No cost or low cost preps

How are you preparing
jansman

No cost or low cost preps

Post by jansman »

I was listening to Woman's Hour on R 4 today.The subject was poor womens' inability to access sanitary products in the Third World,and in the UK too.A spokeswoman from a Leeds food bank was giving evidence of this in her experience.

At this point I had reached a drop,and had to turn off. The subject I found disturbing,but I digress.The subject discussed and also about food banks highlights the poverty out there.In particular, it shows how vulnerable you can become,and that for many there are no resources to fall back on.And that is my point.How to build resources when you have little or no cash at all.

We have a steady stream of newcomers here at UK Preppers,some of whom have an idea what they are doing,some who don't. I know from my own experience, that in the early days the whole subject was overwhelming ( and at times expensive) but now I know differently.

So I'll chuck it out there.What can you do to prep for zero cost,or at most,only £2.50 per week.That £2.50 may be all you have left at the end of the week if you are in financial straits,but you still want to get some resources behind you either for SHTF or the next late benefit payment.Indeed,you may only have a pound.

So I will start with the most basic prep.Water.Not fancy boutique bottled,nor even cheap bottled water,as that costs money.Tap water in washed pop bottles.Rinse the bottles in hot water,then fill em with hot water and a few drops of thin,unscented bleach.The 'value' 30p stuff.leave em for half an hour,empty ( no need to rinse) and then fill with tap water.Store in a cool dark place,and you are good for six months.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Re: No cost or low cost preps

Post by Brambles »

On the subject of ladies sanitary products and the exhorbitant cost of them and don't even get me started on the VAT!!! I found an article some years back about making your own re-usable items. This would fit in well with your frugal store cupboard.

http://tipnut.com/free-pattern-for-wash ... rual-pads/
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Good link.With three ladies in my life ( well ,two in that respect!) It matters a lot. Thank you.

Next zero cost prep.Grow some spuds.If you have a garden,easy.If you have a yard or outdoor area, still easy.This time of year there are always a few spuds sprouting.If you don't have any,ask a friend or neighbour.Late in the day at the local market you may well nail some for nothing ,or next to nothing.Second grown potatoes can be more vigorous than 'seed' potatoes. If you have no 'garden' but an outdoor area,get hold of some buckets/tubs/ or large containers( min 2 gallon) from skips,neighbours,Facebook etc. Get some drain holes in the bottom.Half fill with soil or homemade compost,plant a couple of taters and keep adding soil as they grow.Keep watered,and feed with liquid comfrey or manure.Harvest when they die back.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

If I were on such a budget, and assuming I was prepping more for financial bumps in the road, I would probably skip water preps. If wages\benefits are late, the taps are still on, but the cupboard may be bare.

Therefore, I would try to build a good stock of cheap value food as a just in case. For less than a quid you could easily put up a meal for 2.

If it were for more teotwawki, then I agree with the pop bottles. Hell, I have a bigger budget than that and I already do it. I drink the 17p 2ltr bottles of cola from tescos, and when empty I clean them and fill them with tap water.

I'd also search for any free cycle schemes in the area, it is amazing what you could get. Maybe some large containers for food\water storage, free wood for the fire, etc.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Veg garden if you have a garden...

Packs of seeds cost 29p from pound stretcher

No plant pots... Save yogert pots slit a small hole in the bottom for drainage

Compost is £1 for a 20l bag

A spade makes life easy in the garden as too does a trowel

You could borrow a spade think trowels were £1.99 in home bargains
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

It's a cliché, but knowledge..... get yourself to a library, on line, or work courses. Improve your lot, improve your chances.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Britcit wrote:If I were on such a budget, and assuming I was prepping more for financial bumps in the road, I would probably skip water preps. If wages\benefits are late, the taps are still on, but the cupboard may be bare.

Therefore, I would try to build a good stock of cheap value food as a just in case. For less than a quid you could easily put up a meal for 2.

If it were for more teotwawki, then I agree with the pop bottles. Hell, I have a bigger budget than that and I already do it. I drink the 17p 2ltr bottles of cola from tescos, and when empty I clean them and fill them with tap water.

I'd also search for any free cycle schemes in the area, it is amazing what you could get. Maybe some large containers for food\water storage, free wood for the fire, etc.
Its a bit of both here.Sites like this can often focus on bug out bags with a grands worth of kit and such like. SHTF can be many things to many people.Having resources can help you over all sorts of ' humps'.It is too easy to think that prepping is only for The End times. Prepping is for ALL crap situations.

As pseudonym says " Knowledge". It is the best prep.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Alloneword

Post by Alloneword »

If funds are that tight, and i know they are some folks then maybe look at bin raiding at the back of your local supermarkets, I live in London and sad to say pavements are not paved with gold normally homeless folk, and i don't like to give cash but went and bought the guy a ham/salad sandwich only £1.50 but felt better for doing it came out of supermarket and handed it to him and he laughed and too be honest i was well p1ssed off, so i said what thinking thinking i'd get some smart ar*e comment and he said he picked up about 20 of these from the back of the supermarket a few nights ago and he explained about bin raiding, rolls etc tend to get slung out on the last day but good for 2 more days he said and sometimes packs of bottled water gets lobbed out, say a 6 pack if one of them is broken and laked so 5 are perfect, yes agreed the thought of bin raiding makes me think twice but what is wrong with it if it's for free and most supermarkets don't say anything as it cuts there waste bill.

Freecycle is a good bet, also check out an app called "Shpock" you can order this by location and ask for freebies and they will be local to you, as for "Ladies" items well i'm seeing an old bird so no worries on that score ;)

Also check out mysupermarket and price compare sometimes you get to pick out the BOGOF items and if local enough you can build a stock of food that way

All1
Please bear in mind i am prepping for the River Thames to flood and how i can get to safe ground, I'm not worried about the end of the world..... I'll die with the other Minions.
I can't trust Govt or local Council to help me so i have to help myself.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Britcit touched on wood for the fire.Having stoves,I would certainly seek free wood.I do now.Even if you have no solid fuel heating,its still not a bad idea to keep some wood cut and dry to make a fire outside to cook on or boil water if you have to,for whatever reason.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote:Britcit touched on wood for the fire.Having stoves,I would certainly seek free wood.I do now.Even if you have no solid fuel heating,its still not a bad idea to keep some wood cut and dry to make a fire outside to cook on or boil water if you have to,for whatever reason.
Not "cheap" but not expensive

A wood gasifier stove

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LYK ... ref=plSrch

We keep about 100 kg of wood "on stock" for this stove and the Kelly kettle which I've got handy now the little one has arrived

Can't value the ability to boil good quantities of water using minimum amount of fuel

And if shtf the fencing/ shed / tree/ skirting boards can all be utilised

But this is the low cost thread (a Yorkshire man's dream)

... So skip / bin raid paint cans.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Woodgas-Can-Stove/

And make your own
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine