Skills Vs Stuff

How are you preparing
Pete_59

Skills Vs Stuff

Post by Pete_59 »

Just found this article via a link on facebook, although it's trying to sell you a lot of prepper books it does make some very good points that are worth thinking about.

http://graywolfsurvival.com/2379/preppi ... -vs-stuff/
sethorly

Re: Skills Vs Stuff

Post by sethorly »

I agree with this. There's a lot of material preps that can make life a lot easier bugging in or out, but the best preps imho are sustainable tools and skills. Stored food (canned, feeze-dried, dehumidified) is the possible exception of a necessary non-sustainable material prep - such food might be temporary but it can't be replaced by skills unless you're willing to put your life on the line as a thief.
=======
Plymton wrote:Klingon ass scratcher
=======
Area 8
=======
shocker

Post by shocker »

On a superficial level I would say that, like most things in life, its a balance between the two.

If you have minimal tools and some skills you can make a fire and that to enables you to make more tools, for instance. And so on.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
izzy_mack

Post by izzy_mack »

shocker wrote:On a superficial level I would say that, like most things in life, its a balance between the two.

If you have minimal tools and some skills you can make a fire and that to enables you to make more tools, for instance. And so on.

Ditto.
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

I made a thread about this very topic a while back that you may find useful.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14177

As others have said, I definitely think you need a balance of the two but that a lot of people fall into the trap of acquiring gear over obtaining skills - they do this because it is easier to purchase things than to spend time learning skills and I must admit I have fallen foul of this too.
shocker

Post by shocker »

And that, my friends, sums it up perfectly.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
ChefSimon

Post by ChefSimon »

MBJ wrote:I made a thread about this very topic a while back that you may find useful.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14177

As others have said, I definitely think you need a balance of the two but that a lot of people fall into the trap of acquiring gear over obtaining skills - they do this because it is easier to purchase things than to spend time learning skills and I must admit I have fallen foul of this too.
Talk about hitting the nail on the head! I'm more about the skills and taking the time to learn them, once I've learnt it the 'stuff' comes with experience and I have found myself in the past getting something different than the mainstream as it suits my skill base better and gives a better end result (normally for less cash as well)
Prior Planning & Preperation Prevents P*** Poor Performance.

No plan survives first contact.

Bug in before bugging out. Meet the problem on your terms!