2018 predictions

How are you preparing
metatron

Re: 2018 predictions

Post by metatron »

I'd think economic issues and political unrest will be the biggest factor in 2018. Business hates uncertainty and there is no way to leave the EU in any meaningful way, while retaining the same access. Salaries aren't growing to match the rising prices and general cost of living. My job takes me across the country and I can honestly say, I have never seen the levels of homelessness before, its not that there are no job, its that the minimum wage is now the maximum wage for most jobs and a large chunk of people, with this forcing people to be dependant on in work benefits (if they can get them), relying of food parcels and living paycheck to paycheck.

It really doesn't matter your political leanings, but the haves and have nots are extremely visible now and the people screaming tax the wealthy, don't realize technically speaking they are better of than a large chuck of the population. I think its only a matter of time, when this will stop being a blame game and turn into direct action.
katilea

Post by katilea »

metatron wrote:I'd think economic issues and political unrest will be the biggest factor in 2018. Business hates uncertainty and there is no way to leave the EU in any meaningful way, while retaining the same access. Salaries aren't growing to match the rising prices and general cost of living. My job takes me across the country and I can honestly say, I have never seen the levels of homelessness before, its not that there are no job, its that the minimum wage is now the maximum wage for most jobs and a large chunk of people, with this forcing people to be dependant on in work benefits (if they can get them), relying of food parcels and living paycheck to paycheck.

It really doesn't matter your political leanings, but the haves and have nots are extremely visible now and the people screaming tax the wealthy, don't realize technically speaking they are better of than a large chuck of the population. I think its only a matter of time, when this will stop being a blame game and turn into direct action.
I agree, I don't think there will be a WW3 as such (planes dropping bombs) I think any future 'attacks' will be on the systems that keep the country running- powerstations, computers of hospitals, energy suppliers, food suppliers, paying of wages/pensions/benefits etc They could cripple the country's economy just because everything is computerised now and everyone is dependant on electricity to some extent.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Arwen Thebard wrote:Are we (preppers) perhaps a little complacent? We prep for years for situations that will hopefully never arrive and we might be more shocked than we think when (finally) the SHTF. :shock:

As for the year ahead IMO;

NEGATIVE;
There is a huge financial crisis coming as the world transitions further away form the petro dollar and people realise that the issues behind the 2007/8 recession have not been dealt with, just kicked down the road. Western banking systems are no where near as solid and safe as people are led to believe, despite the stress test results. Interest rate rises will cause havoc across various markets and QE comes to an end.

The EU will see rises in internal political unrest and disruption. Migration into Europe is going to lead to major political changes and civil unrest in several countries (Hungary, Poland, Austria, Sweden.........) and political conflict with Brussels. Brexit still has the potential to cause civil unrest in the UK (Blair, Labour, Corbyn, Miller......)

Korea? Israel? Saudi? Ukraine? Venezuela? Several African countries? Take your pick as to which one will kick off first, but one or more is likely to I reckon. When everything else is going down the tubes, initiating armed conflict becomes a way to deflect peoples attention away from the real problem.

POSITIVE;
The rise of Crypto / Digital currencies and the blockchain have built up serious momentum now and will see 25% or more of the worlds population getting involved (currently its less than 0.05%)

Precious metals will finally see a decent rise in value (30% - 50%) as the negative points above take hold.

Climate change will bring a slightly a longer growing season to the UK

A certain smugness and wry smile will appear across many preppers faces as their foresight and planning come to fruition. :D
the biggest problem with cryptos is yes only 0.05% of the worlds population is involved but out of all the people that are involved 1% of them own over 50% of all the coins that have been mined to date, its way too volatile to be used as a currency considering bitcoin has gone from $20K at the start of the year to around $8k right now, also transaction fees are too high and transaction times are ridiculous.

30% - 50% precious metals would be really nice this year.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

If climate change keeps warming us all up, heading further "NORTH" may well be the place to be.
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"