Carbon Monoxide poisoning from camping gaz cartridges?

How are you preparing
sniper 55

Re: Carbon Monoxide poisoning from camping gaz cartridges?

Post by sniper 55 »

I wouldn't have though the gas would cause the symptoms you have unless there was enough leakage to smell, new cannisters don't usually leak much, used ones can often leak but it's usually a slow leakage over time.
Classic symptons of CO poisoning are dull headach, tiredness or weakness, confusion, dizzyness, and nausea, you may also look flushed.
Are there any fires or gas appliances in your place, if so it might be worth getting checked, they are far more lightly to be a cause. Failing that can vehicle exhaust fumes get sucked in (from local garage, or busy road) sometimes through bathroom fans etc.
I'd suggest you get a detector and bung it in the room you have a problem with. Dont wait CO can be a killer.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

sniper 55 wrote:I wouldn't have though the gas would cause the symptoms you have unless there was enough leakage to smell, new cannisters don't usually leak much, used ones can often leak but it's usually a slow leakage over time.
Classic symptons of CO poisoning are dull headach, tiredness or weakness, confusion, dizzyness, and nausea, you may also look flushed.
Are there any fires or gas appliances in your place, if so it might be worth getting checked, they are far more lightly to be a cause. Failing that can vehicle exhaust fumes get sucked in (from local garage, or busy road) sometimes through bathroom fans etc.
I'd suggest you get a detector and bung it in the room you have a problem with. Dont wait CO can be a killer.
This happens to me on a regular basis, nothing to do with CO poisoning though.

Brambles

Post by Brambles »

^^Like :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

You need to prioritise what is important to you and stop ignoring the very sound advice everyone has given you.

Just for you, as you still seem unable to Google.

Carbon Monoxide Detector Placement - Carbon Monoxide - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Proper placement of a carbon monoxide (CO) detector is important. If you are installing only one carbon monoxide detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends it be located near the sleeping area, where it can wake you if you are asleep. Additional detectors on every level and in every bedroom of a home provides extra protection against carbon monoxide poisoning.

http://www.homesafe.com/coalert/detect.php

Just so you know, Dogs can die of Carbon Monoxide poisoning too and at far lower concentrations than humans.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
katilea

Post by katilea »

I did google the symptoms but camping gaz cylinders weren't mentioned so wasn't sure if they could leak. There is a carbon monoxide monitor put in my kitchen by my HA. The only thing that is gas (usually) in the house is the boiler, everything else is electric. I just got them with a small camping stove in case of powercuts but have never had chance to use them and they seem to have gone empty on their own.

I've stuck them outside last night, but don't know if they are safe to keep incase they had gone empty because they were leaking or that's what they do anyway if not used and they are still safe to have in the house until I can get rid of them? which is what I wanted to know!
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

katilea wrote:I did google the symptoms but camping gaz cylinders weren't mentioned so wasn't sure if they could leak. There is a carbon monoxide monitor put in my kitchen by my HA. The only thing that is gas (usually) in the house is the boiler, everything else is electric. I just got them with a small camping stove in case of powercuts but have never had chance to use them and they seem to have gone empty on their own.

I've stuck them outside last night, but don't know if they are safe to keep incase they had gone empty because they were leaking or that's what they do anyway if not used and they are still safe to have in the house until I can get rid of them? which is what I wanted to know!
I don't think it really matters about the brand, there is the possibility of any type of gas canister to leak over time.
unsure

Post by unsure »

ive had some of those type of gas cans on the shelf for over 5 years , none have lost anything . were they are stored i would be very aware of any leaking .

while they are out side , keep them covered just incase they are not the problem .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have some butane cartridges that are 17 years old. Still good.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I'm maybe missing something here but have you actually 'plugged them in' and tried using one to see if it still has any gas in it ?????
Happyhacker

Post by Happyhacker »

Never, ever store gas in the house. Period. A well aired garage (as long as the garage is not attached else a shed) and check them once a month for content presence even if they are unused and replace if necessary.