Do your kids prep?

How are you preparing
BlinkingCory

Do your kids prep?

Post by BlinkingCory »

Do any of your (adult, or otherwise) kids prep?
I don't recall ever bringing up the subject with our son, but he seems to have a very similar mindset.
He has a newbuild 2 bed house. Apart from a small patio, their entire back garden is given over to a greenhouse and veg patch. Front patch of lawn is fruit bushes.
They've a preppers cupboard too. Water, food, fuel, tools etc for a month.

Funny how this seems to have been taken on.
Any of you guys have a similar thing going on?
Deeps

Re: Do your kids prep?

Post by Deeps »

No, the batch 2 has no interest, she's back in the UK at the moment and I did mention a few things but her idea of prepping is carrying extra stuff around in her handbag. She doesn't stash scran away or anything like that unfortunately and wears implausibly daft shoes whenever she can. She's got a good head on her shoulders though so I'm hoping at some point she'll get more with the programme.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yep, but he wouldnt call himself a prepper. I live with him so he sees the sense in a full cupboard, and the skills to fill them. He wants a veg garden, greenhouse etc and he's keen to help me at the lottie. I gave him a travel bag filled with everything he needed for xmas a couple of years ago, and he loves it. I think the deal maker was it's a Victorinox bag, and I filled it with travel stuff rather than zombie knives. He's used it a couple of times to go away for the weekend and he's even replaced what he's used!! :shock: He likes that he just needs to add his passport and spending money and he's out of the door. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Daughter is a lost cause - her idea of packing for armageddon would be running round in circles screaming for her hair straighteners and her phone.
Sons are ok, both grew up working on farms. Youngest has worked as a gamekeeper, is a falconer, keeps ferrets, walks the hills for fun at weekends. Other one is a biker, head of security in a big complex, and he is very calm and sensible. All live about 20/25 miles from us in different directions.
jansman

Post by jansman »

My Daughters are similar to diamond Lil's.They have bits and bobs I put in their cars ( space blanket,torch,fak etc).Youngest is sort of still at home,so she has no reason to prep.Eldest has a 'power cut kit' I gave her,but never checks any batteries! When the water went manky last week,she came to us ( even though I told her to use one of her fellas home brew buckets to keep 5 gallons handy after the last time).She keeps a bit of grub in,but not on our scale." I have no space" .No imagination!

Fortunately,both the girls have chaps who are mega practical for youngsters.One is big on Field sports ,a damn good shot and keeps some good polecats too.The other is a quarry fitter and can fix ANYTHING.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

All 3 of ours are adult and still live here, so they go with the flow, in the middle of a city the TEOTWAWKI stuff is not really something we could conceivably get through, but I think someone has to say, sometimes imagining the worst scenarios then simmering down to realize they should never have wipe their arses on anything other than TP, and they will be able to eat and drink if I can't go to the supermarkets for them in the car, the one's not in education will throw contribute, at times take initiative, we all have interests, asides from the gaming go with prepping well sort of, I've saod plenty of times now shooting and archery are good skills and equipment to have around from one arguement, but in retrospect I feel a little manipulative having gotten a whole load of brilliant family activities, put it this way, were preppers yes,we don't have much in the way of resources so it's all on the cheap, but we get an awful lot of fun, enjoyment and social interaction out of our activities that things going south ( other than health and what the current regime can do to us) isn't something we dwell on.

Whether the (adult) kids maintained much of the prepping mentality realistically would depend largely on who they shacked up with, you have to be realistic, people compromise and in early years have to prioritise how they live, In the long term they have a grounding and an understanding of being prepared, I'm sure one little wobble/crisis in their lives if they moved on would shock them into action,from what others have said it looks much like parents remain the safety net to an extent long after they flee the nest :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.