Brambles

How are you preparing
Stonecarver

Brambles

Post by Stonecarver »

Brambles you said in a post you do not do much long term storage but only keep ingredients. Can you tell me what ingredients. Thanks
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Brambles

Re: Brambles

Post by Brambles »

I gave up long term storage (ie for more than 2 years) about five years ago when I realised I probably wouldn't need it. Anyhoo, these days, I still have about 6 month's worth of stores, but now I concentrate more on rotation so that I can incorporate home grown and preserved foods and dry ingredients. I cook mostly from scratch so the ingredients I was referring to are flour, sugar, oils, raising agents, herbs and spices, rice, pasta, dried beans, tinned and home canned meat, fruit and veg, home made pickles and preserves and finally home dehydrated fruit and veg. We live from the store cupboard so as I use one item I replace it so that there is always a certain amount in storage. Obviously with home preserves these reduce as time goes on and are replaced in one hit when the harvest comes in and I make batches of preserves.
This system works far better for us as we literally eat what we store and more and more of it is home grown. I suppose you could call it more about a way of life than prepping per se.
I now only store whole spices for longer in mylar, just in case. ;)

Hope this has been a help. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Stonecarver

Re: Brambles

Post by Stonecarver »

That helps a lot. Thanks. Good idea too
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman