safety in a shtf situation

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: safety in a shtf situation

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Britcit wrote:This thread got me thinking about dealing with a fire, either pre or post shtf.

Have come to the conclusion that we are woefully unprepared! We have a fire blanket in the kitchen, and that's it. Considering that we live in a timber framed house, we could do with a solid plan, and some way of dealing with a fire. Also, our house is quite large with a section of the house separated from the main house by a hallway, toilet and utility room. A fire could start there and be well established before we knew about it.

Thank you medicmark for raising the question.
http://www.safelincs.co.uk/radio-interl ... ke-alarms/

Might be worth looking into ^

Also if you have a hot point / indisit / swan / proline /whirlpool tumble drier read this:

http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk ... le-dryers/
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
medicmark

Post by medicmark »

little update, I only purchased the 1 20 litre backpack sprayer in the end, however I now have 2 small extinguishers and a fire blanket down stairs and a further extinguisher upstairs. outside I now have 2 14 litre buckets of water, my 20 litre sprayer and garden hose as well as my new 100 litre water butt, if I have nil water I can connect this to the power washer and at least put 148 litres on a fire in a first strike and the 3 little extinguishers, I think thats adequate. Glad you have found this a useful thread.
Mark.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Oh lidl from tomorrow 15/1/17
http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-249 ... 0882&ar=10

5a 34b rated to give an idea of extinguishers effectiveness:

A 5a solids fire

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6dWzD1BL0kU

A 34b liquid fire

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sUmGfEshdfU

Nb these are no good on a chip pan...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EPAw3MAtTnw

Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

If you have a laptop or tablet add a bucket of kiln dried sand or salt to your preps....

Lipo battery fires are a total sod to extinguish

Build a sand castle on the fire and await it to burn itself out

Mortblanc

Post by Mortblanc »

I have seen folk that were fast on the keyboard, but not fast enough to set it on fire!
Jamesey1981

Post by Jamesey1981 »

Cheers for the heads up on the extinguishers Andy, I just went and bought four.
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.
gamekeeper752

Post by gamekeeper752 »

Can folks remember that most people don't die in the fire because of the fire itself, but the fumes and heat and getting lost in the thick smoke .I have to assume that most will have fire alarms around the property which are both mains and battery.
having been involved in more than a few in my life although the most beautiful thing, it is a f**king killer and is to be respected.
oh and make sure you have insurance.

make sure you have an escape plan and several routes to get out and please make sure your family know what to do if a fire occurs, and although patch the dog or the cat can be for some a member of the family they are not worth dying for.

And phone the fire service because you might think its out but as we all know it don't take much to come back, unless you've a heat detector at home lol.

sorry to be blunt but I've seen to many dead people from fires to treat this one as a game.
Train hard,Fight easy, put the kettle on and make tea
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Your right gamekeeper..

Fire extinguishers blankets, hoses, are only a First aid
method for SMALL fires

Good housekeeping plays a roll..

Closing all internal doors at night minimises fire and smoke spread

Knowing where the house keys are to get out in a smoke filled hallway

Turning off appliances when not in use be it a phone charger or cooker

Storing flamables out of the house eg petrol or bio ethanol in metal containers is also a wise precaution...

Minimise waste build up

Secure wheelie bins away from the house

Smoking materials disposed of properly and ash trays emptied outside at night

Obviously candles need great care

Escape ladders are a worthy investment too

medicmark

Post by medicmark »

As I have said previously these are just tools and skills, prevention is always better than cure.
as Gamekeeper and Yorkshire Andy have both said it is the smoke that will kill you, also another point is training to use the equipment, I am very lucky due to my previous roles in the fire service and search and rescue I can handle a lot, but would always call the fire service, however my initial question was related to if there was no more fire service, John Wayne time friends your on your own, if your lucky neighbours will help, just makes it easier to have some equipment ready, and having your escape plan and alarms ready and functioning.

in regards to escape ladders, remember who can utilise them and plan accordingly, I have torches in each room to aid evacuation.
thanks.
Mark :geek: