calling any scrimpers (cheapskates)

How are you preparing
Brambles

Re: calling any scrimpers (cheapskates)

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
Brambles wrote:One of my favourites is to make breadcrumbs out of any stale bread then pop in the freezer until needed. Whenever you need crumb for coating or a binder for meatloaf or homemade burglers, there it is. Also handy if you like a suet pudding. ;)
I keep all stale bread,dry it thoroughly,grind it and mix it with my homemade fishing groundbait.It saves me a fortune! As an example,a commercial groundbait I like to use on the river has a toffee type flavouring added ( great for Bream and Roach) and it is £4.99 per kilo! I buy 25 kilo of layers mash for £7.95,and mix a kilo with breadcrumbs and an Asda own brand butterscotch 'Angel Delight' and boom! Big saving.
Oooo I'll have to remember that. Now we're a bit more settled, I intend getting out and about, not much into carp fishing so I'll make a note of this recipe.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Glad to help :D Without going off at a tangent (although fishing could be regarded as a prepping skill),if I stick to local river fishing,I can get my sport for next to nothing; and it can be very expensive.Permit is £20 a year,rod licence £30,and bait is as dear as you make it. Using my homemade bait,bread punch and worms from the compost heap,I get great results.

I guess SHTF, fish will be on the menu here!

Anyhow,in true tightwad style,I am just going to turn the light off in the kitchen my daughter just vacated.What am I - made of money! :lol: :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I think one of our 'hidden savings' is in changing how we buy spices. If you look in the 'world food' aisles of the supermarkets you can buy large packets of herbs/spices for less than the price of the smaller refills in the herb and spice section. Someone's already touched on this, but it is well worth having a look round you nearest farmery type store (they bought bleach) there is a lot of food stuffs produced for animals that is actually 'fit for human consumption' (as it says on the label) so you can buy substantial packets of goods for a substantial saving!

On the electric front. We found that we had a number of electrical devices plugged in on standby that we do not use enough to justify leaving them plugged in. One example is the microwave. It shows us the time for weeks on end without being used. But we have a clock that performs the same function. So we switched it off at the wall until we use it. We replicated this all over the house and I'm not sure how much money we've saved, but I feel a certain level of satisfaction that we are at least containing our level of consumption

Supermarkets - ALWAYS check the shelf edge label for the unit pricing. You'll be surprised how often something that looks to be a good deal actually isn't

Jansman - butterscotch angel delight as fish food? That's wrong man, just plain wrong...........
Knowledge is power
moggins

Post by moggins »

Stasher wrote: On the electric front. We found that we had a number of electrical devices plugged in on standby that we do not use enough to justify leaving them plugged in. One example is the microwave. It shows us the time for weeks on end without being used. But we have a clock that performs the same function. So we switched it off at the wall until we use it. We replicated this all over the house and I'm not sure how much money we've saved, but I feel a certain level of satisfaction that we are at least containing our level of consumption
I bought a gadget a few years ago that you can plug unaccessible plugs into (like the ones behind the telly) and just aim a remote control at it to turn them all off at the mains. Cannot remember where I got it from now but it's an ingenious little gadget.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Stasher wrote:I think one of our 'hidden savings' is in changing how we buy spices. If you look in the 'world food' aisles of the supermarkets you can buy large packets of herbs/spices for less than the price of the smaller refills in the herb and spice section. Someone's already touched on this, but it is well worth having a look round you nearest farmery type store (they bought bleach) there is a lot of food stuffs produced for animals that is actually 'fit for human consumption' (as it says on the label) so you can buy substantial packets of goods for a substantial saving!

On the electric front. We found that we had a number of electrical devices plugged in on standby that we do not use enough to justify leaving them plugged in. One example is the microwave. It shows us the time for weeks on end without being used. But we have a clock that performs the same function. So we switched it off at the wall until we use it. We replicated this all over the house and I'm not sure how much money we've saved, but I feel a certain level of satisfaction that we are at least containing our level of consumption

Supermarkets - ALWAYS check the shelf edge label for the unit pricing. You'll be surprised how often something that looks to be a good deal actually isn't

Jansman - butterscotch angel delight as fish food? That's wrong man, just plain wrong...........
Butterscotch for fish food is the best thing for it! Food of Bealzibub! Its up there ( for me) with pizza. :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Juno

Post by Juno »

izzy_mack wrote: you get more fuel in a litre on a warm day, so buy then if possible.
Unless I'm missing something, this should be the other way round - a substance is more dense when it's cold (i.e. expands when it gets warm), so there's more fuel in your litre when it's cold.
It's a beautiful destination
IL Professore

Post by IL Professore »

Borax for use with washing is a good tip.... because every house needs some borax. If you melt down aluminium cans for casting, a teaspoon of borax per kilo of cans causes the slag to float to the top easier, and also makes the aluminium a lot purer and easier to cast with :-)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Good flux for hard solder/brazing too.Plus its an eco friendly ant killer.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
grenfell

Post by grenfell »

Juno wrote:
izzy_mack wrote: you get more fuel in a litre on a warm day, so buy then if possible.
Unless I'm missing something, this should be the other way round - a substance is more dense when it's cold (i.e. expands when it gets warm), so there's more fuel in your litre when it's cold.
That would sound right but to be honest I don't think it really makes that much difference. The fuel tanks are all underground and thus separate from any fluctuations in temperature. I would think it only plays a part in the small period of time it is in the tanker being transported?
featherstick

Post by featherstick »

grenfell wrote:
Juno wrote:
That would sound right but to be honest I don't think it really makes that much difference. The fuel tanks are all underground and thus separate from any fluctuations in temperature. I would think it only plays a part in the small period of time it is in the tanker being transported?
Across the average 50 - 70 litre volume of a fuel tank it is not going to make any difference at all, especially not when compared with proven fuel-saving methods like correct tyre pressure, keeping filters maintained, driving style, and taking the junk out of the car.