Post by Trojanhorse »

pseudonym wrote:Flu jab. :)
Same!
Yorkshire Andy

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by Yorkshire Andy »

Went to Lidl.....
IMG_20171102_201252440.jpg
Pile of rechargeable batteries £2.99 a pack!

Oh and some glow in the dark paint
If your roughing it, Your doing it wrong ;)

Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine
jansman

Post by jansman »

We had a very brief power cut last night.Less than a minute actually.Reminded me to check the batteries in all our back up lighting today.

After work yesterday we went and did a mahoosive shop.Mrs.J was not liking all the gaps on the shelves in the pantry.It was fine by me,because stuff has been used up.Anyhow,its a satisfying feeling to be stocked up.

Later,I shall be bottling my Christmas beer,splitting enough logs for the week and cleaning the last of the greenhouses.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote:After work yesterday we went and did a mahoosive shop.Mrs.J was not liking all the gaps on the shelves in the pantry.It was fine by me,because stuff has been used up.Anyhow,its a satisfying feeling to be stocked up.
Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a mahoosive shop?
jansman

Post by jansman »

itsybitsy wrote:
jansman wrote:After work yesterday we went and did a mahoosive shop.Mrs.J was not liking all the gaps on the shelves in the pantry.It was fine by me,because stuff has been used up.Anyhow,its a satisfying feeling to be stocked up.
180 quid on that one Itsy.Most weeks there are only the two of us here.We normally spend half that in a week ( if you don't include Mrs J's Prosecco!)I don't know if that would be considered extravagant or tightfisted to be honest,but grub comes in as our highest priority here.

Robert Frost.

Me.
itsybitsy

Post by itsybitsy »

jansman wrote:
itsybitsy wrote:
180 quid on that one Itsy.Most weeks there are only the two of us here.We normally spend half that in a week ( if you don't include Mrs J's Prosecco!)I don't know if that would be considered extravagant or tightfisted to be honest,but grub comes in as our highest priority here.
First of all, Prosecco is *never* considered an extravagance, more an essential requirement! :mrgreen:

Yes, that's a good hefty shop. But if you've ran down the stores and needed to replenish then you need to throw some serious money at the problem IMO. I'm running out of space for stores now, so I've had to reign it in a bit, unfortunately. The garage isn't 100 percent watertight if the rain is extremely bad, so I cant' store stuff in there, and it gets really cold in the winter. I've got a good long cupboard under the stairs that runs the length of the front room, which I could utilise better and I'm going to make that a priority after Xmas.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

Storage is an issue for me too, in spite of living in a 3 bed house :oops: it's a little one, honest! I curtailed my usual run-up of the stocks because of builders coming in, and how many rooms they'd need access to. But I now have a start date of next Monday, and I'm hoping they're out of the house in 2 weeks, so that I can finish off the stock-up before the flu season starts in earnest. Rooms are being rejigged, as well as everything else, so my storage space should be a lot better. Plus my brick shed will be renovated, with storage on the bottom part and the capability to overwinter plants in there, as the asbestos roof will be safely removed and then replaced with polycarbonate. Massive amount of storage in there though - I have some big old-style plastic dustbins, and I can store additive-free charcoal in there, my diatomaceous earth, kilos of salt - big-buy household and garden chemicals etc that don't need to worry about freezing, if we get an exceptionally hard winter. Frees up a lot of the house.
jansman

Post by jansman »

Storage is an issue,for sure.We have an old fashioned walk- in pantry.Stone floor and shelves,and it holds a lot.However,we have a cluster of brick outbuildings, one of which I dry lined and shelves some years ago.That's where the real bulk storage is,and that sort of 'feeds ' the pantry in the house,if that makes sense.We call it 'The Bunker' :lol:

That said,since are now have reduced numbers here, and tastes have changed,we have run a lot of the stores down to a less ' industrial' level.Where shelves have cleared in there,I have stored things like emergency lighting,cooking,hotel bags and such.Keeps it organised.There is only so much food you can store,( I think).

Robert Frost.

Me.
scorpio00x

Post by scorpio00x »

Not been on here for a while but a lots happened.
Took the BIG jump in to getting a mortgage. Moved in couple months ago still not totally unpacked and bills coming out of everywhere. Had no downstairs lights for 6 weeks,got the electrian who sorted a little problem out today for a quote for full retire in channeling in to wall and new fuse board. Possible woodworm in loft has at mo put a stop to that area beng used as storage. So got the guy who will be doing that coming out soon just to double check it's not been done. Got a black 1000l IBC for rainwater storage. Just needs putting in place and connected to gutter on shed. Any advice for base and how to filter water?

work had double discount recently so spent nearly £200 on good old cupboard staples of lentils, rice, pasta, tinned food, herbs and spices, coffee, powdered milk, filled the fridge freezer and freezer up and have 30l of bottled water.

I'm hoping to get some shifts at work to buy a few bits to help with DIY and clear the credit cards that are now being moved to interest free. One long hard road ahead
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

We used breeze blocks stood on their sides for the base of our IBC. Worked very well and raised the tap high enough to fit a watering can under it. Also you can store things under there, we kept hose and watering can tucked out of the way.

Oh and congrats on your new home, sounds like you have it figured out. :P
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon