What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by jansman »

Arzosah wrote:jansman, congratulations! You've done yourself proud with all of that :)

All I'm doing is clearing away and tidying up, so that when I have a builder in next month and he has to go in half the rooms in the house, he can do his thing quickly and get out. I've realised my stocking up, the winter sort that Lil's doing to avoid the winter flu germs, isn't going as well as I thought it was.
In my experience, when you clear the area for a builder,they value it and it saves you money.When we got re- wired it cost us 900 quid.I thought he had knocked a '1' off the bill! It seems he valued the room clearance,floorboard removal/replacement, and carpet stuff.I just wanted order!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

jansman wrote:
Arzosah wrote:jansman, congratulations! You've done yourself proud with all of that :)

All I'm doing is clearing away and tidying up, so that when I have a builder in next month and he has to go in half the rooms in the house, he can do his thing quickly and get out. I've realised my stocking up, the winter sort that Lil's doing to avoid the winter flu germs, isn't going as well as I thought it was.
In my experience, when you clear the area for a builder,they value it and it saves you money.When we got re- wired it cost us 900 quid.I thought he had knocked a '1' off the bill! It seems he valued the room clearance,floorboard removal/replacement, and carpet stuff.I just wanted order!

No wonder!

When you turn in and they expect you to move everything including skidmarked knickers and lost "toys" as you shove and hump dirty beds from one side of the room to the other in squaller and filth! (those plastic boot covers keep the van clean!).

Remember one job where there had been a "domestic" and Mr big had hit the light switch smashing it into the stud wall there were human turds on the floor! Never since has a can of foaming contact cleaner been used to clean hand's! (You also decline any offers of "tea" or "coffee" as you saw the state of the kitchen when you asked where the fuse box is!) :o
Overalls in bin bag after that!

Then next job little old lady whole house smelt of bleach tea served in bone china with a saucer :mrgreen:
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

My mate is a plumber/heating chap.As an apprentice he got sent to all the toilet unblocking jobs at the City Council's housing stock and he had similar tales to tell.Enough to say he refuses tea!
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Oh my :shock:

Nope, the only thing they're going to have to do is move a biiiiig bookcase, six feet high and eight feet long. I can't do that
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

I think most understand that big stuff might need moving but boxing up the books is usually a god send so too if you go out is a supply of tea and biscuits ;)

My dad left the kettle / milk / tea bags / sugar / biscuits on a tray you find they do a better job if you look after them ;)

Being cleaning ready for winter Mrs Andy gave me 2 bags of paperwork to burn

Got a stock of rechargeable batteries some old some new so charging them and sorting good from bad

And charged another old but still holding charge leisure battery
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
nickdutch

Post by nickdutch »

ordered a proper air steriliser for this winter. Its the mould season and no-one ventilates like crazy in the winter to I have to take action. Air sterilisers work through incinerating the air that passes through the system thus killing any organic matter.
reperio a solutio
Resident and Co-Ordinator of AREA 2
Area 2 = Hampshire, Berkshire, Oxfordshire, Bucks
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

Big birthday coming up and the family asked what I wanted.
The consensus was that a bunker under the patio was too expensive, so they bought me the next best thing:
:D Well it looks like a bunker!! Though it is actually an All American 21.5 quart pressure canner. On its way over from the US as I type. This type of pressure cooker/canner has no gasket, hence the awesome steampunk wing nuts. My mother was a big pressure cooker fan but she eventually had to buy a new pressure cooker (which she claimed was not as good as the old one) not because the old one gave out, but because she could no longer purchase replacement gaskets for it. This, I figure then, is as long lasting as it can possibly be! Of course it needs to be at the UK price :shock:
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pressure Canning! I have a 16qt Presto and love it. You won't know how you managed without it once you get going. Be prepared to spend as much again on jars. :shock: :lol:
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Chemistry

Post by Chemistry »

So, I have a scary story I experienced last night after I returned home from the UK to my flat. This story showed me exactly why you should prep.

I returned home around 8.30pm to be greeted by my neighbors from the below floor complaining a smoke alarm was sounding...it was my neighbors. I could smell smoke and decided to look over the balcony partion with my torch...I could see the oven was clearly smoking and burning food. I spoke with my neighbors and agreed to climb the partion to investigate and as the balcony door was open I decided to enter and turn off the oven.

I carried my 1000 lumen torch, first aid kit and fire extinguisher. I entered a pitch black flat and found it completely wrecked (broken mirrors, plates, windows the lot), I turned off the oven and opened the front door to my concerned neighbors. I then walked through the wrecked flat calling out to see if anyone was home, my torch then found a face down woman on the floor. I ran over and called out...thankfully she stirred and muttered words and was completely dazed.

The flat was wrecked...unfortunately it seems the daughter of the flat was high as hell off some drugs and caused this havoc...we called all the emergency services and I had to give a statement about the state she was in.

Personally, I have never felt so scared. 1.I thought it could have been a murder/suicide when I saw her face down in smoke. 2. I was terrified she would OD and then I would have a death on my hands.

Not an experience I ever want to experience again. But UNLESS I had my prep gear I would have felt useless to go into a blacked out flat to deal with a potential fatality.

Please note, I was careless to run into a smoking flat as I know too I could have been killed/injured by fire or something else...a lesson well learnt.
Plymtom

Post by Plymtom »

Chemistry wrote:So, I have a scary story I experienced last night after I returned home from the UK to my flat. This story showed me exactly why you should prep.

I returned home around 8.30pm to be greeted by my neighbors from the below floor complaining a smoke alarm was sounding...it was my neighbors. I could smell smoke and decided to look over the balcony partion with my torch...I could see the oven was clearly smoking and burning food. I spoke with my neighbors and agreed to climb the partion to investigate and as the balcony door was open I decided to enter and turn off the oven.

I carried my 1000 lumen torch, first aid kit and fire extinguisher. I entered a pitch black flat and found it completely wrecked (broken mirrors, plates, windows the lot), I turned off the oven and opened the front door to my concerned neighbors. I then walked through the wrecked flat calling out to see if anyone was home, my torch then found a face down woman on the floor. I ran over and called out...thankfully she stirred and muttered words and was completely dazed.

The flat was wrecked...unfortunately it seems the daughter of the flat was high as hell off some drugs and caused this havoc...we called all the emergency services and I had to give a statement about the state she was in.

Personally, I have never felt so scared. 1.I thought it could have been a murder/suicide when I saw her face down in smoke. 2. I was terrified she would OD and then I would have a death on my hands.

Not an experience I ever want to experience again. But UNLESS I had my prep gear I would have felt useless to go into a blacked out flat to deal with a potential fatality.

Please note, I was careless to run into a smoking flat as I know too I could have been killed/injured by fire or something else...a lesson well learnt.
Glad you came through it in one piece - careless... perhaps? But you're also a bloody hero! You saved a life and further damage to adjoining properties including your own, prepping is not all about self preservation, not all about our own survival, that may be an initial motive, but your humanity, and community spirit kicked in, the world's a better place for it well done!
I have a strategy, it's not written in stone, nor can it be, this scenario has too many variables, everything about it depends on those variables, being specific is not possible.