BBC: Co-op calls time on 'best before' dates

How are you preparing
Stonecarver

BBC: Co-op calls time on 'best before' dates

Post by Stonecarver »

Start of something you think?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
grenfell

Re: BBC: Co-op calls time on 'best before' dates

Post by grenfell »

I presume this is the story,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42217026
Good move as I see it. As a country we can't feed ourselves and to purposely throw perfectly edible food away is madness . Hope it spreads to other parts of the country but I can't see a lot of people taking it up as there are still many who equate best before with turns to rat poison dates.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

It's about time someone in the food sales industry had a bit of sense. I think it could be a reaction to the Affordable Food movement. We have a shop not far away that sells short dated and out of date BBE food. I'm thinking the Co Op are taking the next logical step and selling it themselves and if not making a profit they are keeping footfall into the store.
With a bit of luck, the next step could be the abolishment of BBE dates altogether.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Its definitely a start, I note they aren't doing veg though, we use veg that is 'out of date' all the time, you know when you can't (or won't) eat it. I'd be delighted if they started it here, I don't think I'd be able to help myself adding to the stores.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yep, I hope they roll it out countrywide. I'd be there! I have a bit of a rule about fresh food. Whole fruit and veg..if it is still reasonably firm and free of blemishes then I'll eat/dehydrate freeze whatever. If it's prepared, fresh or cooked meats, fish, dairy etc and it's OOD it goes in the bin. Jansman will be pleased to hear it.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Brambles wrote:Yep, I hope they roll it out countrywide. I'd be there! I have a bit of a rule about fresh food. Whole fruit and veg..if it is still reasonably firm and free of blemishes then I'll eat/dehydrate freeze whatever. If it's prepared, fresh or cooked meats, fish, dairy etc and it's OOD it goes in the bin. Jansman will be pleased to hear it.
I'm thorough with meat and fish but milk gets the sniff test and cheese the once over, its fine for a while past its date usually.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Brambles wrote:Yep, I hope they roll it out countrywide. I'd be there!
It's not the nationwide Co-operative group that's started it, but the independent East of England Co-op. Although I wouldn't be surprised if their big cousin decided to copy them. It's a very good move IMO.

I'll have to start walking home the long way to nip into my local branch and see what I can get for 10p! :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Yep, I hope they roll it out countrywide. I'd be there! I have a bit of a rule about fresh food. Whole fruit and veg..if it is still reasonably firm and free of blemishes then I'll eat/dehydrate freeze whatever. If it's prepared, fresh or cooked meats, fish, dairy etc and it's OOD it goes in the bin. Jansman will be pleased to hear it.
Ha ha! Its understanding the rule isn't it? If I hear another person on the news talk about "sell by dates" I'll scream! Ain't been sell by for well over twenty years.I'll stop now... :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Deeps wrote:
I'm thorough with meat and fish but milk gets the sniff test and cheese the once over, its fine for a while past its date usually.
I've always said that most of the cheese from supermarkets isn't worth eating until after the BBE date.
In Norwich there is (or it might be was by now) a little cheese shop that stocked 25 year old Gouda... Now that was great stuff
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
katilea

Post by katilea »

I wonder though what will happen to companies like 'approved foods' who sell food past by sell by date, if its agreed that the date doesn't matter and the food can be sold at a regular price? will it be made law that food then CAN'T be sold cheaper if there is no 'best before' date?? I got a huge order from them before xmas of tinned and packet foods to stock up my winter stores, way cheaper than it would have been to buy it all from the supermarket.

I'm sure I once saw an article in one paper online about 'digital price tags' for items in supermarket where the price can be changed (by computer) according to the time of day so for example they could put up bread and sandwich fillers for the lunch time rush etc. I can't remember which supermarket was already said to be trying it out on some items?