Telling the other half you're a prepper

How are you preparing
Britcit

Re: Telling the other half you're a prepper

Post by Britcit »

Appin wrote:Interesting.

My wife knows I prep and is willing to discuss risks options plans.

We have plans for getting home and pre planned meeting points.

I have no hidden stashes and recent discussion has covered what we need to improve on.

Overall supportive and cooperative just not fully engaged

Appin

Sounds like a good stage to be at Appin. She may never get fully engaged (I doubt my Mrs will), but supportive and cooperative is good solid ground to build on.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Catswhiskers

Post by Catswhiskers »

Latterday Saints, Mormons, were advised more than 50 years ago to have a years food, fuel stored, obviously with a means to cook, keep warm etc

My husband has no interest in anything which involves his wallet, so it is as well that I learned right from the start that though we were married, I might as well still have been single. So, if your other half is not interested, don't go into a downward spiral of despair. When all hell breaks loose you will find they develop an interest overnight!!

I started 25 years ago. I remarried 20 years ago. My husband has never added as much as a box of matches! It can be a lonely life being an unsupported prepper.☹️ I just ferret away at it on my own.
General DeGaulle

Post by General DeGaulle »

Luckily, my other half is a member of a dying subgroup called 'rural working class', so she has always lived in a household where it was normal to grow veggies, pick and store blackberries, have plenty of tools and wood around, and to sort something out yourself rather than 'get a man in'. She just sees the prepping stuff as an extension of the sensible practical way of managing things she was brought up with. A radio 4 listener from childhood, she is completely aware of the impact of political events, financial crashes and the outside chance of a major war/major natural event. She is a natural hoarder, so the presence of lots of stuff we might need in the future is no problem for her.

Things such as the acquisition of silver, low grade weapons (for hunting small game, of course), multi - tools and home security measures she leaves to me, although she completely gets the thinking behind it. Now, lets see if this trend continues when I start checking out short wave radios and self - build wind turbines...
ForgeCorvus

Post by ForgeCorvus »

General DeGaulle wrote: Now, lets see if this trend continues when I start checking out short wave radios
New hobby, also useful when camping, at agricultural show, street party or WHY

and self - build wind turbines...
Off-Grid power for the shed (if yours is like mine and too stupidly far from the house for mains) or a money saving plan (not to be sniffed at ITD&A)
jennyjj01 wrote:"I'm not in the least bit worried because I'm prepared: Are you?"
Londonpreppy wrote: At its core all prepping is, is making sure you're not down to your last sheet of loo roll when you really need a poo.
"All Things Strive" Gd Tak 'Gar
peejay

Post by peejay »

My OH has started to think in terms of prepping now which makes life far easier! Even she's starting to look at food items (that she's interested in obviously) and their shelf-life so I reckon she'll be fully on board soon enough! ;-)

She also had it in her head that Syria were imminently going to be launching a chemical warfare attack on us (rather than their own) so started talking about gas masks! However she then started talking about how the dog would need one too! :)
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

peejay wrote: However she then started talking about how the dog would need one too!
We used to need one for the dog ;)
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
xplosiv1

Post by xplosiv1 »

Been a while since i've been on, just reading through the thread today some of its hilarious.

I've never really had "the chat" with the missus but she knows, I'm kinda spoiled I have an entire room full of my preps so there's no hiding anymore.

I used to squirrel stuff away back when I started but that would be impossible now, I get the odd remark every now and again but I think she secretly likes it. Anytime we run out of something I've always got a spare whether it's food, batteries, cleaning supplies etc.

She calls it my doomsday room lol

recently though she has really gotten onboard, we take trips to Costco together to pick up supplies when theres good deals to be had also she's growing lots of veggies in the back garden learning how to dehydrate and preserve (meat too) .... she enjoys that side of it all. I dont think i'd push the issue with her to get more involved, i'll just let her do her thing at her pace and help out where i can. were pretty much sorted for almost every eventuality from my preps anyway.
Area 11

Endure the pain of discipline or Suffer the pain of regret.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

xplosiv1 wrote:She calls it my doomsday room lol

recently though she has really gotten onboard, we take trips to Costco together to pick up supplies when theres good deals to be had also she's growing lots of veggies in the back garden learning how to dehydrate and preserve (meat too) .... she enjoys that side of it all. I dont think i'd push the issue with her to get more involved, i'll just let her do her thing at her pace and help out where i can. were pretty much sorted for almost every eventuality from my preps anyway.
I think many people who take the &iss initially do actually see the risks, history, even religion, teaches that preparedness for hard times is indeed sensible and saves lives, it is really only in the last (post WW2 ) few decades that things have gotten so unrealistic for more wealthy countries, whose reliance on a fairly fragile infrastructure is leaving them wide open for a big shock, too much automation, too much last minute stocking of shelves ( this for me is proven every dam week at Tesco Extra (my arse) where my lot ask for two lost of an offer 2 for £3 and there's only one and a half lots on the shelf :lol: it was this sort of thing which lead to us being what you could call preppers, they carry no stock so we have to.

More often than not a person who takes the mickey will defeat their own mockery by saying " I know where to go if the SHTF then", for those of us with limited resources, it's infuriating to be going a little shorter than they are in order to not get caught with our pants down ( or no TP) and their first thought is to take the *iss, their second to run to you, and never go beyond that, there are more people out there with a prepared mentality these days than we think, many aren't aware of it, if you've got a well stocked larder, you're part prepper to begin with.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

xplosiv1 wrote:Been a while since i've been on, just reading through the thread today some of its hilarious.

I've never really had "the chat" with the missus but she knows, I'm kinda spoiled I have an entire room full of my preps so there's no hiding anymore.

I used to squirrel stuff away back when I started but that would be impossible now, I get the odd remark every now and again but I think she secretly likes it. Anytime we run out of something I've always got a spare whether it's food, batteries, cleaning supplies etc.

She calls it my doomsday room lol

On the odd time that you can't magic up the required item is there mock outrage ? We're the same, and I think she quite likes that we have all the stuff 'just in case' but also because its maybe 'our thing', I don't prep as part of a group, its just us (well me really) and most other activities we mix with other folk, football, walking dogs etc but the 'zombie stores' is our little secret kind of thing. Maybe over thinking it though. :lol:
jansman

Post by jansman »

I have been running our stores down ; hard.We needed to use stuff up.Yesterday Mrs J remarked that "We are a bit low on x,y and z." She IS on board- we have both been poor! When we feel so,we will go and swag up.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.