Smart Homes & Prepping

How are you preparing
izzy_mack

Re: Smart Homes & Prepping

Post by izzy_mack »

jansman wrote:I cannot knock it because I have no experience of such a set up.

We each have personal choices to make and mine is to avoid this type of technology I don't understand it and it makes me uncomfortable, it works for you, that's great. but my choice is in the other direction. If I could live without electricity and more importantly persuade my oh to do so, i would. I did suggest getting rid of the telly once, you would have thought I'd asked for a divorce! :? I like to keep thinks VERY low tech, rustic even.
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have to agree with the dog idea. We have a proper yapper. His ears are up 30 seconds before the door knocks. He has a gruff ‘chunter’ when the door goes- that’s humans. At any time though he has a manic yap- that is a fox in the garden ( we get troubled a lot by Mr Reynard).Reliable little early warning device the old lad is!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

The dog thing is good. We've got the little yapper, followed by the great big deep boxer WUFF! as the bigger one joins in, the mastiff just stays quiet and waits for them to get past the two smaller dogs (cannon fodder :lol: )
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

sniper 55 wrote:The dog thing is good. We've got the little yapper, followed by the great big deep boxer WUFF! as the bigger one joins in, the mastiff just stays quiet and waits for them to get past the two smaller dogs (cannon fodder :lol: )
A canine thinking 'why bark yourself when you have a dog!!' :lol: :lol: mind, my Greyhound was the same, he'd let the Collie do all the shouting and then step up behind her as the intimidation. :lol: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I genuinely don't know how good our dogs would be, they're a good size but very sociable and there are a couple of pals who walk them from time to time, letting themselves in, no issues. Not sure how it would go if somebody came in that they didn't know, I suspect they'd be loud when the door/window was getting played with but then curious and looking for a biscuit if they gained entry. The flipside of having chilled dugs I guess, they're no problem when out so I'd prefer that than territorial in the house.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Deeps wrote:I genuinely don't know how good our dogs would be, they're a good size but very sociable and there are a couple of pals who walk them from time to time, letting themselves in, no issues. Not sure how it would go if somebody came in that they didn't know, I suspect they'd be loud when the door/window was getting played with but then curious and looking for a biscuit if they gained entry. The flipside of having chilled dugs I guess, they're no problem when out so I'd prefer that than territorial in the house.

the fact that they're a good size works well for the intimidation factor, if an intruder spots them normally thats enough to make them think twice about going any further.

I got some real good tips years ago from an old school detective about how to deter buglers, some very simple. like even if you dont actually have a dog leave two water bowls near the back door and throw a dog toy or two into the garden, thats as little as it takes to deter most, they just dont want the hassle of dealing with a dog.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:
Deeps wrote:I genuinely don't know how good our dogs would be, they're a good size but very sociable and there are a couple of pals who walk them from time to time, letting themselves in, no issues. Not sure how it would go if somebody came in that they didn't know, I suspect they'd be loud when the door/window was getting played with but then curious and looking for a biscuit if they gained entry. The flipside of having chilled dugs I guess, they're no problem when out so I'd prefer that than territorial in the house.

the fact that they're a good size works well for the intimidation factor, if an intruder spots them normally thats enough to make them think twice about going any further.

I got some real good tips years ago from an old school detective about how to deter buglers, some very simple. like even if you dont actually have a dog leave two water bowls near the back door and throw a dog toy or two into the garden, thats as little as it takes to deter most, they just dont want the hassle of dealing with a dog.
They're loud enough, that's for sure, and the back garden has some dug stuff and usually the odd turd or two. I'm not sure the Marine bandsman 3 doors up would appreciate being singled out though. :lol: That bits true, although I'm not sure what instrument he plays. :P

I do get your point though and apologies for picking up a spelling mistake for cheap laughs. I know even a small dog will make a difference statistically. I've said in the past if I got robbed I'd be looking at the neighbours, anyone else hearing the dogs bark would move on, only those who know the dogs would break in. Can't see much savaging being done but you never know, dogs are still dogs at the end of the day and can surprise us, even the 'good' ones.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Few years ago a workmate returned home to find a human finger in his dogs mouth which he dropped at "dad's" feet wagging its tail...

He rung the police to report it no one ever attended to collect said finger and no one went to a hospital locally ... :o

Oh and on the subject of small dogs:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9dFsx8Ljw88
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Few years ago a workmate returned home to find a human finger in his dogs mouth which he dropped at "dad's" feet wagging its tail...

He rung the police to report it no one ever attended to collect said finger and no one went to a hospital locally ... :o

That sounds like a case of huge misconduct.

The video looked staged too, why the circuit of the garden. Funny though.
sniper 55

Post by sniper 55 »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Few years ago a workmate returned home to find a human finger in his dogs mouth which he dropped at "dad's" feet wagging its tail...

So after 6 weeks he could have got the finger back from the police for the dog.... :lol:

I'll get my coat.....