Telling the other half you're a prepper

How are you preparing
Plymtom

Re: Telling the other half you're a prepper

Post by Plymtom »

jaffab wrote:We have house insurance, but that does not mean I want the house to burn down
We have car insurance, but that does not mean I want to drive into another car
We have our pensions, but that does not mean I want to stop working
Now we have plans should things turn bad out there, but that does not mean I want to world to end
I just want us to be safe, and just like the insurance, its something that hopefully we wont need, but in case we do, its there to fall back on.
That is the point of it all, even though some scenario discussions look a bit either :tinfoil or like we are eagerly awaiting a scenario which no one would come out of unscathed.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
shocker

Post by shocker »

Too right Tom...there will be no winners if things do go bad, merely sad survivors. Id much rather never have to use any of my kit for anything more scary than camping holidays.

I cannot even understand people who go offroad driving for fun. I have spent too much of my life struggling to get vehicles through waist deep mud/shite to see it as a hobby. However, I do maintain a Range Rover with a winch.
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

shocker wrote: I cannot even understand people who go offroad driving for fun. I have spent too much of my life struggling to get vehicles through waist deep mud/shite to see it as a hobby. However, I do maintain a Range Rover with a winch.
I have always thought people obsessed with sport, soap operas, and now reality TV are raving mad.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
yorkshirewolf

Post by yorkshirewolf »

I find prepping to be a mindset, which to a degree my OH has, it's not about the 'Walking Dead' scenario, it's the little things like not running out of toilet roll, making sure there's plenty of food in the house which can be kept long term, down to having some cash put away to pay the rent/mortgage in the event of a job loss/illness.

My other half is pretty much aware of my preps and thinks for the most part it's great, she's not fully aware of everything, but that's ok.

a few friends and relatives are aware that i'm normally well prepared for various emergencies, or that i'm at least aware of what to do, but it's not something i or we advertise.

I find being around people who don't prep or organise, then complain about things going wrong and 'not fair' to be incredibly frustrating, so it's good thats she's on board!
jaffab

Post by jaffab »

I had a nice breakthrough today..... Wife needed to go to town to have her glasses amended and we had an hour to kill, so she asked if there was anything we needed to do. I said sure, led her into blacks, and said we needed a bag she was happy with, that felt good, but would hold 40l of space. She asked why she needed a bag when we had other bags (workout bags, camera bags) and I said that it was part of the 'plans', and that hopefully once she had picked it, she would never see it again. And she said, oh, it's a bug out bag.

Anyway, as we were leaving with the bag, she started pointing stuff out. Tent!, she said, we should get a tent. Already got said I. What about....? Yep, all in hand.

So that's her Bob sorted, just 6 items left to get and my Plan B and Plan C plans are all in place.

Note.... Same bag, one with blue accent, one with red. Same model, size, but red v blue. Red was £10 more than the blue. Guess which colour she picked. Women, peh!
You live in a time of decay, when the worth of a man is how much he can pay (Flamboyant, Pet Shop Boys, 2006)
shocker

Post by shocker »

Now Im lucky there...my other half is more warry than me and wears DPM...by choice :shock:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:Now Im lucky there...my other half is more warry than me and wears DPM...by choice :shock:
Maybe doesn't want to be seenwith you. :lol:

I'll get me coat.
shocker

Post by shocker »

couldnt blame her...Im no oil painting. More like an oil spill :(
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

shocker wrote:couldnt blame her...Im no oil painting. More like an oil spill :(
There's money in oil, she hasn't upped your insurance lately has she. :o