the only prepping forum I belong to for the same reasons. I can't get past the outright arrogance, superiority and at times utter garbage. It's a shame really.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:
grenfell wrote:

NEGATIVE;
Stuff

POSITIVE;
stuff
Not wanting to take the thread off topic, but I have to agree with that statement. This is the only prepping forum I belong to for the same reasons. I can't get past the outright arrogance, superiority and at times utter garbage. It's a shame really.
While I feel the same, its horses for courses, not everybody's idea of prepping is the same so if folk aren't into dehydrating or gardening but other aspects of prepping appeal to them more then I'm glad they can find somewhere. Some threads on here grab me more than others, I'm certainly not against joining another forum with a different 'vibe', I just haven't found one that floats my boat yet. Each to their own I reckon.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Agree with all of the above. It's great to get positive feedback and, for those of us who have been around since the first iteration of this form (about 9 years ago??) and the utter loony tunes that were prevalent (think Northern Raider/Big Paul et al for those that remember) we've come a long way. I think we strike a good balance on here, we take our prepping seriously but don't let it consume us and first and foremost, we like a good laugh. Mainly at each other, but still... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, a HUGE thanks to Scoobie, our glorious leader. He's not around much any more, but he pays for this forum for us and I am extremely grateful to him for that.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

itsybitsy wrote:Agree with all of the above. It's great to get positive feedback and, for those of us who have been around since the first iteration of this form (about 9 years ago??) and the utter loony tunes that were prevalent (think Northern Raider/Big Paul et al for those that remember) we've come a long way. I think we strike a good balance on here, we take our prepping seriously but don't let it consume us and first and foremost, we like a good laugh. Mainly at each other, but still... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also, a HUGE thanks to Scoobie, our glorious leader. He's not around much any more, but he pays for this forum for us and I am extremely grateful to him for that.
Only too well! Gawd, that was some serious arrogance, negativity, superiority and garbage from those two! and drove me away for a time.
Deeps is of course right(as usual) it's horses for courses, if you're chomping at the bit for the mass die off of the population that you will have magically survived, then this is probably not the forum for you as much as those forums more geared to survivalism or full of the aforementioned chompers is not for me. ;)
And I'll add my thanks to Scoobie, he's a good sort.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Deeps wrote:
grenfell wrote:Perhaps a wiser man would make predictions sufficiently vague that people buy into it and interpret those predictions to tie in with what really happens. Nostradamus did just that and made a living out of it and still sells books . In some respects the predictions that are very specific , such as the world ending on 3.15 pm may 13th are more honest although much more easy to disprove whereas the vague " a man will arise in the east to threaten the king with his fiery spear" can be viewed ( normally in hindsight) as perfect predictions to some.
As I said educated guess at best.
A rooster will arise in the West to threaten The Leader with his twitter feed (and shiny red button).

Just saying..... :lol:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote: Deeps is of course right(as usual)
I'll send you that fiver as promised. :lol: