How did you became interested in prepping?

How are you preparing
jenny1

Re: How did you became interested in prepping?

Post by jenny1 »

I now get really dissapointed with myself if I run out of anything. Its worse if I buy something then realise that I had spares all along :oops:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jenny1 wrote:I now get really dissapointed with myself if I run out of anything. Its worse if I buy something then realise that I had spares all along :oops:
More spares isn't a bad thing either. ;)
Alex_Wolf

Post by Alex_Wolf »

After many years of cursing from not having the most simplest of items Lol.

Phone outta juice, alleyway too dark, thirsty as hell.

Just small things that could have been solved by carrying the most simplest of things. I've just posted up in kits about my current set up. still working out the kinks but it's served me well so far.
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

So, this may sound odd to some but I am a bit of a worrier. Being organised and prepared helps me to worry less. I am responsible for H & S at work which has (Head Office Policy) to include a contingency plan for various emergencies. Because of how I think it comes naturally to consider worst case scenarios and therefore put things into place to deal with these and it seemed only natural to do the same things at home. Despite only prepping "formally" for the last couple of years I realised that I have been doing so for much longer. The things in my car, my EDC bag and my home preps all help me worry about things less. Colleagues at work have laughed when I have produced various items from my EDC which have been required and consider me a little eccentric. I have learned a lot from this forum and am still working on improving my preps at home and my knowledge and skills, whilst also trying to educate my family about the importance of preparedness for every day events such as car breakdown, carrying a first aid kit when walking, carry an emergency phone charger etc etc
Growing old disgracefully!
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Medusa wrote:So, this may sound odd to some but I am a bit of a worrier. ... Colleagues at work have laughed when I have produced various items from my EDC which have been required and consider me a little eccentric....etc

Hahahaha - I recognise this so much. I occasionally go to fairly remote places for work and people would laugh at what I was carrying until they needed a really strong painkiller/piece of gaffer tape/mosquito coil. You might get an initial reputation as a bit of an eccentric but they pretty soon start turning to you when something happens!

Having said that, when I cut the tip off my finger in Oslo (razor-sharp breadknife and a moment's inattention) I didn't even have a band-aid with me as I was travelling super-light, so lesson learned there.
Clarebelle

Post by Clarebelle »

Probably like a lot of people, I started thinking about it when we started our family. At this point you have extremely precious humans you have to protect at all costs! Being vulnerable to crisis of any type was something we decided we wanted to actively work towards avoiding. It helped that we are both ex military.

I knew that I wanted to reach a rural location and approach prepping from a self sufficiency angle. By lessening our dependence on bought in products and state infrastructure I believe we are less vulnerable to certain situations. We are extremely lucky to have our own remote rural location which still has excellent facilities and opportunities for our children but also allows us to readily work towards our prepping goals.
BristolPrepper

Post by BristolPrepper »

I think it's a state of mind and part of your personality type.

I always have a swiss army knife in my pocket. It gets used most days and this model (Champ XL) is probably 20 years old.

I cycle and never leave home without tools, waterproofs, spare innertubes, money, lights, emergency blanket, pump.

My car always has a sleeping bag, shovel, rope, first aid kit, food & water, jump leads, hi-vis.

I have a number of Geiger counters (that's a different story) as I'm interested in Physics.

I've been prepping all my life without knowing it.

To me it's just common sense. Always have options. Knowledge, skills and suitable tools/kit allows the luxury of choice.

I've helped many a cyclist to fix their bike, jump started cars (not from my bike!), I fixed the wheel on a pushchair for a very grateful couple the other day. You never know what life is going to throw your way.

I don't know how people can go about their daily activities without carrying useful stuff.

I've got more interested lately as I have a feeling something is going to happen sooner rather than later, the world seems to be getting a more fragile place. I would rather be wrong than right on this !
Not quite in Area 1 and not quite in Area 7 ?
cornerstone

Post by cornerstone »

A family member had a major operation in 2002 and i was all stacked up with freezer food, all ready and one of the neighbours on the block of 4 was getting cable installed and it hit the pipe and the block had no electricity for all over the weekend, so i decided nothing like that was ever going to happen to me, and in 2006 i started to take it seriously buying in shelves, i still have a small freezer and attached to the fridge there are 4 small freezer shelves nothing much.
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Medusa wrote:So, this may sound odd to some but I am a bit of a worrier. Being organised and prepared helps me to worry less.
I think worrrrying goes with the territory . If we had no worries then we wouldn't prepare or to put it another way we prepare only for what we worry about. I'm not worried about vampires so I don't carry a cross , garlic or a stake sort of thing.
It's also probably a good thing to worry about the right type of thing too ,power cuts , breakdowns and so on rather than worrrying about which talentless twonk is going to win britain's got talent in the jungle rubbish that seem to concern so many people.
Rebel Prepping

Post by Rebel Prepping »

My high school burnt down. I had always been interested in bush craft and survival-ism just as a hobby. When i started studying economics i realized how much our system is vulnerable. The final push was when my high school burnt down and it caused massive disruption in my local community. Parents had to take time of work to look after their kids or pay extra money to feed them if their kids usually got food through school lunch programs. Seeing how much a break in one part of the system caused such huge problems i realized more steps needed to be taken and i started my prepping.