Telling the other half you're a prepper

How are you preparing
Britcit

Re: Telling the other half you're a prepper

Post by Britcit »

A further development on the wife being on board front. Last week she says she's on fumes in the car as the local station had a fault. Nearest one was 15 miles in the other direction.

No problem says I, there are 10 liters the garage. (Primarily as extra fuel for the Genny, but also back up for her car). I just point out where it is and explain she's more than welcome to it just make sure you replace it asap.

SAME DAY, we are travelling to a friends and realises she is out of ciggys. Out comes my EDC, and 20 smokes are produced. I don't smoke, these are back ups for her I hadn't told her about.

The rest of the journey is taken up with 'why I prep'. Power cuts (happens often), water being shut off with no notice ( happened twice in the last year), weather causing food shortages (happened only a couple of years back) ect. She then goes on to talk about what would we do in case of another Ebola out break, or a major ISIS attack, or a major pandemic of swine flu etc.

She was going through the 'what its' of her own volition, and it made me smile. Another break through.

We now have a tentative plan that if 'something' happens, we both hit the nearest supermarket for supplies, and head home. She even bought a few things the other day for the prep storage room.

Another result :D

Now to put together an edc for her.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Britcit wrote:A further development on the wife being on board front. Last week she says she's on fumes in the car as the local station had a fault. Nearest one was 15 miles in the other direction.

No problem says I, there are 10 liters the garage. (Primarily as extra fuel for the Genny, but also back up for her car). I just point out where it is and explain she's more than welcome to it just make sure you replace it asap.

SAME DAY, we are travelling to a friends and realises she is out of ciggys. Out comes my EDC, and 20 smokes are produced. I don't smoke, these are back ups for her I hadn't told her about.

The rest of the journey is taken up with 'why I prep'. Power cuts (happens often), water being shut off with no notice ( happened twice in the last year), weather causing food shortages (happened only a couple of years back) ect. She then goes on to talk about what would we do in case of another Ebola out break, or a major ISIS attack, or a major pandemic of swine flu etc.

She was going through the 'what its' of her own volition, and it made me smile. Another break through.

We now have a tentative plan that if 'something' happens, we both hit the nearest supermarket for supplies, and head home. She even bought a few things the other day for the prep storage room.

Another result :D

Now to put together an edc for her.
Result, I'm still on a journey with mine and I doubt she'll ever buy into it as much as I do but she surprises me from time to time. Because 'prepping' is such a broad subject there are aspects of it that appeal to her, mostly the self sufficient side as she's the gardener and enjoys baking etc so I've encouraged her and she's fine now with stockpiling flour etc where she wasn't before. At the end of the day, you have to go with what you've got when it comes to the other half, although you can always go for an upgrade.... ;)

There's a thought, a lonely hearts section. :lol:
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Deeps wrote:although you can always go for an upgrade....
My dad used to say I can understand anyone wanting to get married...... Once.

It only takes the right nudge I would imagine, and in the right mood too, hiding the spare toilet roll if you haven't got a lot is a good starting place, more often than not the most sarcastic or eye rolling non prepper folks are ripe for running out of smokes/TP/petrol, some people wander from disaster to disaster of easily avoided crap, fortunately common sense appears to be contagious, modern life has made us needy and reliant, but times are changing :D
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
shocker

Post by shocker »

My other half is an angel when it comes to prep, as long as theres TP, cat food and her guitar, not much else bothers her. So long as the chip shop stays open. She does get a trifle testy if not fed regular. In fact, the cats might have to fight her for rations.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Appin

Post by Appin »

Interesting.

My wife knows I prep and is willing to discuss risks options plans.

We have plans for getting home and pre planned meeting points.

I have no hidden stashes and recent discussion has covered what we need to improve on.

Overall supportive and cooperative just not fully engaged

Appin
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:My other half is an angel when it comes to prep, as long as theres TP, cat food and her guitar, not much else bothers her. So long as the chip shop stays open. She does get a trifle testy if not fed regular. In fact, the cats might have to fight her for rations.

Just the one Guitar? perish the thought :lol:
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
shocker

Post by shocker »

I know !! I, of course, have 5, a bass, 2 drum kits, 1 electronic drum kit, a piano, a couple of mixing desks and 2k of PA (I had over 40 at one time)...but she's a one guy,one guitar kinda gal ;)

...but it is a very expensive, spanish guitar. On which she plays exquisite flamenco. And best of all, the best of the Pogues when I has a little drink :P
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

Plymtom wrote:
shocker wrote:My other half is an angel when it comes to prep, as long as theres TP, cat food and her guitar, not much else bothers her. So long as the chip shop stays open. She does get a trifle testy if not fed regular. In fact, the cats might have to fight her for rations.

Just the one Guitar? perish the thought :lol:
But points for redundency on the Cat front ;)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote:I know !! I, of course, have 5, a bass, 2 drum kits, 1 electronic drum kit, a piano, a couple of mixing desks and 2k of PA (I had over 40 at one time)...but she's a one guy,one guitar kinda gal ;)

...but it is a very expensive, spanish guitar. On which she plays exquisite flamenco. And best of all, the best of the Pogues when I has a little drink :P

I like it :) I've only got 10 - 7 are 6 string, 4 are 12, 2 are acoustic, and 1 is a Bass, I have little PA too, don't play much these days, makes more noise than my lot can cope with.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Plymtom wrote:
shocker wrote:I know !! I, of course, have 5, a bass, 2 drum kits, 1 electronic drum kit, a piano, a couple of mixing desks and 2k of PA (I had over 40 at one time)...but she's a one guy,one guitar kinda gal ;)

I like it :) I've only got 10 - 7 are 6 string, 4 are 12, 2 are acoustic, and 1 is a Bass, I have little PA too, don't play much these days, makes more noise than my lot can cope with.