Advice wanted and offered....

How are you preparing
IL Professore

Advice wanted and offered....

Post by IL Professore »

Hobby, past experiences, Church what do they all logically lead to?

Prepping, is the answer.

If i can give a bit of background, i would be grateful for any advice for the next steps. In return, i do have a disaster planning template i would be happy to share if anyone wants a copy?

I will scan, and if i am allowed, ?, I will post it as a PDF. Or just email it to those interested.

So, to begin, i recently started, or restarted a couple of old hobbies. First i have started going back to the range, and am re-aquiring the equipment and skills to use it all accurately. I love the meditative aspects of slow precise rifle shots, and the enjoyment only provided by auto, or semi-automatic pistol shooting.

I have also recreated some of my old radio capabilities. I have am/FM coverage from 25 to 29 MHz with multiple scan programmes.

So, that explains the hobby and my past references. However I spent over 15 years as a disaster recovery engineer and have been in disaster management on and off for the last 5 years.

So, i have seen comms breakdown in different ways. I have some battery reserve, but aim to create a UPS based on as many lead acid batteries as i can afford,

I am also looking for a cheap reliable genny.

My Church also teaches self reliance, and it is their planning form i will share. Don't panic, i will send it without any preaching :D

I am also considering digging a small (brick lined and dry) hole to store some rat -packs and some water and tablets, under my floor....

Any comments on my thoughts and actions so far, and any advice on my next steps?

Oh, by the way, i have a reasonable reserves of gas, cylinders and air for my guns, and that stock is rotated every couple of weeks, as i usually spend 6 hours a week at my local range. All my guns are fully legal, safely and responsibly stored under lock and keys, and all have trigger locks as well....

I currently only have one vehicle which is a modern diesel, but aim to look at working on an old series iia diesel Landy later in the year....
shocker

Re: Advice wanted and offered....

Post by shocker »

Series Landys are collectors toys for the rich these days. And the old diesel engine is poor. 200/300tdi Discoverys are cheap, because they are rot boxes. But panels are cheap and welding easy. But since the diesel engine is going to be taxed out of existance soon, it may have to be kept for a SHTF vehicle. Then you can burn ,oh, so many oils as fuel. And not worry about MOTs. Yes, Id prefer a series (again) too, for the meccano aspect, but one would be much better with a 200tdi. If you can afford one ! ;)
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Welcome as you have probably seen we try to avoid politics or religion directly but churches / other religious organisations do offer a LOT of help in difficult situations such as flooding / emergency accommodation/ food banks

opening buildings be it places of worship or "halls" to provide shelter , done a few collections from supermarkets for a local Methodist church run food bank who in the past helped Mrs Andy when she run into hard times no matter what race / religion (if any) they help make life better for locals by providing food and a warm meal once a week. And do day trips for family's with children when funds Allow.

Please do post the documents it will make interesting reading

.as for a genny most reliable will be a Honda engined unit or bigger diesel petrol won't "keep" for long however and there are legal storage limits for petrol in the UK without a licence...

As for the battery bank try and avoid inverters try and get 12v appliances / adaptors instead (less loss)

Be aware batteries do not store well unless used regularly

And a decent solar charger in the UK will work well one day and do bugger all the next ,;)
my shed is solar powered from a Small 30w panel which does the internal lighting and security lighting and charging of my power tools via a 300w pure sine wave invertor all off a single 110ah caravan battery.. Which has been running 2 years with only one mains charger top up when I left the inverter on over night

What are you preparing for?

,:)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
IL Professore

Post by IL Professore »

As far as the origin of the document, was not intended to be a way of discussion, just being open to the source
Of course it does give access to a centrally located meeting place. They also provide food bank services, but would not consider it suitable for civil unrest.

As far as what am preparing for, i am not really sure. I am planning on being self sustaining with 30 man days of resources. Which could e possibly stretched to 45 man days. Plenty of time to observe and plan next steps. i will scan the prep list tomorrow, and post it as a PDF in the morning :mrgreen:
IL Professore

Post by IL Professore »

Also if i cannot get a decent old school Landy, i have a friend with a workshop^_^B-)
It would be nice to create a diesel powered vehicle with the minimum of electrical equipment.
(Post EMP)

Would quite like a diesel lada niva (the 4wd one) but something very very simple..
Yes, i know simple minds and all rhat
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

shocker wrote:But since the diesel engine is going to be taxed out of existance soon, it may have to be kept for a SHTF vehicle.
Don't bet on that, I like diesel, so mine will still be on the road no matter what it costs me, in fact, I might even get one of these https://youtu.be/DtodgPdTq0U just to be extra obnoxious. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Dont get me wrong Jamesesy - I am true diesel lover, i have so many diesel engines round the farm that I cant put a number to them. None of this common rail nonsense either. REAL engines, up to 8 litre :shock: :D
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

shocker wrote:Dont get me wrong Jamesesy - I am true diesel lover, i have so many diesel engines round the farm that I cant put a number to them. None of this common rail nonsense either. REAL engines, up to 8 litre :shock: :D
People always slate the sound of a diesel, but they're thinking of the one in a knackered taxi, a big turbodiesel makes a properly unholy racket and I love it, I like a petrol v8, great noise (especially in a Dodge Challenger R/T 440 magnum, what a machine that is, guy in a berth near me at the marina has a boat with the same engine, mercruisers are made by GM, so that's 7.2 litres, and on my boat the exhaust exits through the prop, he has a jet drive so it has open pipes, it actually shakes the pontoon...) but those old powerstrokes and cummins diesels sound amazing, I used to be a bus driver and one of our old buses, (one of the models, we had a few of them) had an 8.3 litre cummins, you should have heard them when the mechanics started them up with no exhaust, just the pipework to the turbo, my ears rang (more than usual, see the part about the intercity train in a minute,) for three days, the only thing I've ever heard that sounded louder was Motörhead, (I've been in the vicinity of a louder noise when an intercity train exploded about ten feet from me, but it mullered my eardrums so I felt it rather than heard it, so that doesn't count!)

Back on topic though OP, post any files you like, (I'm not a mod but a mod has already said it's cool, just don't listen to my waffle whatever you do, listen to the people with their name in green before you listen to me...) I for one would be glad to have a look, religious or otherwise, religion isn't my cup of tea but I have learned a lot from the Church of Latter Day Saints preparedness manual, (have a feeling that's your church, but if not then please don't take offence,) which I posted on here some time ago and documents like that just show how much info you can have to hand if you don't discount stuff because some of it doesn't fit with your own personal beliefs, most of the bushcraft skills that I know come from people that believe in things that I don't as most of them come from indigenous people that have carried on using the skills that we in the luxurious and lazy areas of the world have forgotten centuries ago.
I'm a fellow shooter so I'm sure we'll have plenty to chat about down the line.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
Pete_59

Post by Pete_59 »

Another reason for getting a diesel generator is that you can use Red diesel, as it's not being used as a road fuel you don't pay the road fuel tax.
IL Professore

Post by IL Professore »

Yes, by the way, it is the LDS preparedness manual.... If it has been posted already, well it teaches me to read before opening my mouth (keyboard :mrgreen: )

Not meant in any way to promote my beliefs, but i just thought it was rather good....

As far as what i am prepping for, i guess it depends on where i think the current social situation is heading for.

The reason for considering an old series iia diesel, is that it is pretty emp-proof. But open to reasonable suggestions, considering that i am a couple of grand into a small budget already..