The Tax Man Cometh !

How are you preparing
jansman

The Tax Man Cometh !

Post by jansman »

Got a phone call today from the Company Accountant.It seems he has had notification from HMRC that I am earning money from another source,and therefore my tax code has changed.It means that the Inland Revenue want another £2100 per year from me.In plain terms that's forty quid a week!

Now,I only wish it were so,but I am only working for one employer .So I rang HMRC and explained the facts.Basically, what I am telling them is not what they believe ( regardless of the fact that they cannot tell me how much or where this extra income is coming from!).So... this now has to escalate to the next level.I rang the accountant and he assured me that this kind of situation is far from rare.He said that he can handle it from here,but he says that because of the combination of workload and sheer ineptitude on the part of HMRC it could take a couple of months to straighten out!

So what's this got to do with prepping ? Well ,I informed her Ladyship of the situation and told her that the pantry was going to be seriously Stress Tested ( same as the banks! :lol: )

Sure,I'll get the money back but I don't want to dip into savings at this point. My Wife and I made a conscious decision to 'Down Shift' last year and get geared up for retirement,so £40 a week makes an impact.It will be interesting to see how long the matter takes.

Just goes to show that SHTF doesn't have to be a meteor strike or zombie invasion! :lol:
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
pseudonym

Re: The Tax Man Cometh !

Post by pseudonym »

Funny how when it's your fault they take the money immediately, but when it's theirs it takes months to return.... :evil:

I'd send them an accountant's bill for damages.... :mrgreen:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
jansman

Post by jansman »

pseudonym wrote:Funny how when it's your fault they take the money immediately, but when it's theirs it takes months to return.... :evil:

I'd send them an accountant's bill for damages.... :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: When it irons out,I might find an excuse to do just that! Stress? Post Traumatic Stress Disorder? Or plain p£ssed off! :lol: :lol:

Robert Frost.

Me.
unsure

Post by unsure »

i had it year before last , they said i had two full time jobs and my tax code could only be used on one of them . i sent them my pay slips and p60 going back 5 years , they soon changed their tune .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Yep they've done it to me too.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
jansman

Post by jansman »

Glad I am not unique.Its not the first time.When the kids were young and The Duchess was a full time Mum it got to payday and I had ZERO wages.The boss had a letter from the Revenue stating that due to underpayments( his fault) in the previous tax year,it had to be settled ASAP.I lost 50% wages the following week too.That was tough.

That was when I officially became a prepper.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Sorry to hear that Jansman, trouble is if they sorted out the loopholes for the wealthy companies, non doms, and other individuals who choose to do the "perfectly legal" avoidance and evasion we would all (well not all) not had to endure those dreaded cuts.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Plymtom wrote:Sorry to hear that Jansman, trouble is if they sorted out the loopholes for the wealthy companies, non doms, and other individuals who choose to do the "perfectly legal" avoidance and evasion we would all (well not all) not had to endure those dreaded cuts.
Its no biggie really,but I have raised this situation to show that prepping ain't just about The End Times. :D We can deal with it easily, but some may not be able to.

Robert Frost.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:
Plymtom wrote:Sorry to hear that Jansman, trouble is if they sorted out the loopholes for the wealthy companies, non doms, and other individuals who choose to do the "perfectly legal" avoidance and evasion we would all (well not all) not had to endure those dreaded cuts.
Its no biggie really,but I have raised this situation to show that prepping ain't just about The End Times. :D We can deal with it easily, but some may not be able to.
Yep, the three times I've had to use my various preps have all been of a similar nature. Divorce, redundancy and homelessness. I had the skills to survive without money in the first, a 6 month food buffer to keep me going through the second and finally a wadge of savings to mitigate third. Never underestimate real life, it can really stuff you up.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Brambles wrote:
jansman wrote: Its no biggie really,but I have raised this situation to show that prepping ain't just about The End Times. :D We can deal with it easily, but some may not be able to.
Yep, the three times I've had to use my various preps have all been of a similar nature. Divorce, redundancy and homelessness. I had the skills to survive without money in the first, a 6 month food buffer to keep me going through the second and finally a wadge of savings to mitigate third. Never underestimate real life, it can really stuff you up.
I agree life a vindictive B£$%^&* most of the time, but we insist on making the best of it :)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.