How Likely is it?

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: How Likely is it?

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

katilea wrote:
..yes am registered for emergency SMS but that is for 999 like police, fire or ambulance. I don't think its to ask them why I have no electricity and when will it be back on!

yes im well aware of that :?
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

Our electric goes off a lot. And with it the phone and the internet. I don't bother fussing or trying to get hold of them as if the power is off then they will know it themselves, so I just get on with life and wait for it to go back on.
I think freeze dried meals are just for walkers and hikers, I wouldn't waste my money on them. There are tons of things you can get that are far better. Starting with cuppa soups and pot noodles as the basics, and Mars Bars are terrific.
It's minus 6.7 here this morning and I feel sorry for the birds, I got them half a doz extra pkts of digestive biscuits in Aldi! :mrgreen:
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

diamond lil wrote:Our electric goes off a lot. And with it the phone and the internet. I don't bother fussing or trying to get hold of them as if the power is off then they will know it themselves, so I just get on with life and wait for it to go back on.
I think freeze dried meals are just for walkers and hikers, I wouldn't waste my money on them. There are tons of things you can get that are far better. Starting with cuppa soups and pot noodles as the basics, and Mars Bars are terrific.
It's minus 6.7 here this morning and I feel sorry for the birds, I got them half a doz extra pkts of digestive biscuits in Aldi! :mrgreen:
You can make your own dehydrated meals though. Although if staying put its not really an issue, just eat canned stuff for the few days that you're stuck in.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

katilea wrote:
so... should I get more camping gaz for the little stoves? more sticks for the kelly kettle? (my back up for my back up!) and an emergency rations supply incase things are bad for a few weeks? ..how likely is it that its going to be that bad in Yorkshire?
If you feel that's prudent then yes, of course you should. And ditto the emergency rations, this is what prepping is all about...! Food, water, gas for the stove an alternative means of lighting (battery/solar/wind up lanterns work well), a calor gas heater with enough gas to last for an extended period of time so you can keep warm if no central heating.

You should also be doing your own research and not simply believing what a newspaper tells you - especially the Daily Express. :mrgreen:

All of this is very basic stuff. Food, water, heating and light. You need to start to think about how to solve the particular set of challenges that your personal circumstances present, that's what we do as preppers. And yes, always back up your back up - twice, if you think it's necessary.

If I was in your position I would have at least a months worth of food in the house, stuff that can be cooked easily and quickly (saving gas on the camping stove if you need to use it). Paper plates/plastic cutlery that you can throw out if the hot water is off, bottled water (at least 50 litres) and a calor gas heater with two spare gas bottles. Plus alternative light sources, and a spare mobile phone which is kept fully charged at all times with a wind up charger (you can get these off of Ebay for a few quid). I'd have all of the aforementioned AT THE VERY LEAST.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

The weather from a Reputable provider.

Don't you think it would be a good idea to bookmark it Katilea.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast

Forecast summary
UK 5 days UK 6-30 days
UK forecast for the next 5 days
Fine, sunny and cold for most.
Today:
After a frosty start, most places will be fine and cold with sunshine gradually turning hazy from the north-west. Eastern coasts of England may see the odd shower at first and in the far west it'll be cloudier at times.

Tonight:
Strengthening winds and outbreaks of rain will arrive across Scotland and Northern Ireland, and later Northern England. Elsewhere, it will be dry with frost and patchy fog in the south-east.

Friday:
Frost and patchy fog will affect southern Britain initially. Otherwise outbreaks of locally heavy rain will continue to spread across most areas. Brightening up further north, with scattered showers.

Outlook for Saturday to Monday:
Mostly dry but often cloudy over the weekend, although less cold. Becoming wet and windy on Monday with early rain spreading southwards, followed by squally showers in the north-west.

Updated at: 0025 on Thu 5 Jan 2017
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

katilea wrote:but if I've got no power then I can't get online either as my router is plugged in to the mains! ..unless I happen to have some data left on my phone (it 'expires' after a certain date whether used or not) to get online, but always have credit to text.

I've emailed them anyway to ask if there is a number I could send an SMS to in an emergency and no electric and explained my situation, hopefully someone will answer.

..yes am registered for emergency SMS but that is for 999 like police, fire or ambulance. I don't think its to ask them why I have no electricity and when will it be back on!

What about a small solar panel for charging mobile phone and/or laptop. I did a quick Google search and there are plenty of inexpensive models on the market.

It's not really a good idea to keep focussing on what you CAN'T do, but rather what you need to actually DO in order to keep your life ticking along as normal (or as normal as possible) should something happen, such as the bad weather that you are obviously very concerned about.
katilea

Post by katilea »

itsybitsy wrote:
katilea wrote:but if I've got no power then I can't get online either as my router is plugged in to the mains! ..unless I happen to have some data left on my phone (it 'expires' after a certain date whether used or not) to get online, but always have credit to text.

I've emailed them anyway to ask if there is a number I could send an SMS to in an emergency and no electric and explained my situation, hopefully someone will answer.

What about a small solar panel for charging mobile phone and/or laptop. I did a quick Google search and there are plenty of inexpensive models on the market.

It's not really a good idea to keep focussing on what you CAN'T do, but rather what you need to actually DO in order to keep your life ticking along as normal (or as normal as possible) should something happen, such as the bad weather that you are obviously very concerned about.
I only mention what I can't do cos I find people forget about my needs and end up suggesting things that are useless to me like just ring so and so or just go round and ask a neighbour when I have 8 in of snow in my drive and can't physically get to my neighbours door! it gets frustrating so find it easier to say ok here's the issues can you think of something I may have missed?

This happened to me in 2010 first severe snow since being in a wheelchair and no-one remembered or thought I maybe struggling,no one contacted me to ask or knocked on my door to ask if I had enough food or if I needed the dog taking for a walk. Food shop cancelled as van had gone off the road the day before on black ice and I hadn't prepared as I had always been able to just walk to the shop or whatever. So quickly learnt I can't rely on anyone.Most of year is not a problem,when (paid) services I rely on cancel cos it snowed I'm stuck knowing that no-one else will think about or remember I might need an hand.

Do you have any links to these solar chargers?
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

Just go to Google and put in 'solar panel for charging mobile phone/laptop' and you'll get plenty of results to go at.

I think that comment about 'people forget about my needs' is rather rude. I have checked through your postings and people on here are more than helpful! There are members on here with disabilities and ailments who manage to find effective ways to deal with their own personal challenges by prepping accordingly, rather than expecting to be spoon-fed every last bit of information, which I'm afraid is what it looks like you are doing. Members of our community are more than willing to offer advice, but you need to also help yourself. That's the cornerstone of prepping!
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Maybe you need a stronger network of local friends and neighbours. This might be worth working on in the good weather.
diamond lil

Post by diamond lil »

....Or if you took Itsy's advice and stocked up now, and kept that current? I'm 11 miles from the nearest shop, been mainly housebound for over a year now, but Sainsbugs bring my shopping to me weekly, so I rarely run short of anything. :mrgreen:
Deeps that's true yes. I always forget about dehydrators being handy things to have.