How will YOU keep warm on cold winter nights?

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: How will YOU keep warm on cold winter nights?

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote:An axe, a bow saw and my woodburner. ;)
Yep! What he said. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I've got Mrs Andy to help keep me warm ......

Failing that we have wool blankets and 4 season and 5 season maggots...

A bioethanol fireplace

A load of tealights and holders
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
MAiwick

Post by MAiwick »

Warm socks, and lots of layers! :D

I've lived in flats for years, so rarely if ever put my central heating on. Others around me must like having their homes super-heated or something! But if the electric went out for all of us, I've got plenty of sleeping bags, duvets, old fashioned bed sheets and so on to make myself quite the cosy nest for the night. Cup of something warm before night like when camping and I'd be okay I think.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

pseudonym wrote:An axe, a bow saw and my woodburner. ;)
same here
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Noddy65

Post by Noddy65 »

Well back in the day of our grandparents there was no central heating or radiators for the less wealthy they got by with one fire burning in the home layering blankets on beds heating beds with pans or bottles wrapped in towels or cloth the only part of you left outside the covers was the nose the family was cuddled up together for heat of a night. An idea I have been toying with is buying vintage fur & sheepskin coats from charity shops to make into blankets or wraps if it’s works for the Eskimo why not
jansman

Post by jansman »

Would you please go to the New Member Section and introduce yourself.Its the rule.Thanks.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
woodsman1

Post by woodsman1 »

i hope there isn't any fellow Yorkshiremen on here even considering switching the heating on till the end of october :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Noddy65 wrote:Well back in the day of our grandparents there was no central heating or radiators for the less wealthy they got by with one fire burning in the home layering blankets on beds heating beds with pans or bottles wrapped in towels or cloth
Erm, that describes *my* childhood, never mind my grandparents! In my mum's childhood, she and her sister shared a bed, and put their coats on top of what blankets they had. They moved in to a brand new council house in 1933, and although there was a bath and washbasin upstairs, the toilet was still outside - *immediately* outside, but outside. By the time I was born, my grandad had put an extra back door onto the house, so that although it was still cold, you didn't have to actually go outside.

And none of this fuss about toilet paper :mrgreen: squares of newspaper, torn neatly!

the only part of you left outside the covers was the nose the family was cuddled up together for heat of a night. An idea I have been toying with is buying vintage fur & sheepskin coats from charity shops to make into blankets or wraps if it’s works for the Eskimo why not
I hope that works for you - charity shop prices round here are actually higher than bog standard shops.

PS - by the time I was 18, I had an electric fire in my bedroom so I could study for my A levels in peace. Things were on the move by then for ordinary working class people.
jeebus

Post by jeebus »

I've read somewhere before (I think it was on this forum) that putting a tent up indoors to sleep in is a good way to keep warm if you have no central heating. I've not tried it myself but if it's true then you wouldn't need a particularly good tent as it would be inside, so just a cheap £20 one would probably do the job.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

jeebus wrote:I've read somewhere before (I think it was on this forum) that putting a tent up indoors to sleep in is a good way to keep warm if you have no central heating. I've not tried it myself but if it's true then you wouldn't need a particularly good tent as it would be inside, so just a cheap £20 one would probably do the job.
I agree with the indoor tent idea, it definitely works, and they are available for free on Freecycle / Freegle, you just have to ask. Even better if there are two of you in it..... ;)
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"