sweating while hiking

How are you preparing
shocker

Re: sweating while hiking

Post by shocker »

I, along with a few here, suffer from excessive sweating, to the extent that I once developed an allergic reaction to my own sweat :?

Apparently this was caused by a number of factors - over exposure to various chemicals and sweat being held against skin by clothing for long periods back in the days before technical fabrics (merino wool was way above my pay grade!) amongst a host of others.

I found that the only way to deal with this is to wash off with clean water, a wipe down will do, and some mild, unfragranced, un-magic'ed, powder lightly dusted on while (briefly) dry.

After discovering an OTC talc in the US, I have since made my own. I buy Pure Talc by the kilo from the chemist or the web, its not expensive and most pharmacists will order it in for you if you ask. Then mix in some Bicarbonate of Soda, again easily available, with the pure talc, shake it up in a poly bag, then transfer to a suitable, clean vessel. I use about 2 level teaspoons of bicarb to a half pint glass of talc. I would advise anyone else to start with small amounts of bicarb and work up to a level that suits them. If this is indeed suitable for you. If you have concerns or a medical diagnosis already, its best to ask the quack.

This does help with the discomfort a bit, keeps the bacteria managable (and the odor) and most importantly, so I was told, tames the skin pH imbalance that can occur in us, ahem, overly moist individuals, that in me at least is a problem. It is important to keep it to a light dusting otherwise claggy chunks may beset you. And not many enjoy claggy chunks. Though you never know... :shock:

OK Deeps, I've given you plenty to work with, let the ragging begin... :lol:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

......must resist.......must resist.......

....etc....
shocker

Post by shocker »

Borg speaking to Deeps - " Resistance is futile! You will be assimilated!"
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Add a little cornflour to that mix shocker, worked with a lot of porky chefs over the years that used it to prevent chef's @rse, I always used to mix in a little when I was running, despite not being all that porky, worked better than straight talc. :)
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Good call Jamesey, will have to give that a go. 8-)

With any luck after an afternoon outside, I may achieve...scones :lol:
BlinkingCory

Post by BlinkingCory »

Mycil athletes foot powder is your friend.
It won't stop you sweating, but does help in preventing 'gentleman's rash' and generally does make ya feel more comfy
I always take the tub as well as having spare nicks and socks ready dosed in the stuff.
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

Being very honest here I can and do get a bit sweaty between the meat/2 veg and leg area.

Been using this type of stuff for a long time now and very good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ice-Guard-Natu ... B001EU993Y (not bought this exact brand myself - just an eg)

Can be called Crystal Ice (not to be confused with Meth! :) )

Has a few names/manufacturers but it is a solid block you mainly use after a wash. Keep yourself damp in the area (pits and bits area) and use like a roll on. If you are dry dip the crystal in a bit of water.

For me this stuff really works, even better this stuff lasts and last for ever. I bought 4 sticks about 3 or 4 years ago and still on the 1st one which look hardly used. Good I reckon for a prep wash bag well naturally as also odourless.
Gordon's Alive!?