How to do it PROPERLY

Post by diamond lil »

Prepare for intense prepper envy :mrgreen:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/in-pictures-39418054
Brambles

Re: How to do it PROPERLY

Post by Brambles »

LOL, the only thing I envy is the cellar. :lol:

"However, by living off the land and using solar power, they manage to survive on just $12,000 (£9,600) a year."

Me and the Brambling live on less than that. :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Brambles wrote:LOL, the only thing I envy is the cellar. :lol:

"However, by living off the land and using solar power, they manage to survive on just $12,000 (£9,600) a year."

Me and the Brambling live on less than that. :mrgreen:
Me too. :|
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

I have to say for people who live off-grid, that's a very expensive lifestyle.

Last time I was unemployed I could just about make do on Job Seekers, (if you ignore the mortgage payments), so about £4000, but then that includes all the utility bills, buying all my food and fuel for my car.
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

Yup! I could go for that, at least I could if it weren't for my r.a. which doesn't like the cold :( . and £9600 a year .. a pay rise too!
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Its the kid I feel sorry for, it seems quite self indulgent by the parents to have a teenager living without other kids like this.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

I'm jealous, but realistic, we couldn't stick it, we need the NHS far too much, don't like the cold, but still, the freedom it's awesome, the cellar yes I like that too, if I could open my door and find everything to hand as it is in the city,and close it and feel as far away as they are.... semi rural that'd do me :lol:

You'd think as a shooting enthusiast I'd yearn for that lifestyle and as you'd expect I see the photos and want to identify their guns but in all honesty I've no desire to shoot anything other than paper or clays.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I too do not like to shoot and/or kill things these days, but just having the space to have your own ad hoc range is great. I have been using the silage pit as my butts for 19 years now, nice and safe but not much fun wading to place or retrieve targets ! :?

Since I no longer live at the farm, for now at least, its a bit more of a hike, but living rural is great... until you get some problems, like healthcare. Then it wears thin quickly. :cry:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

shocker wrote:I too do not like to shoot and/or kill things these days, but just having the space to have your own ad hoc range is great. I have been using the silage pit as my butts for 19 years now, nice and safe but not much fun wading to place or retrieve targets ! :?

Since I no longer live at the farm, for now at least, its a bit more of a hike, but living rural is great... until you get some problems, like healthcare. Then it wears thin quickly. :cry:
'Zactly! Which is why I live where I do. I too moved from rurality into town and on the whole I haven't regretted it. There comes a time when you accept you need certain aspects of society more than a rural retreat. There are two things I miss, the chickens (but watch this space!) and my mahoosive walk-in scullery. :mrgreen:
I don't miss twatty neighbours phoning me at stupid o'clock to ask if my electric is on, nor do I miss the howling gales that seemed to blast through every crack and nook of the cottage. I don't miss the whacking great heating bill or the boy racers who thought country roads their own personal race track.
I may be in a city, but in all honesty, it's quieter here than the village. Oh and my insurance went down £6 a month when I moved into town! :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Brambles wrote:I may be in a city, but in all honesty, it's quieter here than the village.
I can believe that, the background noise in the city not being too far from nightlife is bad, but I remember once visiting someone I met on a job who wanted a 3 phases converter connected for an automatic hammer he'd got to go with his forge, well the noise the bloody sheep were making in the field behind his house :shock: It was like prime minister's question time in full flow :lol:

If I ever get the chance to have a farm I reckon any animals would have to be a certain distance away from the house and not in the side where we sleep, oh and I remember going on the moors to stargaze one time, we were near say 3/4 of a mile away from a farm house and there was a genny going, so machinery would be an issue too.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.