What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

How are you preparing
jansman

Re: What Preps are you doing this week? Part 4

Post by jansman »

That's a great link Le Mouse.Thanks!.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Arzosah

Post by Arzosah »

jansman wrote:
Arzosah wrote:- my little old gaz camping stove has been my go-to for easy backup for cooking, in a powercut etc. Had a chat at a few camping places, and realised that supplies for that type of cartridge, the C206, fluctuate wildly, even Milletts said they don't get them for months at a time. And they had a little Hexamine stove on offer for £4, which was irresistible, so I bought it :mrgreen: and now I need to know where everyone buys their hexamine tabs from, please?
I am glad you said that about the c206 cartridges. I found the same trouble recently.Regarding hexamine,it is e bay for me.
Interesting! I think production of the C206 is definitely on the wane, so that's a really good reason to change things around for the future.

Andy thanks for the link, I've made a note of all that, but honestly its way over what I wanted as my "budget" (a.k.a. impulse buy) the little hexamine job cost £4, plus I'd have to get into storing petrol, and as I don't have a car, I don't currently do that. But I like having the info available, thanks!

As for my backups, I have the gaz stove still, I have the little hexamine stove now (and need lots more fuel for it) I have the rocket stove, and if the hell-in-a-handbasket scenario came up, I have my little incinerator (with a cast iron lantern sitting inside it, oddly!) that would act as a firepit.

Mouse Elaine has some great ideas, but I like the you tube channel I was recommended to, https://www.youtube.com/user/artisanbreadwithstev Artisan Bread with Steve :mrgreen: no knead is really important to me with arthritis etc.
peejay

Post by peejay »

Wow, mortgagefreeinthree just stole my lunch-break! I think it's going to steal a few evenings too - looks a great resource!
ukpreppergrrl

Post by ukpreppergrrl »

peejay wrote:Wow, mortgagefreeinthree just stole my lunch-break! I think it's going to steal a few evenings too - looks a great resource!
Yup indeedy! Thanks Le Mouse! Her Armageddon Cupboard looks quite familiar.... :)
Blog: http://ukpreppergrrl.wordpress.com
التَكْرَارُ يُعَلِّمُ الحِمارَ "Repetition teaches the donkey" Arabic proverb
"A year from now you may wish you had started today" Karen Lamb
jansman

Post by jansman »

Arzosah,I almost forgot... I also have a Trangia stove and cookset. (Easy to search for) and it burns methylated spirit ( is very economical). It's easy to buy and easy to store. The cookset consists of a kettle/ teapot affair ( rather neat!), fry pan, saucepan ,lid/plate and a pot holder. I use it for fishing, but it's great backup for the house. In fact, I think I prefer it over gas. It's simple.
In three words I can sum up everything I have learned about life: It goes on.

Robert Frost.

Covid 19: After that level of weirdness ,any situation is certainly possible.

Me.
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

jansman wrote:Arzosah,I almost forgot... I also have a Trangia stove and cookset. (Easy to search for) and it burns methylated spirit ( is very economical). It's easy to buy and easy to store. The cookset consists of a kettle/ teapot affair ( rather neat!), fry pan, saucepan ,lid/plate and a pot holder. I use it for fishing, but it's great backup for the house. In fact, I think I prefer it over gas. It's simple.
Seconded. I take mine camping too.

@Arzosah Halfords sell Hexi blocks quite cheap, Millets also but they are a bit more expensive
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
Deeps

Post by Deeps »

jansman wrote:Arzosah,I almost forgot... I also have a Trangia stove and cookset. (Easy to search for) and it burns methylated spirit ( is very economical). It's easy to buy and easy to store. The cookset consists of a kettle/ teapot affair ( rather neat!), fry pan, saucepan ,lid/plate and a pot holder. I use it for fishing, but it's great backup for the house. In fact, I think I prefer it over gas. It's simple.
Brambles wrote:
Seconded. I take mine camping too.

@Arzosah Halfords sell Hexi blocks quite cheap, Millets also but they are a bit more expensive
I used to love my Trangia, don't really use it now, no good reason if I'm honest, it was the 'must have' when I was a yoof hill walker. Excellent bit of gear though and you can usually fit bits and bobs like teabags and wee bags of sugar/salt/pepper etc in there too. I'm more into the Coleman these days, again, probably just a phase as I do have options, some I've still to have a proper play with, much to my shame. :oops: I need to have a play methinks.
Le Mouse

Post by Le Mouse »

Arzosah wrote:Mouse Elaine has some great ideas, but I like the you tube channel I was recommended to, https://www.youtube.com/user/artisanbreadwithstev Artisan Bread with Steve :mrgreen: no knead is really important to me with arthritis etc.
Ooh, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of his videos! I will watch the Dutch Oven ones with interest - a friend taught me how to make dutch oven bread and I love it, but I'd like to find a way to make it which doesn't set my smoke alarm off at least once because the oven has to be so hot. :lol:
Brambles

Post by Brambles »

Le Mouse wrote:
Arzosah wrote:Mouse Elaine has some great ideas, but I like the you tube channel I was recommended to, https://www.youtube.com/user/artisanbreadwithstev Artisan Bread with Steve :mrgreen: no knead is really important to me with arthritis etc.
Ooh, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of his videos! I will watch the Dutch Oven ones with interest - a friend taught me how to make dutch oven bread and I love it, but I'd like to find a way to make it which doesn't set my smoke alarm off at least once because the oven has to be so hot. :lol:
Yep Steve's da man. I love his videos and his bread. :D
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain~anon
pseudonym

Post by pseudonym »

Snagged myself a 35 litre Berghaus Munro in Blue from the bay....

I missed my Green one and one always goes back to one's first love :mrgreen:

Lid needs some elastic....

Couldn't help but pimp it already though:

Fist Aid, Water and Tarp pouches coded for easy use unless you're colour blind then left, right and front... :lol: :lol:
Two is one and one is none, but three is even better.