Best winter preps in summer?

How are you preparing
peejay

Best winter preps in summer?

Post by peejay »

I know that prepping requirements can be different between summer & winter (e.g. not as much need for warmth in summer as there is in winter) so I started pondering whether there are any "deals" such that spending on winter preps works out cheaper if done at this time of year (July as of writing).

For example, convertible cars & motorbikes tend to be cheaper to buy in winter than in summer, so what sorts of things are worth shopping around for that might be cheaper at this time of year, even though they might not be needed/necessary until winter?

I mean, it isn't really "prepping" if it's already winter when you're sorting your winter preps eh??? :)
Jamesey1981

Re: Best winter preps in summer?

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Not so much in summer, but spring is always a good time to shop for waterproofs and warm clothing, most of the outdoor shops knock a fair bit of money off to get rid of their last winter coats and things, so as long as you're not looking for anything too specific then there are bargains to be had.
Helps if you're a weird size too, they struggle selling that stuff and you can get it cheap.

Summer fruits are cheap in season, so if you can preserve them by freezing, drying, canning or making jams and jellies then you can keep yourself in fruit over the winter.
I personally love dried cantaloupe or galia melon, it's fragrant, sweet and lovely, so if you have a dehydrator then give it a go, they're cheaper in summer so I make a load and that keeps me until they're cheap again.

Was out in a new bit of countryside today, met up with a chap that I met though my YouTube channel and there were wild (or possibly feral) raspberries everywhere, so I'm going to head back up there with some tubs and pick some to preserve. Summer fruit might be cheap in season, but free is even better. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Coal is usually cheaper in the summer too.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Brambles wrote:Coal is usually cheaper in the summer too.
Ha ha! :lol: You beat me to it! Mine was delivered yesterday - saved 20 quid!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Just replenished my wood pile - no saving, but the knowledge that it's there and I stacked it away in the warm and dry conditions :D
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote:Just replenished my wood pile - no saving, but the knowledge that it's there and I stacked it away in the warm and dry conditions :D
Always good to know you are ahead of the pack.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Treating sheds / sorting loose / leaky guttering / serving the car / clearing sokeaways of mud / checking / sweeping chimneys and wood burners are much better at this time of year ;)

To be fair all outside jobs are better when it's warm and bright
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
peejay

Post by peejay »

Thanks folks, some useful tips :)
jansman

Post by jansman »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Treating sheds / sorting loose / leaky guttering / serving the car / clearing sokeaways of mud / checking / sweeping chimneys and wood burners are much better at this time of year ;)

Dead right there! I'd better get on instead of fishing! :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

jansman wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Treating sheds / sorting loose / leaky guttering / serving the car / clearing sokeaways of mud / checking / sweeping chimneys and wood burners are much better at this time of year ;)

Dead right there! I'd better get on instead of fishing! :lol:
I'd rather do my jobs in the rain than miss out on fishing.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.