How Likely is it?

How are you preparing
katilea

How Likely is it?

Post by katilea »

Anyone seen latest on weather?

http://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/7 ... heavy-snow

I know newspapers often exaggerate when they mention 'ice ages' and stuff and when they say its gonna snow and freeze it usually only actually applies to very Northern Scotland and England! ... but what are the odds of them being right about this ice rain and it disrupting power etc?

QUOTE "Supercooled rain will instantly freeze as it hits the ground triggering a so-called glaze effect - more common in the United States affected areas become blanketed in deadly inch-thick sheets of ice.

The phenomenon - also referred to as an ice storm - can tear down tree branches and power cables as huge clumps of ice form in seconds" UNQUOTE

Typical it would come as I'd just got my food shop and got more salads and stuff to lose weight! ...still at least I should burn some calories shivering in -15 especially if no heating! :shock:

..but seriously how likely is it? Should I get in more camping gaz fuel incase so I can at least boil water and get more 'just add water' and tinned stuff to heat quickly ... maybe an emergency food supply with the those water heaters included (for when fuel ran out if it was going to last a month or so).

Bearing in mind I've no car, live rurally and wheelchair user (& live at bottom of a cul-de-sac that doesn't get cleared) so if its is going to be all deep snow and ice from end of next week I have no way to get out to local shops and my only family member who would try to reach me would probably struggle considering he lives further out in villages from town than I do and no longer has his 4 x 4 off-road land rover (that he had last time we had a severe winter) and is probably gonna be struggling himself getting to work! (as will everyone else in the country!) .. Best thing I can do is get organised, stay in and try and stay warm.

so... should I get more camping gaz for the little stoves? more sticks for the kelly kettle? (my back up for my back up!) and an emergency rations supply incase things are bad for a few weeks? ..how likely is it that its going to be that bad in Yorkshire?
Deeps

Re: How Likely is it?

Post by Deeps »

You're asking preppers if we think you should stock up more ?????

What do you think we'll say. :lol:

As for the weather forecast, my names not Michael Fish ( :roll: ) so I'll not make any predictions. All you can do is be as prepared as you can be I suppose.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Next week's forecast doesn't look too bad we have had a bit of ice rain in the past

Does your villages power supply come in on overhead lines??

Put this number by your phone 105

https://www.northernpowergrid.com/105

Know they also monitor twitter 24/7

Have you actually tried seeing how long your stove will last on a cartridge used with care you can usually get plenty of brews from one ;)

Mate of mine has these

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/oex-sola-x-cookset-p362177

And the pot boils water really quick due to the fins on the pan base

But I wouldn't worry too much check out the Metoffice and metcheck rather than believing the rag
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

The Daily Express eh ? You know if you keep saying it, one of these years it will happen, but hey it's winter so if it gets nasty the car will stay put, if it gets too nasty so will we, all too often around these parts snow and ice aren't a problem, storms get nasty though If they are right this timegood luck everyone.
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Bring it on! I can't wait for snow, I love the stuff! :mrgreen:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
katilea

Post by katilea »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:Next week's forecast doesn't look too bad we have had a bit of ice rain in the past

Have you actually tried seeing how long your stove will last on a cartridge used with care you can usually get plenty of brews from one ;)

Mate of mine has these

But I wouldn't worry too much check out the Metoffice and metcheck rather than believing the rag
My issue with phone is as I'm deaf I use a minicom phone which is plugged into the mains so of course won't work if there's a powercut. Any idea if they can be contacted via SMS? ..I guess I should maybe add a powerbank and maybe extra data on my phone.

I haven't used any of the camping gaz as I didn't want to waste any while I have gas/electric just in case we did have a powercut that lasted a while or had several over the winter.

I've been looking at the freeze dried food packs but they also need boiling water to re-hydrate, the cheapest ones on ebay are boil in the bag style, and some of the use by dates on some of them were for 2016 or early 2017. The one's with ration heaters seem to be £5-£6 per meal! ..I have made up a cold food hamper after getting idea off a 'cold box' from a food bank designed for people who can't afford gas or electric. ..though I have eaten the jacobs crackers that were in it! :o

oh and got a breadmaker for xmas so got flour in so I can make own bread if I run out (as long as have electric!)

I know its just a newspaper but I was assuming they got their weather reports from the Met office too? I'm assuming everyone does! (who else does the weather?)

Just wondered if anyone on here followed the weather charts etc and knew how likely it was they were right!
katilea

Post by katilea »

Deeps wrote:You're asking preppers if we think you should stock up more ?????

As for the weather forecast, my names not Michael Fish ( :roll: ) so I'll not make any predictions. All you can do is be as prepared as you can be I suppose.

lol.. well no I'm more asking how likely you think it is that they are right about the extreme weather and if any one else was prepping for it! :D
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

katilea wrote:
Deeps wrote:You're asking preppers if we think you should stock up more ?????

lol.. well no I'm more asking how likely you think it is that they are right about the extreme weather and if any one else was prepping for it! :D
No idea if they're right, not a lot we can do about it other than be as ready as we can if it does happen. We'll all have different situations, I've got 2 daft dugs that need walked no matter what the weather is doing and touch wood we're still able bodied enough for it not to be an issue.

As for your point about the Met Office, I'm sure the BBC don't use them any more, there are a few providers so it comes down to money as usual. Hope you manage to avoid it anyway, good luck.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

katilea wrote:
Yorkshire Andy wrote:Next week's forecast doesn't look too bad we have had a bit of ice rain in the past

Mate of mine has these

My issue with phone is as I'm deaf I use a minicom phone which is plugged into the mains so of course won't work if there's a powercut. Any idea if they can be contacted via SMS? ..I guess I should maybe add a powerbank and maybe extra data on my phone.

I haven't used any of the camping gaz as I didn't want to waste any while I have gas/electric just in case we did have a powercut that lasted a while or had several over the winter.

I've been looking at the freeze dried food packs but they also need boiling water to re-hydrate, the cheapest ones on ebay are boil in the bag style, and some of the use by dates on some of them were for 2016 or early 2017. The one's with ration heaters seem to be £5-£6 per meal! ..I have made up a cold food hamper after getting idea off a 'cold box' from a food bank designed for people who can't afford gas or electric. ..though I have eaten the jacobs crackers that were in it! :o

oh and got a breadmaker for xmas so got flour in so I can make own bread if I run out (as long as have electric!)

I know its just a newspaper but I was assuming they got their weather reports from the Met office too? I'm assuming everyone does! (who else does the weather?)

Just wondered if anyone on here followed the weather charts etc and knew how likely it was they were right!

Which is why i mentioned twitter:

https://twitter.com/

if you set up an account (its free) you can save Northern Powergrid to your favourites

they are also on facebook

and use the messaging on either site to report power cuts

Indecently have you seen this?:

http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/about_emergencysms.php

http://www.yas.nhs.uk/Calling999/999SMS.html

:)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
katilea

Post by katilea »

but if I've got no power then I can't get online either as my router is plugged in to the mains! ..unless I happen to have some data left on my phone (it 'expires' after a certain date whether used or not) to get online, but always have credit to text.

I've emailed them anyway to ask if there is a number I could send an SMS to in an emergency and no electric and explained my situation, hopefully someone will answer.

..yes am registered for emergency SMS but that is for 999 like police, fire or ambulance. I don't think its to ask them why I have no electricity and when will it be back on!