How will YOU keep warm on cold winter nights?

How are you preparing
Deeps

Re: How will YOU keep warm on cold winter nights?

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote:Those beds make me shudder- imagine the PIDERS :shock:
I really enjoy getting a fire going, have done it all my life and don't mind it at all. I remember too well the newspaper bursting into flame and being stuffed up the chimney lol. The good thing about stoves though is that they stay in 24/7, do save you work.
Never mind the creepy crawlies, there's an unreasonable amount of plaid going on, it looks like an advert for the SNP. :lol:
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

diamond lil wrote:Those beds make me shudder- imagine the PIDERS :shock:
I'm with you :shock: Textiles piled up on one another for days, maybe weeks ... a popup tent that you closed up would be a *good* thing in that situation :mrgreen:

Love the pix, though. Notice the handle on the first one, shaped like a heart? I think that might be where the "wee shits" were made, Deeps, rather than using it to store them while the deed was done, so to speak :mrgreen:
jansman

Post by jansman »

I went to see my brother this afternoon. He is a bit of a free spirit, shall we say.He bought a chromed 15' gyppo caravan.He gave me a rough idea of where he was in South Derbyshire, and I tracked him down.He is living on a New Age Travellers site,pretty much off grid.His van has a wood burning stove and bottled gas.He has solar for the leccy.There are a couple of yurts onsite too.He showed me round,and I was quite impressed. Even though the area was very bleak and windswept,everyone was cosy.

Brother gleans his wood from the copse nearby,and drags in scrap wood from jobs he does.He shoots pigeons in there with his airgun and catches pike from the reservoir they are camped near. One thing struck me though.Everyone wears clothes.I know that sounds daft, but modern folks are in the habit of cranking up the heating and walking round the house in shorts and t shirts.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
jeebus

Post by jeebus »

jansman wrote:
jeebus wrote:I've read somewhere before (I think it was on this forum) that putting a tent up indoors to sleep in is a good way to keep warm if you have no central heating. I've not tried it myself but if it's true then you wouldn't need a particularly good tent as it would be inside, so just a cheap £20 one would probably do the job.
Now don't get me wrong,I am not taking the mickey. :D Showed the above to Mrs J.As spoken of elsewhere here, we don't have gas central heating anymore,its been replaced by modern electric heating to back up the stoves.She said," we have not got CH,so do you expect me to watch Emmerdale from the door of a tent?" :lol:
Perhaps I should have said "if you have no central heating but you are used to relying on it". :D
jansman

Post by jansman »

jeebus wrote:
jansman wrote:
jeebus wrote:I've read somewhere before (I think it was on this forum) that putting a tent up indoors to sleep in is a good way to keep warm if you have no central heating. I've not tried it myself but if it's true then you wouldn't need a particularly good tent as it would be inside, so just a cheap £20 one would probably do the job.
Now don't get me wrong,I am not taking the mickey. :D Showed the above to Mrs J.As spoken of elsewhere here, we don't have gas central heating anymore,its been replaced by modern electric heating to back up the stoves.She said," we have not got CH,so do you expect me to watch Emmerdale from the door of a tent?" :lol:
Perhaps I should have said "if you have no central heating but you are used to relying on it". :D
I realised that,of course,and I really was not making fun.I just got an image of Mrs J watching telly from a tent! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

jansman wrote: I realised that,of course,and I really was not making fun.I just got an image of Mrs J watching telly from a tent! :lol:
BTDT :lol:
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Isn't it surprising how people don't have proper clothes any more though. Everybody buys cheap rubbish thin stuff and moans when they get cold.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote:Isn't it surprising how people don't have proper clothes any more though. Everybody buys cheap rubbish thin stuff and moans when they get cold.
I'll be honest, I spend most my time in the house in T shirt and shorts, I love being that 'scantily' clad although if I'm getting cold I get under a fleecy blanket. If required I do have plenty of toasty gear though, although I prefer to save it for the whole going out stuff. I grudge putting on the heating although I've got an unreasonable wife who likes to use run up the gas bill instead of getting under a blankie. :evil:
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

It's fine if you are warm Deeps, but the ones like my daughter who walk around in cheap garbage Matalan rubbish and constantly moan that they are cold really bug me. Since going on steroids I'm always boiling up, and the husband is freezing. His idea of a comfortable temp is the engine room of the Queen Mary :mrgreen: I sometimes think if I went outside and lay in a puddle, I would sizzle and turn to steam.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Well its literally freezing out there, as you are aware.Sitting here by the stove,and watching the news about the USA,power cuts and very cold.It brought to mind this.

OK,it was during the Serbian war,but the OP of this thread was thinking SHTF

https://www.theorganicprepper.com/stay- ... situation/

Robert Frost.

Me.