how to improve tinned foods

How are you preparing
Abagorth

Re: how to improve tinned foods

Post by Abagorth »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Don't know if anyone else has found the same, but I struggle with tinned potatoes, I do find the ones in their skins taste better than the peeled ones but I prefer instant mash.
Personally I love tinned potatoes (just didn't know it) mainly because they bring back a lot of childhood memories of staying with my Grandad, turns out he was a prepper, after he died we had to clear out the house and there was tinned food everywhere. I really need to go raid my uncles garage, he took all the hand tools (there were loads), I'm pretty sure there was a really old canner and a dehydrator as well, pretty sure it is still in boxes at the back of his garage.
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Some nice ideas and info
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
Stonecarver

Post by Stonecarver »

Out if curiousity what store usually has the tinned food most people would be happy with?
Not worried about powering the whole house,just eating hot food,getting a brew,seeing through the dark,and staying warm.
Jansman
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Stonecarver wrote:Out if curiousity what store usually has the tinned food most people would be happy with?
Depends on your own tastes.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Stonecarver wrote:Out if curiousity what store usually has the tinned food most people would be happy with?
Have a test mate, see what works for you, budget is also a factor so have a play and enjoy the process of figuring out what you should store.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Jamesey1981 wrote:Don't know if anyone else has found the same, but I struggle with tinned potatoes, I do find the ones in their skins taste better than the peeled ones but I prefer instant mash.

One thing I do like to do with them though, poach a fillet of smoked haddock (or one of the similar smoked white fish you can get now like river cobbler), break it into flakes, chop up a tin of new spuds in their skins and a few fresh tomatoes, throw in a few frozen peas and pile it all into a baking dish and top it with cheese and breadcrumbs, it's ready when everything is hot and it's brown and crispy on top.

I also use loads of tinned fish, I like it a lot, especially the Lidl tinned kippers, I like real kippers too but with the tinned ones you can fry your bread in the oil from the can. :)
I'm the same Jamesey, I'm not a big fan of tinned veg full stop. It's one of the reason I got the dehydrator and a pressure canner and I agree about the instant mash. It's much more versatile and if you dehydrate potato slices you've got that covered too. Home canned veg is much better too. :)

I'll have to try the kippers, I love fish, home canned salmon is the bomb. :D Not keen on Tuna though my favourites are skippers or pilchards NOT sardines! I know, they're both the same fish, but they don't taste the same :roll:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Deeps wrote:Have a test mate, see what works for you, budget is also a factor so have a play and enjoy the process of figuring out what you should store.
+1 When I started consciously stocking food for less fortunate times I would get just one tin of the same thing from different supermarkets (potatoes or stewing steak or tomato soup or whatever) own brand, branded and the dog's danglies versions, and taste test them. Then decide based on cost and taste/texture which I would stock. Some are urgh! Some are ok. Some are downright tasty! Happy serendipity is when the cheapest is also the nicest (for you). It's quite fun playing with your food :D
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:
Deeps wrote:Have a test mate, see what works for you, budget is also a factor so have a play and enjoy the process of figuring out what you should store.
+1 When I started consciously stocking food for less fortunate times I would get just one tin of the same thing from different supermarkets (potatoes or stewing steak or tomato soup or whatever) own brand, branded and the dog's danglies versions, and taste test them. Then decide based on cost and taste/texture which I would stock. Some are urgh! Some are ok. Some are downright tasty! Happy serendipity is when the cheapest is also the nicest (for you). It's quite fun playing with your food :D
That is what I have just been doing, and it was fun. It is amazing how different the same product tastes across a range of supermarkets!

I haven't always gone for the nicest (esp. if it's the most expensive) or the cheapest (unless it's the best, which frequently it is) but for something in the middle (leaning towards taste), I tend to pimp the flavour anyway with Worcestershire Sauce, Mustard Powder (great mixed in with dried mash), herbs, spices, Tabasco etc.

The fun is figuring out what is best for you.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

With the tinned veg, are we ( because I agree largely it's pants) being unfair because we sort of over do it? most tinned food being precooked isn't too bad until you try adding it to something which requires a bit of cooking, so perhaps we should try the tinned veg drained and bunged in last, certainly never boiled?

Like everyone else I have experimented and will continue to do so, my tinned food stocks, pretty much like the rest of my prepping has no cast iron plan, often trying things as much for fun like my cardboard oven, powdered eggs, Pemican, Bannock, and hard tack :lol:

Another thing I would recommend is stock cubes, vac-seal them and freeze them if you really want flavour enhancement available long term, also "cup a soups" can be a great addition, the non crouton variety of course.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
katilea

Post by katilea »

I have many a happy memory of stewed steak, taties and veg chucked in a pan on the camper van stove on a long rainy afternoon while we played cards or board games. Nice thick slice of chunky bread too to mop up the gravy! Or canned hot dogs with onions and ketchup! :D