What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Well the C word is looming Mrs Andy came up trumps with a beer advent calendar for me. Was £60 reduced to £30 on offer and her new Morrison's clubcard pack included a 50% off advent calendars... Nothing in the t&c on the voucher she kicked up a fuss and they reluctantly authorized the reduction :lol: 24 bottles for £15!!!!

Oh and we've got 3 kg of pizza base mix.....
IMG_20171117_180534982.jpg
So had the outdoor oven fired up ;) home made pizzas all round

And minus 2 tonight just used the council grit bin to ensure we don't have some drunken idiot pile his car into the bridge or our house (railway bridge is at the end of our street with a sharp bend

Cars both filled with decent screenwash mixture and checked the coolant on Mrs Andy's car with a hydrometer it's protected to -25°c so will do

Added to my chores today was cleaning the trickle vents round the house (them little vents in upvc windows) full of cobwebs and dirt bathroom one was so bad couldn't see daylight wound up using the little uns pipe cleaners from her arts and crafts kit ;). And a paint brush and super soaker water gun to jet the slots in the upvc out

Garden is tidy ish ready Incase it snows and kids sledges are waxed ;)

Topped up my solar battery bank with the mains charger (since I was in the workshop this morning using the tumble drier I pottered about)

Mrs Andy also took advantage of tescos 3 for price of 2 kids toys with other vouchers she came home with £80 off of toys for £33 and some penny's
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

I like it Andy, if I'm pushed into celebrating the whole baby Jesus thing, my preferred medium would be dirty booze.

Been relatively quiet on the prepping front apart from dehydrating. I did order a gas adaptor that fits trangia's, saw it on a youtube channel and liked the look. My trangia is that old I'm going to have to mod it to run the cable to the gas canister through. Its good to have redundancy on systems though and I have plenty gas for other cookers so not an issue. Here's a link....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULIN-Mini-P ... 2749.l2648

Just noticed the price has crept up a bit.
Yorkshire Andy

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

My netto trangia has the cut out but I've gone full on stoves got one for each type on the market and regulators for larger stoves / gas bottles. Favourite trick a few years ago was pulling bottles out of dykes they are never fully empty ,;)

Meths in home bargains is muck cheap ;)
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

Yorkshire Andy wrote:My netto trangia has the cut out but I've gone full on stoves got one for each type on the market and regulators for larger stoves / gas bottles. Favourite trick a few years ago was pulling bottles out of dykes they are never fully empty ,;)

Meths in home bargains is muck cheap ;)
Cheers, nothing wrong with stocking up. :D
I'll be taking a wee cut out of mine, seems a shame, its nearly an antique, I've had it over 30 years but its a great system and considering what you can stow in it if you don't take the kettle then it packs down quite well.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Been topping up the medicines cabinet, it's been a bit depleted of late.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
peejay

Post by peejay »

Got a few packs (10) of hand-warmers this week. Came across them earlier in the week & it occurred to me that they might be a useful winter prep to keep a few in the car/caravan.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Over the next day or two I shall be collecting leaves in the garden for composting,setting strawberry plants in the greenhouse and getting the chainsaw out and making inroads to the log mountain in the yard.Sometimes, only sometimes, I wonder at the work it takes to feed the stoves .Then after a cold day at work when the house is warmed through,( at next to no cost),its not hard work! Plus the exercise is good;and free!

A useful by product of the chainsawing is the dust/chippings,which are great for putting in with the fowls,and rabbits especially. Saves a copper or two.

Then I have wine and beer to bottle to see us through into 2018,and more to make.Surplus eggs to pickle and fruit to get out of the freezer to chutney.I have also found a load of chillies in one of the freezers,so they will be dehydrated in due course.

Funny thing is,we don't consider this as prepping - its how we live. :D
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arwen Thebard

Post by Arwen Thebard »

"Funny thing is,we don't consider this as prepping - its how we live"

Ditto....
Arwen The Bard

"What did you learn today?"
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

^^Yep.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
unsure

Post by unsure »

just spending the day sorting out the prep room . putting things away and checking dates ect .
YES i walked away mid sentence , you were boring me to death and my survival instincts kick in .