how to improve tinned foods

How are you preparing
ForgeCorvus

Re: how to improve tinned foods

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:Don't upset Jansman when it comes to tinned food. I swear he could live off of it and be perfectly happy for ever! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yep! As long as there is red wine with it! :lol:
Can you get tinned red wine?

Oh! :shock:
Yes, you can. https://firstwefeast.com/drink/2015/10/ ... s-to-crush ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Abagorth

Post by Abagorth »

Since recently starting to stock up on tinned food, I have been eating it quite a bit to see what to store and what to avoid, I must say that overall I am very impressed with the quality (mainly sticking to Tesco's own brand at the moment).

Obviously some of the flavour is not there, but you can greatly enhance what is there with herbs, spices, sauces etc.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Abagorth wrote:Since recently starting to stock up on tinned food, I have been eating it quite a bit to see what to store and what to avoid, I must say that overall I am very impressed with the quality (mainly sticking to Tesco's own brand at the moment).

Obviously some of the flavour is not there, but you can greatly enhance what is there with herbs, spices, sauces etc.
I started doing the same once I found out I was a 'prepper' I started to stockpile tins, we rarely ate tinned stuff other than tuna or baked beans but now I've got a healthy stash and you're right, having stuff to 'pimp' them with makes a massive difference to the tinned food. The dehydrator is fantastic for this, but that's a whole different subject.
Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

Most of the tinned food that I keep is of the vegetable variety. They are reasonably cheap and I buy them in bulk, a full case at a time. I use them a lot and rotate them out constantly. I will consume a 12 can flat of each of my favorites per month.

Lots of green beans, leaf greens of various types, mixed vegetables for use in stews and soups.

As has been stated, it takes some time to develop a seasoning pattern that suits the individual. I have my own preferences in seasonings for the various foods.

One of my favorite meals is to empty 4 cans of green beans into the slow cooker, add a package of dried onion soup mix and a couple of bacon strips and cook the brew all day. This will provide me with side vegetables for several days.

I also keep a huge stock of tinned tuna and other fish because I use it constantly in my regular meals. Many times my mid-day meal is a tin of tuna and a boiled egg with sweet relish and ranch dressing.
Citizen H

Post by Citizen H »

Stonecarver wrote:I...like a lot of people..have a lot of tinned food in my stores. A lot of tinned stuff is alright but some (such as potatoes) are far inferior to fresh. Anyone know how you can improve the taste texture etc

Tomato Sauce! everything tastes better with "Tommy K"
Im just hoping for the best and preparing for the worse.

Citizen "H"
jansman

Post by jansman »

Tonight's tea: Corned beef hash.mashed spuds,couple of chopped, fried onions, tin of corned beef.Fold it all together, twist of black pepper and lay out into a baking dish.Top with grated cheese and sliced tomatoes ( in our case,the very last of our fresh home grown ones).Shove in the oven to warm through.

Now we serve it with either veg ( fresh,frozen or tinned ha ha! :lol: ) and gravy,or,as we are today,baked beans.

There you have it; a real-life way of using tinned grub! :D If Jamie Oliver hears about that one he'll be sh#tting himself! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

LOL, Corned Beef Hash, almost as good as SPAM fritters :lol: :lol: which funnily we are having tonight with fried rehydrated potato slices and baked beans. Another store cupboard dinner. :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

For me the trick with tinned stuff is to think "stew". Lop a tin of stewing steak in gravy, a tin of potatoes (I chop them into smaller chunks than they are in the tin) and a tin of marrowfat peas into a saucepan and heat. Try not to compare it to "real stew" rather think of it as a taste in its own right. Like comparing chicken nuggets to a roast chicken - it's not the same thing, but that's not to say that chicken nuggets can't be enjoyed in their own right for what they are! For me the big tinned veg problem is tinned carrots :shock: Bottie burps of Satan! :shock: (Though I did once see a tin of brussels sprouts and as I can't abide the real mccoy just the idea of a tinned version had me hurling in the aisles! I've tried not to think about it since), but Tesco do a glass jar of carrots and peas and they're actually ok, so try different the brands as they can be surprisingly different. For me I like Lidl tinned potatoes the best.
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
oldman

Post by oldman »

ukpreppergrrl wrote:... a tin of stewing steak in gravy, a tin of potatoes and a tin of marrowfat peas into a saucepan and heat. ...
That was a favourite of mine when camping as a kid.
"Just when one least expects it, the unexpected always happens" - Dr. Rance
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Don't know if anyone else has found the same, but I struggle with tinned potatoes, I do find the ones in their skins taste better than the peeled ones but I prefer instant mash.

One thing I do like to do with them though, poach a fillet of smoked haddock (or one of the similar smoked white fish you can get now like river cobbler), break it into flakes, chop up a tin of new spuds in their skins and a few fresh tomatoes, throw in a few frozen peas and pile it all into a baking dish and top it with cheese and breadcrumbs, it's ready when everything is hot and it's brown and crispy on top.

I also use loads of tinned fish, I like it a lot, especially the Lidl tinned kippers, I like real kippers too but with the tinned ones you can fry your bread in the oil from the can. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.