Any Preppers in London?

How are you preparing
FlashPan

Re: Any Preppers in London?

Post by FlashPan »

I've been living in London for the last 15 years or so after moving from a small town in North England.

Settled in very quickly and even when I first arrived I did not take too much notice of the sirens and number of emergency vehicles zooming about. First thing that made me have open my eyes wide was the sheer number and variety of poeple (but I like that anyhow) Maybe I was conditioned to the noise as I was visiting London quite often for business before moving in.

I always try travel/commute in a smart (strategic sounds a bit too much) and polite way so althougth I am not checking for anything dodgy I am always aware of the people around me, my surroundings and do notice "oddities" from time to time.

I've always maintained about being prepared in a city environment it not just the cause your need to think about but the (likely) decline in social behavour as a result. Have seen people nearly fighting each other to get on a packed bus before now.

I do have a small EDC I have in my main laptop bag I always carry to and from work and it's made for an urban affair.

I've been stuck on a stationary tube train for 2 hours before and believe me the heat soon starts to ramp up!

To that end I now carry a small AA pen torch, extra battery, 300ml bottle water a small tin that contains some change, plasters, lighter, whistle, credit card tool, safety pins, wipes, plastic bag, cord, box cutter blade (wrapped in tape) sugar, paper and pencil.

I have envisaged the prospect of having to walk out of a tube tunnel. It has happend beofre when a train or track has broken badly and seeing as though the tube chiefs really scaled back to cleaning of the tunnels some years ago the quality of air comes up from time to time in the newspaper.

So good call on carrying a face mask. Am thinking though I may do with a bandana as that could also double up as a sling or turnique.

I do have a larger BOB I keep in my office. That contains boots, thin upvc trousers, scarf, beanie, baseball hat, gloves, poncho, socks, more water, beef jerky, kendles mint cakes, A to Z, something pointy, tiny am/fm radio, headphones, long life batteries, pen torch, extra mobile phone with adapters to fit all types of sim cards, simple first aid pouch, usb charger and various adapters, lighter, cord, wipes, whistle, sugar and thick shopping plastic bags. All kept in an NI black patrol bag.

I know it sounds like a lot but to me this is an all season bag. If it is summer I can ditch components etc. and this bag is more for me to get home and/or pick up the Mrs on the way. We live in North London, I work in Chiswick and the Mrs in the City, so if going by foot quite a trek. I have thought about buying a small push scooter. Will be a darn sight easier that walking/jogging the 14 miles or so.

Cheers
Gordon's Alive!?
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

@Flashpan, you have pretty much described my EDC/GHB. As I'm more likley to be caught out in a town or city than the hills. My bag is a Jack Wills fashion statement type girlie backpack rather than anything tacticool as it blends in better than a MOLLE. I've noticed folk give the guy with that type of backpack a second, even third look, so tacticool obviously stands out in a crowd, while the woman with a pink and blue tartan backpack is ignored. :lol:

I carry a large bandana for the reasons you state as well a couple of FFP3 masks and a pair of swimming goggles my thought on that being if they keep out water, they keep out smoke and dust too. I had always planned on using towpaths/ canal paths to get out of the city so I have them marked in flourescent marker pens.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
FlashPan

Post by FlashPan »

When I first started prepping I did go for all the camo stuff as I thought, well that is what the army uses so good enough for me, then I soon realised you can stick out like a sore thumb even in the country side. Tend to go for olive green now or black.

I know what you mean though about having a double take at people with or wearing camo gear :) You are right that some people do look hard especially at a guy who's got a cammo bag. I must I admit to it as well but more for the reason as am trying to ID the bag ;)

People wearing camo clothing (and I've seen plenty of non military people dressed head to toe) looks just a bit silly to me. Makes me think they want others to think they are a tough guy or someone special...but that is just my thought on the subject. I'm no fashion police :)

Was just thinking about goggles as well when I saw your post. I've got some tiny snow boarder types at home I bought years ago dong nothing. Small enough not to be a burden in my laptop bag :)
Gordon's Alive!?
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

:lol: I did the same, imagine an army DPM bag on an aging redheaded woman, it looked even more ridiculous. Luckily the Brambling told me I looked like an idiot :shock:

I also keep £20 in notes and change in a little tin, just in case. It has saved my bacon many times when I've had no cash on me. :)
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Whole different world from my experience, very interesting but I wouldn't swap! Up here you need to notice things like the clouds, the weather that's moving in, the behaviour of birds, anything that moves in terrain where nothing should be moving, any strange vehicles parked in odd places, etc etc. I'd feel smothered and panicked in a tube train, the very thought gives me the creeps :shock:
jansman

Post by jansman »

diamond lil wrote:Whole different world from my experience, very interesting but I wouldn't swap! Up here you need to notice things like the clouds, the weather that's moving in, the behaviour of birds, anything that moves in terrain where nothing should be moving, any strange vehicles parked in odd places, etc etc. I'd feel smothered and panicked in a tube train, the very thought gives me the creeps :shock:
I have to agree.Being a country lad ( although its getting so built up now we are becoming a suburb) I find cities to be stifling.People who inhabit cities have a certain ' attitude' too,and I can only describe it as 'bolshie'.Not what I am familiar with on a routine basis.

Of course,we all live where we live.Many,many people live in urban places and would live nowhere else.Someone like me would be a fish out of water,but then so would an urban dweller in my environment.

I have to deliver food into various city centres and I am always glad to get home into open country!Like the city dwellers here,I carry a general ghb in the van with me.Nothing that screams 'prepper' or 'survivalist'.Its actually an old Vango daypack,17 litre in mucky grey! Nothing in there to get me arrested,but I do have a folding hiking pole strapped to it.Useful for my bad knees,and could be of use in other ways in a city environment!

I think 'Urban' will be more prevalent than ' Rural' in the coming years.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm another one who steers clear of the tacticool bags (and stuff). I've got rucksacks of different colours (including black) but they look like your common or garden type rather than packed with loads of Gucci gear. The tacticool ones scream 'PREPARED' even if you don't really know anything about prepping and are more likely to draw attention (IMO). Its grey all the way or at least as much as possible, I'm generally in lightweight walking boots and while jeans wouldn't be my choice for a yomp they're what I wear normally so 'grey', The longest I'd normally need my GHB would be for 2 days so I'll suffer the chaffing for that although I'm toying with putting a pair of Ronhills in there but the stuff in the bag keeps growing. I should add that my 2 day yomp would be over mixed urban and agricultural, by choice following roads.

A thought has occurred to me while I'm assessing what I have in my bag, the largest knife I have is a SAK, so taking things way off on a tangent, if there was a preppers register to allow you to carry a larger knife in a 'GHB' would you join the register ????
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

One thing I have always done (and still do) is to wear lightweight walking boots and trousers and carry shoes and something smarter in a bag. I've had to walk a few times, first one was when some inconsiderate nincompoop decided to end it all under a train in Hassocks while I was waiting at East Croyden. It doesn't always have to be something shocking to stop trains or buses running. :)
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

Brambles wrote:first one was when some inconsiderate nincompoop decided to end it all under a train in Hassocks while I was waiting at East Croyden.
Don't want to get too heavey here but if were refering to "inconsiderate nincompoop" being so because it made you late then i'm sorry but your the inconsiderate nincompoop, if however your refering to the jumper being an inconsiderate nincompoop then i'd agree as it's the driver that has to suffer the lifelong guilt and some of them are never able to work again in their life.

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Alloneword wrote:
Brambles wrote:first one was when some inconsiderate nincompoop decided to end it all under a train in Hassocks while I was waiting at East Croyden.
Don't want to get too heavey here but if were refering to "inconsiderate nincompoop" being so because it made you late then i'm sorry but your the inconsiderate nincompoop, if however your refering to the jumper being an inconsiderate nincompoop then i'd agree as it's the driver that has to suffer the lifelong guilt and some of them are never able to work again in their life.

All1
No personal 'remarks' please.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.