woodburning stoves/chimney sweeps

How are you preparing
7 lives

woodburning stoves/chimney sweeps

Post by 7 lives »

Have a muchwenlock wood burning stove salvaged from neighbours cottage.
Not used last year and want to get chimney swept.
Chimney sweep says
Baffle plate warped
Front grate warped
Says he needs to break fire bricks inside to clean flue(flue enters top of stove)
Does this sound reasonable (he also sells wood burning stoves!?)
If true does anyone have experience of on line suppliers of spare parts(am not in the market for new wood burner)
Many thanks.
Brambles

Re: woodburning stoves/chimney sweeps

Post by Brambles »

Firstly, get another chimney sweep in, say nothing and see what he says to you. If he does the job without fuss then tell him what the first one said ask his opinion on it. It's got to be cheaper to get a second opinion than parts or a new stove. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
7 lives

Post by 7 lives »

Thanks Brambles.
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

Baffle plate might be warped but you can usually wriggle them free

Or if not and if you can get access cut it with an angle grinder to get it out, batter back into shape weld up cut and refit.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Keds

Post by Keds »

I used a chimney sweep from river near dover 30 pounds for a sweep and a certificate, had a new fire brick last year as well was not a lot dearer ,,
Medusa

Post by Medusa »

£30 is pretty cheap. We have been paying £95 for two chimneys but this chap knows these houses and that they are awkward to sweep due to the shape etc. We had another bloke do it once, he couldn't, whinged the whole time and was a nightmare. Will stick to the one who knows our chimney and does a good job despite being more expensive and he doesn't laugh when I insist on watching the brush come out of the top and make a wish.
Growing old disgracefully!
preparedsurrey

Post by preparedsurrey »

I've got my own rods, I always send the kids out to watch the brush come out. Compared to us burning coal our wood burner produces very little in the way of soot.
It's mega expensive round our way (Surrey) someone I know was quoted £60 a chimney, it used to be £15/20 in Derbyshire.
If guns are outlawed then only the outlaws will have guns....
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

preparedsurrey wrote:I've got my own rods, I always send the kids out to watch the brush come out. Compared to us burning coal our wood burner produces very little in the way of soot.
It's mega expensive round our way (Surrey) someone I know was quoted £60 a chimney, it used to be £15/20 in Derbyshire.
Changed days, you could have sent the wee buggers up there back in the 'good old days', saved a fortune. :lol:

Long term I'd love to get a log burner but we're a way away from that yet. I do have a log supply for emergencies though and the means to cook outdoors if required, albeit a bit off topic.
stef

Post by stef »

We use woodburners here in BG,the make is a ''Prity'',excellent petchka as we call them here and solidly built.We have had the downstairs one nearly 9 years now and have had no problems at all,easy to clean out,which we only do once a year.I've noticed they sell them in the uk,nearly double the price that they are here. ;)