What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
Britcit

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Britcit »

Trees are as rare as rocking horse poop here.

Having said that, I do have some willow to put in soon having 'rooted' some cuttings.
And I do hope to get some pine or spruce put in the garden to give some protection against the wind.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Hi MBJ,
A great suggestion but I live in a New Build Housing Estate with restrictive covenants about all sorts... from window frames to planting trees lo.
However, surrounding me is a nature reserve and all sorts of trees.
In a SHTF situation it will be useful to know what surrounds me as I'll be bugging in.
Found this book that I'm adding to my list of prepps on amazon unless you can suggest anything better.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tree-Medicine- ... 0749922737

MBJ wrote:
Britcit wrote:
mightymayesy wrote:This weeks Preps...
More Water. More Rice.
MM

No cheese? :o

Couldn't resist. :twisted:

On topic - Am currently researching antibiotics, and which to possibly buy/store.
You might also want to take a look at medicinal trees rather than plants as trees are there all year round. You can use their bark to make tea which is very good for you.

For example:

Cedar is good for treating fevers, rheumatism, the flu and chest colds.

Pine is rich in vitamin C to prevent things like Scurvy while Elm salve is good for treating things like knife and gunshot wounds.

Pretty much any tree can be used to treat something.
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
MBJ

Post by MBJ »

Any book like that is good stuff. You can also find lots of good information online and on places like YouTube too.

I personally have learnt a lot through elderly family members who have passed down lessons through oral retelling.

Also, if you're going to be using trees it's good to learn how to identify them. If I remember correctly the National Trust has a handy tree identifier App.
whenfires

Post by whenfires »

I spent four nice outdoor hours yesterday installing guttering to the backs of my shed and summerhouse feeding my two new 190L water butts. Rain is due today so I'll see how quickly they fill up which will be quicker than if I hadn't remembered late last night to check if the taps were turned off on them! Who's the bright spark that nearly let all of his water run straight through his water butts and out onto the floor? :oops:
Twitter: @whenfires
Disclaimer: May contain Amazon affiliate links harmful to wealth
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Next instalment of my outerwear being made:

https://www.facebook.com/Twodogs-outdoo ... /?ref=py_c

Bespoke modular systems which can be worn individually or part of a layer system.
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.
SooBee

Post by SooBee »

Britcit wrote:Trees are as rare as rocking horse poop here.

Having said that, I do have some willow to put in soon having 'rooted' some cuttings.
And I do hope to get some pine or spruce put in the garden to give some protection against the wind.

I liked the dry-stone walled enclosures that Shetlanders grew crops in. Your trees will need the protection right through their lives and setting them in a corner of your house walls might help too. I lived in Brae and the winds blew the trees sideways. Protect your conifers from salt burn too as anywhere in Shetland is near the sea.
Britcit

Post by Britcit »

SooBee wrote:
Britcit wrote:Trees are as rare as rocking horse poop here.

I liked the dry-stone walled enclosures that Shetlanders grew crops in. Your trees will need the protection right through their lives and setting them in a corner of your house walls might help too. I lived in Brae and the winds blew the trees sideways. Protect your conifers from salt burn too as anywhere in Shetland is near the sea.
I think the small stone enclosures are called 'crubs'. I work very near Brae and pop to Frankie's from time to time. There are some very funny shaped trees outside the MidBrae Inn.

I don't really want the trees to close to the house, but my plan is to have plants, bushes, trees planted in such a way to aid sheltering each other. We are in a VERY exposed spot here (like most houses in Shetland to be fair), so any shelter will be of benefit. I hope to build a living willow fence around our garden, but that will be a fair sized project as that will be approx 250 mtrs.
"There are none so blind as those who will not see. The most deluded people are those who choose to ignore what they already know."
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

I finally started to burn the pile-up of twigs and branches from all my hedge pruning - used lots more tinder this time, and got rid of lots :mrgreen:

Used my dehydrator twice as well, finally acting on my ambition to create my own pesto/salsa verde. Note to self: nettles are fine to eat lightly cooked, but drying them "raw" doesn't take their stings away. They still hurt, though not as badly :?
mightymayesy

Post by mightymayesy »

Another 5kg of rice and 12 litres of water for me this week.
Little and often.
I am amazed at how much food and water I have in by just adding on a little to the weekly shop!
MM
Spoiler Alert: Everyone dies.

Prepping Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ukpreppershtf/
shocker

Post by shocker »

Arzosah wrote: Note to self: nettles are fine to eat lightly cooked, but drying them "raw" doesn't take their stings away. They still hurt, though not as badly :?
:lol:
*** NOW 30% LESS SHOCKING!!!***