how to improve tinned foods

How are you preparing
itsybitsy

Re: how to improve tinned foods

Post by itsybitsy »

Stonecarver wrote:Out if curiousity what store usually has the tinned food most people would be happy with?
If it's tinned meat, M & S. Nothing comes close IMHO. They do chicken in white sauce, minced beef and steak, both in gravy, chilli. All very good. They also do tinned curries. Again, very good.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

+1 for M&S tinned meat. Everything else, it definitely is a personal choice as some things are better by one brand than another :roll: Oh and M&S tinned Rice pudding is far and away the best ever and only 45p a tin. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Brambles wrote:+1 for M&S tinned meat. Everything else, it definitely is a personal choice as some things are better by one brand than another :roll: Oh and M&S tinned Rice pudding is far and away the best ever and only 45p a tin. :)
Ooh I haven't tried that, but I'll get some at the weekend.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Seriously, it's almost as good as home made. You won't be disappointed
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Brambles wrote: Oh and M&S tinned Rice pudding is far and away the best ever and only 45p a tin. :)
I have cow-dairy issues, so I could never each much of it, but in the first stages of an acute emergency, when you're flailing around and trying to find out what's happening, this could be a really good idea - carefully nurturing your open flame in the garden. even when its not baltic outside, would take a long time.

Thinking of rice, I have some of those microwaveable pockets 55p at Sainsbo for two portions, they say they can be cooked on the hob (over a flame etc I suppose) in 3 - 4 minutes. Throwing some veg in there and some protein-of-your-choice would make a proper meal for two.

But the rice pudding is no heat at all needed :)
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

Arzosah wrote:
Brambles wrote: Oh and M&S tinned Rice pudding is far and away the best ever and only 45p a tin. :)
I have cow-dairy issues, so I could never each much of it, but in the first stages of an acute emergency, when you're flailing around and trying to find out what's happening, this could be a really good idea - carefully nurturing your open flame in the garden. even when its not baltic outside, would take a long time.

Thinking of rice, I have some of those microwaveable pockets 55p at Sainsbo for two portions, they say they can be cooked on the hob (over a flame etc I suppose) in 3 - 4 minutes. Throwing some veg in there and some protein-of-your-choice would make a proper meal for two.

But the rice pudding is no heat at all needed :)

Asian shops have started doing a range of boil-in-the-bag curries - tend to be salty and hot, but with a pack of Uncle Bens thrown in you can have a biryani ready in a couple of minutes - good in an emergency or even just on the side of a hill when out walking.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

featherstick wrote:

Asian shops have started doing a range of boil-in-the-bag curries - tend to be salty and hot, but with a pack of Uncle Bens thrown in you can have a biryani ready in a couple of minutes - good in an emergency or even just on the side of a hill when out walking.
I've seen these in the Tesco world food section, and keep meaning to give them a go. I'm not madly keen on the instant rice packets, they seem to take on a plastic gluey taste maybe again it's a case of try different suppliers.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Arzosah wrote:
Brambles wrote:
Thinking of rice, I have some of those microwaveable pockets 55p at Sainsbo for two portions, they say they can be cooked on the hob (over a flame etc I suppose) in 3 - 4 minutes.
I just boil them in their bags,don't drink the water after use it for washing up the spoon.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.